Author Topic: Steelman Record Player  (Read 840 times)

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
Re: Steelman Record Player
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 03:54:36 AM »
 yes, nice big output transformer, but I'll bet that poor electrolytic cap didn't enjoy having those three hot vacuum tubes directly under it with trapped hot air unable to vent out too easily.
          My dad's Symphonic had the same cosmetics on its VM changer, but it said Symphonic under the gold plastic and had maroon knobs, otherwise identical. No tuner, weaker audio (6X4, 6CZ5s) and it got plenty hot, so I can imagine how hot the Steelman got under the lid with its extra tuner heat and 6BQ5s. 

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
  Well, did it again, posted a reply without studying the pictures enough I thought the amp/tuner chassis was mounted vertically next to the turntable, not horizontally in the front panel and thus assumed the electrolytic was directly below the hot tubes instead of next to them, which is still cap-killing location.
      I think the all-time worst cap location was the Dynaco MkII power amp with 2 EL34s and a 5U4 surrounding the cap, a metal cage boxing it in and a 50 ohm 10 watt wirewound resistor under the cap soldered to 2 of it's 4 lugs. Plus, being a knobless power amp it was advertised as meant to be "hidden out of sight " usually in an
 unvented cabinet where it could cook itself unnoticed.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 09:27:54 PM »
I was always surprised that people couldn't figure out that tubes were little heaters and needed ventilation.  I had a summer-job boss who had built his Heath hi-fi into an antique chest, hiding the power amp in its own personal oven space.  He was so proud of making it invisible.  When I built a Heath AA-100 integrated amp for my Dad I removed the steel cover because it seemed to need some relief.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 07:06:16 AM »
Chris,

When I was a kid I had a Heath AA100.  I too removed the metal case because of heat.  When the case was on the output tubes glowed a bright orange.  Case removed everything was fine.  Where those tubes 7591's?

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Yeah, as I recall.  My AA-100 is one of those someday-in-retirement projects. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
You should hurry up and retire.  I recommend it, that way you have time for all those things sitting in the garage.   ::)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
You should hurry up and retire.  I recommend it, that way you have time for all those things sitting in the garage.   ::)

Bill

I have finally figured out how to do my job, and it seems a shame to quit now that it's a lot easier.  Plus I work with good people.  Plus I get paid my full salary PLUS I'm getting full Social Security, the most I can get because I waited until 70, PLUS I have mandatory minimum withdrawals from my retirement plans, and gee whiz, I'm rich!!!  That means I can support my bad habits like boats, cars, and old radios.  Oh, and did I add that I can regard my retired younger brother as some sort of wimp?

Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
Chris,

Wow, I guess you are rich!  Want to adopt me?  ;)  I must be nice to really enjoy your job.  I worked with a bunch of really nice people too but the company really changed about 5 years before I retired.  It turned into a not nice place to work, so I got out.  Two years after I retired it sold and I would not have worked for the new owners so I guess it worked out. 

Does your wimpy brother have hobbies like you?

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
I'm glad to know a rich man, Chris.  ;)

I consider myself rich, but not wealthy.  I used to work for wealthy people and would not want their life.  I am rich with the grace of God, friends and lots of projects to keep me out of trouble.  I am officially a 15-year throat cancer survivor.  They gave me less than a 2% chance of living five years.  You may know wealthier men than I am, more famous than I am, but nobody more fortunate than I am.

I was taught to never take a job for the money.  I always worked a job I liked.  Life it too short.  I have a friend who lives in the same house he was born in, it needs one of everything.  He drove a junky old car, dressed like a bum, spent absolutely no money on anything.  Did not own a TV.  Worked all the overtime he could, hated his job, his boss.  Saved every dime.  He had a stroke when he was 63.  Now he is in a nursing home, slobbering on his chin.  Spending all that money he saved for "a rainy day" on a nursing home, for someone to change his diaper.  He was always criticizing me for "pissing away" good money for a nice house, a wife, pets, things that cost money.  I lived my life like every day would be my last.  I had a ball.  Retirement sucks, but a crappy little part time gig fixed all that. 

I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 06:46:51 PM »
The wimpy brother lives in Wyoming, a place he loves, and spends lots of time outdoors, which suits him just fine. 

The saddest people are those with nothing that interests them. It puzzles me how people can get that way. This world is such a fascinating place.  My Dad wasn't the wealthiest guy in his line of work, but he enjoyed what he did and loved longer than most of his friends who made more money.  He squandered lots of time on us kids, something we didn't really appreciate until we were older.

I've never had a pension plan so I've been contributing to IRAs and a 401(k) for a long time.  Now I count how many years are behind me and how many are in front, likely, and it looks like it's time to spend some unless I want the relatives to inherit it.  So I'll probably hire somebody to advise me on the Chevy (!!) and then look around for a body shop willing to tackle the '38 Buick in a good-enough kind of way.  It's still a little scary to wonder how much to save and how much to spend, which is another incentive to keep working. 

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »
Amen to both Greg and Chris!

Bill