Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration  (Read 21089 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration
« Reply #480 on: June 12, 2019, 07:57:40 PM »
I am cleaning the shelves where the TV chassis and the picture tube sit.  I'm going to stain and finish them so they will look better.

And it's in a place where nobody will generally see it.  But doing things not because they're visible, but because you want it to be right, is what we call craftsmanship.

Chris Campbell

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 12, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
Those casters look to be a big improvement over the originals.

As far as the particle board goes, if it were me I think I would be inclined to pull off the little angle brace blocks and cut a piece of 1/2" or 5/8" plywood to fit nice and snug... then slather it up real good with glue, clamp it up tight and double up the whole base.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 12, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »
Thanks, Ken, for the kind words.  My goal is to get this done in three years.  I have three weeks to go on my first year.  I appreciate everyone's interest.   :)

I had thought about completely replacing the bottom panels.  I chickened out.  Those little braces for that front apron are happy where they are.  The lower apron is load bearing.  Your suggestion is well-taken.  I have used epoxy in the past in a similar situation with good results.  I'm going to try epoxy first and see where that gets me.  The wheels are a good replacement.  I believe my Concert Grand and Imperial are going to get a set of those. 

Chris, those two shelves looked like they had been holding a Cummins diesel rather than a TV set.  I can't put this much work into something then return the TV to such a shabby environment. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
While I am waiting on Ron the Refinisher to do whatever it is he is going to do, I am going to work on how to eliminate some of the rat's nest of wiring when all the components go back into the cabinet.  Thanks to Bill and a brilliant idea we came up with, the main mess under the tuner involves the wires from the external speaker switch to the crossover network board.  The method I'm considering is to get some appropriately colored wire and make extensions to the existing wiring.  I'll plug the extensions without hacking the original wiring.  The wires to the speakers on the tuner end are part of that extension plan as well.  The wires to the changer and TV chassis can be routed together straight across to the upright.  The Multiplex adapter and remote control chassis wiring can be routed along side the bass speaker under the tuner.  I'll use longer cables for the Multiplex adapter to tuner and route it toward the rear of the cabinet.  The plan is to create a hotrod back panel for the cabinet like I did on the Concert Grand so most of the electronics will show.  There is so much stuff crammed into this cabinet and Magnavox put tube shields on too many tubes to suit me.  The tuner and MPX tubes have lots of shields.  This keeps the tubes from glowing as much.  I realize this is a petty gripe, but I like to see things sparkle when they run.  The Concert Grand with the open back I made for it is the prettiest contraption when it runs I have ever seen.   :) :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:58 PM »
As to those tube shields... bear in mind that no company is going to throw in extra parts just for the hell of it.  If they put a shield on, there was probably some RF-related reason for doing so. ( Now I'll admit that there was a time when some companies threw in extra tubes or transistors, but that was at a time when people evaluated quality by tube or transistor count.  Some used faulty transistors as diodes but still counted them.  But that was all done to increase profit.  I've never heard anybody boast, "My device has more tube shields than your does.")

Chris Campbell

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2019, 08:58:36 PM »
I do not know if it is the case here, but in the ham radio community there discussions about tube shields helping to dissipate heat from the tube envelope to increase performance and prolong tube life.  Granted, they are more specifically designed for heat dissipation than what we see in the consumer market.  Look up "IERC tube shield" and you will find some articles explaining their use in military receivers of the mid-fifties, such as the Collins R-390a receiver.
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 17, 2019, 08:45:03 AM »
Ron got the epoxy on the bottom of the cabinet.  That looks nice enough to just leave as is.  Next up is to finish applying shellac to the inside of the cabinet with it flopped on its top and to touch up spots I may have missed.  Then, if it ever quits raining, we'll be ready for finish.  The roof on my "oak tree spray booth" leaks when it rains.   ;)

electra225

• View Profile

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 17, 2019, 05:52:29 PM »
I put a wash coat of shellac on the lids and top so I could sand and level a bit.  I found a faint, 4" water ring I had not noticed.  I believe black grain filler will hide it.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2019, 05:34:52 PM »
Water ring has been taken care of.  Grain filling done.  Shellac done.  Sanding done.  I may finally be ready for a finish.  Weather is the issue now. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 19, 2019, 08:53:18 PM »
Weather is the issue now.

Damn, ain't that the truth. It's now past mid-June and we're operating on a ratio of one sunny day to 5 cool, gray, and/or rainy ones.  This is crazy.  The Great Lakes are very close to record high levels because of all the precipitation.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 21, 2019, 09:09:44 AM »
Chris...

You must be on the right side of things up there in TC.  Down here in little ole' Hart, we are seeing the sun once in about 10 days.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »
The weather guessers say highs in the 90's with humidity to match thru the weekend, then rain Sunday evening into Monday.  The plan right now is to try and shoot this thing Tuesday evening.  We'll see....... ::) :)

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »
Greg!

Good thoughts going your way that you will have a clear day for shooting.  :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 22, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »
The weather guessers got the high humidity forecast spot on.  It is so close here, you can feel it when you breathe.  Our gauge says 95% humidity, and I believe that to be pretty close.  It looks like it could rain any minute. 

I am working on the speaker grilles.  They are tempered Masonite and have been sprayed with glue to retain the grille cloth.  I'm using a single-edged razor to get as much of the old glue off as I can.  Then I'll sand with 80 grit paper to prepare the surface for more glue.  I'll use Elmer's white glue to retain the new cloth.  There were two types of grille cloth on this cabinet from the factory.  I'll bet there were not too many that left the factory like that.  I'll spray the speaker grilles with flat black paint to clean them up a bit.