Author Topic: Space Tone??  (Read 845 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Space Tone??
« on: December 21, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »
For sale nearby - a Space Tone console??? Anyone heard of one? Looks interesting.
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

cheddarbob388

• View Profile
Re: Space Tone??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »
Looks fun, if the price is right, pick it up and play

HiFiFun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Wow, "Space-Tone" ?
Like Lennie Tristano, it's reached Outer Space !

That looks like a nice early 60's Garrard changer in there.
Built like a tank.

HFF

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
 A little net investigating reveals these Space-tone Senator consoles were given away as part of a record club contract, you had to agree to purchasing a set # of records for x years and you got the console for free, with a supposed value of $695. The scheme was determined by the Gov't to be a sort-of-scam in that the value of it was not substantiated by them being actually sold at that price, so it was sued and shut down after 2 years.

No idea as to who actually made them, but the electronics were an all-in-one low power SE receiver, speakers unknown, looks like a Garrard AT-6, a decent little TT. Hope to investigate over the holidays, and pick it up but only if the price is right, it's surely no CG, though at first with such blurry pics I thought it might be a Maggie of some sort. And I really want an Early American (Faux-lonial) style cabinet, so would probably fix and pass on at cost more or less.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »
Well, 14 months later the seller contacted me, still has it, so I'll try to pick it up cheap. It's likely landfill material otherwise. However - Trigger Warning! - due to imo ugly cabinet and more importantly critical space considerations, this might be one that will have to go to pieces, I just don't have the room, and parting is better than sending the whole thing to the dump, you can't save them all. Plus I'd give the cabinet away free on CL, not chop it up, so everything is saved & recycled. UNLESS someone here wants it!  All tube, SE EL84, 6 1961 Jensen "Special Design" ie custom speakers, Garrard AT6 MkII. The receiver is nothing special but it's a nice little Stereo SE AM-FM pre-mpx unit. I'll need to get $90 for it to make it worth my time - still pretty cheap! Any takers?

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:59:37 PM »
Here's one in Maryville, Tn. that appears to be very close to the one that you have pictured.  It looks like it has different legs and is branded EIC.  It looks nice but I think $225 firm is too much money and it's been for sale for a long time..   

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/atq/d/50s-60s-era-stereo-update/6815539471.html

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
Maybe the best thing to do is buy it cheap, fix it up electronically and physically, and sell it for a profit.  To my eyes, it's a good-looking console (mahogany plus MCM), and I bet others would agree.  Taste is an odd thing... one guy's ugly is another  guy's great design.  Preserving this one would be a plus.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 11:17:52 AM »
Sometimes when poring through old Photofacts, I would see a snazzy console of weird brand nae with literally an All American 5 radio chassis in it, turns out it was a rent to own brand

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:38:07 AM »
It was always a disappointment because the front page picture on the Photofact made the console look like it was stuffed with huge speakers, powerful amplifier (which there was always room for) etc, and the inside pages of he Photofact had an AC-DC five tuber chassis and teeny weenie speakers that looked lost in the huge speaker grill area. I used to think that the Photofact was printed wrong with the back pages of a small table radio chassis picture printed with a cover photo of the big console. Then an old newspaper ad would feature that odd brand name in a rent to own ad.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 02:17:24 PM »
Chris, ideally you're right, but the cab is pretty beat in person, not near as nice as the one Dan linked to in TN. Also consoles just don't sell around here as it's sort of a semi-depressed area since IBM went from 15,000 to 800, Singer-Link and Emerson Elec. left, and Endicott-Johnson shoes, Ansco film, and Kroehler furniture went out of business. Sort of Detroit East. It's why I've been able to buy consoles really cheap, $60 for the VoM, $65 for the Fisher Warwick on my other thread. The Clairtone is going begging on CL for $25.  In the past one I saved I've usually ended giving them away as I don't have room to stockpile. It may be a moot point anyhow, I shot him an offer and have yet to hear back.

Ed, you're also right, turns out it's a kinda cheesy all-in-one SE 2 x 6BM8 receiver with dinky trannies and bean counter speakers, the Garrard is kind of the one good thing about it, and even it's MOL at best.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 11:10:11 PM »
   I guess cuz the Garrard was visible to the potential rent to own customer and the other cheesy parts weren't.
         I see it had lots of knobs too.
           When I was a pre-teen, I was still fascinated by any console, any table radio, and any phonograph at a friends or neighbors house. If it had a tone control, i thought it was pretty classy, and separate bass and treble controls were a thrill to see. Then I saw a Bogen amplifier with selector, loudness contour, lo filter, hi filter, phono turnover, phono rolloff,  I don't think I slept that night !!   Or the occasional Blaupunct or Telefunken with those massive glass dials with every world capital city, the magic eye tuning tube, all those ivory piano keys across the bottom. , Had I only known all those extra controls would only be a source of scratchiness and intermittent operation in 30 years.
          I guess if I would see a Concert Grand or something with those multiple biamp chassis and pushpull parallel tubes everywhere and multiple woofers and tweeters all in one cabinet no less that would be the old thrill again. Like a drug addiction, you need a larger dose as time goes on for the same effect.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 01:02:02 AM »
   Or the occasional Blaupunct or Telefunken with those massive glass dials with every world capital city, the magic eye tuning tube, all those ivory piano keys across the bottom. , Had I only known all those extra controls would only be a source of scratchiness and intermittent operation in 30 years.

And what a mess when you try to read the schematic.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 09:18:37 PM »
U said it. Especially when you go cross-eyed trying to follow the zigs and zags of the wiring , so many of them unnecessary. For examply two of the voltage divide taps go to one tube pin only. They could have just said to 6F5 cathode or to 6H6 cathode or to R20 6L6 grid and gotten rid of three of the tangled wires.   
 some schematics are drawn upside down with cathodes on the top and plates on the bottom.
      when you get used to the Sams Photofact nomenclature and style of drawing and especially the method of just saying + 250 or -24  on each pin that gets that voltage instead of connecting tube after tube with parallel lines, everything makes more sense.
 Does that GE have a revolving drum dial that just shows one band at a time?  And was it available in table model and console ?  But no record player hookup, at least on the schematic. But lots and lots of radio guts, if it's all working OK it must really bring in the short wave stations.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 10:58:45 PM »
Yeah, the GE has the revolving dial scale, all freed up and working.  It has a serious look to it--I think GE put more design work into the RF sections than some other companies.  You could boost tube count--the way radio companies said "mine is bigger than yours" back in those days-- by adding tubes in the audio section or, as GE did here, by adding an extra IF amp and transformer.  Their choice made a better radio, at least in the days of efficient speakers that might not really need P-P output.

By the way, my comment about reading the schematic really  was directed at those German radios with the piano-key controls for band, input, and tone.  It made for a really complex drawing--lots of lines and little switch contacts.

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
              Yes, those German post war chassis seemed intent on adding circuits like crazy around each tube instead of just adding another tube or two. Maybe they were heavily taxed on number of tubes like their cars were on engine displacement. And those parallel piano key switches rather than rotary were so complicated looking on the schematic that I think a lot of Photofacts didn't bother redrawing the schematic or even translating to the German to English, they just printed the German schematic verbatim. (to use their word)
            The same chassis that was in their largest console would be in their most compact table model.  I wonder if the whole concept of consoles were mainly for the American market and that table model was standard European fare just like even their luxury cars were not about to "go American" with huge guzzling fin-mobiles.
            I totally agree about the tube count thing. A Midwest radio I had used 1/2 of one 6H6 for the AM detector and 1/2 of a second 6H6 for the AVC rectifier  each tube having its second half unused. They had a separate tube going to the AVC line whose plate current drove the tuning indicator when any of the AVC controlled IF amplifier tubes could have done the same thing. Another tube was a station spotter BFO oscillator whose cathode was grounded when a push-button was held in on the front panel. Any of the IF stages would have done the same thing by having the button remove a screen bypass capacitor or something similar. The radio had 18 tubes perform like 12. 
           The GE model you have probably outperforms the Midwes. I can't wait til you get all the problems fixed to hear your report on how well it receives