Author Topic: Need some advice restoring this beauty.  (Read 876 times)

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Need some advice restoring this beauty.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »
Like I said I really like the Sea Foam.  I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 quad cab 8' box Cummins diesel pickup that only gets driven in the summer.  It's never been in the snow/salt, just stays in the garage all winter long.   It's my additive and moisture preventer, and since I have started using it I have had no moisture in the system.  For a diesel it's an easy check because at the fuel filter there is a drain. When I have checked I only get fuel, no water.  It also helps keep the injectors clean.

I also use the expensive gas for my two cycle stuff and burn it in the Metropolitan. I found with the two cycle stuff if you use gas with ethanol the seals and hoses disintegrate. 

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 07:27:57 AM »
I've tried seafoam, on a 2.9 Ford V6 with a noisy lifter.  I gave it 3 treatments with also adding it to 2 oil changes.  No effect.  I guess there may be things it can do,  But I haven't had the need of it for anything else.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
I have been getting by using gasoline with ethanol in it.  That is all you can get in AZ.  I use Sta-Bil in every drop of gas I burn in AZ, particularly in the Buick.  The Mini does not care, as long as you get 91 octane, which is 60 cents higher a gallon.  ::)

Try some Marvel Mystery oil in your little Ford engine with the sticky lifter.  Or some Rislone if you can still find it.  Grandpa used to dump a quart of automatic transmission fluid in his Buicks and run it a hundred miles or so, just before an oil change.  I guess he figured it did the hydraulic lifters some good.  The oil back then was not like what we have today.

I have not had any problems with fuel with ethanol in my small engines.  I may try some gas with no ethanol one of these days.  I am a big believer in Sta-Bil.   ;)
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »
Does Sea Foam make something for the oil?  What I buy, at least I thought this, was just for fuel.  Greg's right, try some Marvel or Rislone.  There is also a product that's called Mechanic in a Bottle that has good ratings. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
I have been getting by using gasoline with ethanol in it.  That is all you can get in AZ.  I use Sta-Bil in every drop of gas I burn in AZ, particularly in the Buick.  The Mini does not care, as long as you get 91 octane, which is 60 cents higher a gallon.  ::)

I have not had any problems with fuel with ethanol in my small engines.  I may try some gas with no ethanol one of these days.  I am a big believer in Sta-Bil.   ;)

I burn ethanol gas in my modern vehicles.  They get used enough (except for the Mustang in the winter) to keep the fuel turning over.  It's the longer-term storage when the damned stuff comes apart.  And some older engines cannot tolerate the ethanol in hoses and seals, as noted.  My outboards get used very little, but you've gotta have gas for when they are needed, so the gas just sits there.  That's when it separate out and the ethanol absorbs water and the steel starts rusting.

Tonight I cut my grass for the first time. I had last year's ethanol gas.  It started and ran, then had a snit for a minute or two after running for ten minutes.  I'm guessing I had some sort of phase separation or maybe a bit of water. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:08 PM »
Rex, some of the early 2.9's had solid lifters.  Wasn't that the little Capri engine that started out in English Fords?  I don't know if or when the 2.9 got hydraulic lifters.  I don't know the year or engine code of the one you have, but it might pay to check.  You might need to adjust the valves to get the noise to stop.  Seems to me those were rather noisy engines anyway. 
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.