Author Topic: Magnavox color theatre Singapore 21 - PA  (Read 373 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Magnavox color theatre Singapore 21 - PA
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:36:51 PM »
This is an entry-level 15 watt solid state stereo receiver and all-tube TV chassis "series 45" or U450 - but record changer looks newer

Was $795 new according to magazine ad showing it as model "546". 1965 catalog lists as model 2-T564 for $750, so it may be a 1964 held-over (prefix 2?) until producing more rectangular screen color.

CRT cataract is an easy fix, and if I had room, would be worth a 3 hour drive at that price too.

link to ad https://pennstate.craigslist.org/atq/d/antique-tv-record-player-radio/6561195424.html

The prize theatre IMHO would be a 1962 model using the "series 37" (RCA CTC11 clone) TV chassis and an all-tube stereo
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox color theatre Singapore 21 - PA
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
I've not seen any evidence that an all-tube color Stereo Theater was ever built.  There was a three-piece color Stereo Theater listed in the 1961 catalog, but it is not in the 1962 catalog.  My understanding is the first color Stereo Theater in one cabinet was introduced for the 1963 model year with an Astro-Sonic solid state stereo and was a roundie.  If you have hard evidence of an all-tube color Stereo Theater for 1962, I'd be interested in seeing it.

I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
This TV-stereo combination is on the last page of the 1965 Magnavox Brochure, listed as having a 15-watt receiver and four speakers.

If this is still around when I make a trip west in a week, I will have a look. I could upgrade to the 20 watt receiver I have with a tuning meter.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 04:40:06 AM »
     Well it is probably already so heavy, being a Magnavox wooden stereo console with a full sized tube color set added in for good measure, that going to a more powerful heavier audio chassis would barely be noticed as you slide it up the staircase !!
    Those round 21" all glass color picture tubes were pretty thick and heavy all by themselves and they had a bad habit of regenerating some of their high voltage hours after you completely discharged them several times, which doesn't help when you have its full weight cradled in your arms to be getting an unexpected jolt.
      Good luck finding the console still there waiting for you !

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Ed,
You wouldn't believe this but I think I saw this one for sale at Kutztown Radio Show last Friday. They had a tag for $75 on it saying the 21FJP22 was good, though it needed the cataract repair. They also had a working Magnavox 23" BW Theatre in Antique White FP, pretty ugly but a fine tube HiFi was inside 8)
Besides Moyer's Electronics, I saw a TV repair van there with a Williamsport (Bill-town) address. Im pretty sure its the same one.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave