Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration  (Read 23888 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater 1MR418M restoration
« Reply #540 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:13 AM »
I'm sure it will.  If I manage to get the picture tube back in, the mask and safety glass will keep it from falling forward.  The brackets are made in such a way the tube is unlikely to fall backwards.  The original cork was dried out, dirty and broken.  The brackets were contacting the glass on the tube. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 12, 2019, 08:30:58 AM »
We now have a total of 18 coats of material on the cabinet.  This is scheduled to be its final coat.  We'll see how it flows and go from there.  The front doors and the top sliders are one session behind, so we'll sand this evening and hit them again tomorrow afternoon.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 12, 2019, 11:13:06 AM »
So far, about four hours after the last coats were applied, everything looks good.  We are going to wait about a week, then turn the cabinet on its top to replace the pilot light and Magnalux sensor.  Then the speaker panels with grille cloth all go in.  Then the picture tube, then the TV tuner and external speaker switch.  Then the mask and safety glass go in front of the picture tube.  We have another session to work on the sliders scheduled for Saturday afternoon sometime.  With the cabinet on its top, I have made notations in my restoration file to clean any finish off the wheels we may have inadvertently gotten on them.  If nothing shows up as the finish cures, we are done with the main cabinet.

This cabinet is not the easiest one to get an even finish on.  I have learned lots of little tricks on this project.  There are so many differently-angled surfaces that work against each other when spraying finish.  This cabinet really could use an airbrush in some areas rather than a spray gun.  We used a DeVilbiss gun.  The only real problem we had was the fisheye situation on the corner of one lid.  The one I used Go-Jo on.  Satin poly bailed us out on this one.  That stuff sands as easy as shellac.  It did not hide the grain.  There are lots of "feature" in the "furniture" that we did not want to hide.  Gun stock guys call the wood on a gun "furniture".  We can't make a determination on gloss at this point.  As poly dries, it gets shiny.  Then, as it moves, shrinks and fills, it loses some of the gloss.  I'm sure there are areas we'll ultimately need to work.  I only see one dust nib I need to do something with and it's on a slider.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: July 13, 2019, 04:29:56 PM »
I spent a couple hours this afternoon finishing up the cleaning process on fasteners and doodads needed to put everything back into the cabinet.  Unless I have overlooked something, I believe I removed the last of the cigarette smoke residue.  All the little brackets and doodads have part numbers stamped into the metal.  I thought that was different, not something I would expect. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2019, 06:09:57 PM »
We're all waiting to see the final product.  And maybe a video of the TV image, too.

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »
You probably added another 12 pounds to it with all that varnish!!!

I bet it'll be beautiful.  I'm not repeating my mistakes from my first car restoration...  the '62 is going slowly but I'm not stressing.  I "see" the final product and am enjoying the process and small victories where before, I was like a tornado. 

I can appreciate your restraint in wanting it done right versus fast.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 14, 2019, 11:51:48 PM »
This will be our second hot-rodded polyurethane finish on a Magnavox cabinet.  I fully expect this thing to be magnificent when it is all done.  It will not be done for at least another year.  While the finish cures, I'll have time to see what the TV and remote control are going to do. 

I used a quart and a half of shellac.  I used almost a quart of satin poly.  We sprayed on two quarts of gloss poly.  Plus grain filler, plus stain.  There is no surface on this cabinet anywhere that does not have some type of finish on it.  No bare wood anywhere.  Partly for preservation, partly to rid the wood of cigarette smell.  I used satin poly on the inside of the cabinet in spots.  The only thing we taped off was the record changer compartment.  The paint on it is good enough all I did was clean it.  The rest of the cabinet interior was oversprayed  with finish as we went along. 

A video of TV performance may be a tad above my pay grade.  I will be quite satisfied taking a still picture of a working TV. 

I have some pictures I'll share.  Life has gotten in the way of downloading them.  My camera has the nasty habit of spitting out its batteries halfway thru the download.  That causes a mess.  The latch on the battery compartment is on the fritz.  Not repairable.  New camera time.  I'm using shipping tape.  Crude, but effective.  I know how to use this camera.  I'm not looking forward to leaning how to use its replacement.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 15, 2019, 02:08:42 PM »
Since I got rained out mowing, I tinkered with my camera a bit and got these pictures downloaded.  The first picture is a "before" picture.  The next picture will be a similar shot of how it looks now.  The lights in my garage are not the best for taking pictures.  They are too glary.  I could not get good shots of the features in the wood.  If you look at the second picture I posted, the top looks darker than the sides.  If you look at the picture taken from the side, the top matches.  The wood on this cabinet is amazing.  It is not quite as light in real life as it looks here.

If the top picture is not evidence enough of why not to put lacquer on a cabinet, I don't know what would be.  Look how much dirt that finish absorbed.  That would not happen with a tougher finish.

The top sliders will get another double coat of finish.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 15, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
It looks amazing Greg!  Not at all what I remember while I had it stored waiting for your pickup.  It really will be "Magnificent" when done.  :)

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:15 PM »
Wow!  Now I'm waiting to see how it looks "all dressed up" with grille cloth and innards.  Certain to be very impressive.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 15, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
We got this evening's session called due to rain.  One of those "two inch" rains where the drops are two inches apart.  It has spit rain here most of the day, thanks to the remnants of tropical storm Barry.  We are scheduled to resume activities tomorrow evening.  I hope that session concludes the spray portion of the finish.  It is supposed to get hot, in the middle 90's, starting Wednesday with humidity to match.  They are saying "feels like" temps near 105.  I was not going to post any pictures until I got the grille cloth and picture tube in, but I got in a hurry.   ::) ;) :)

Thank you for your interest and words of encouragement.  Ron's the man when it comes to spraying any type of finish.  I'm well satisfied up to this point.

I have just over 150 hours in this so far.  Plus 18 hours for Ron.  So, if you could find somebody to actually do what I have done and were paying them $40 per hour, you would have $6000 in this already and would not be done.  We are over half done, maybe 60% done.  We have re-assembly and sorting the TV and remote and changer left.  One could have nearly $10,000 invested in a $50 Stereo Theater if you had to pay to have it done.  I figure at least 50 hours left.  I have about $300 in parts, plus the transportation to get it here.  I still have a quad of output tubes, changer parts plus miscellaneous yet to buy, so my $500 parts budget will be pretty close.  Ten hours next spring should get the finish worked, I'd think.  :) :)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 16, 2019, 09:02:12 PM »
The big event for today was the installation of the "Magnavox" script on the front lower corner of the cabinet.  (Thanks, Roger!!  :) :) :))  That sets the front off and is a welcome addition to the project.  We sprayed what we hope to be the final coats of finish on the top sliders about 7 this evening.  The heat index is supposed to be in the 105 to 109 degree range here thru Sunday, so any finish work is impossible until the first of next week. 

The next step is scheduled for Saturday morning.  We are going to flop the cabinet onto its top, then install the Magnalux sensor and the pilot light along with all the little doodads associated therewith.  And clean the wheels.  Then the picture tube goes in, then the TV tuner, then the mask, then the safety glass and all its trim. 

The grille cloth will be here in 5 to 10 days.  I procrastinated, not being able to choose which I wanted.  I can install the picture tube and that and not be getting ahead of myself.  The grille cloth technically should go in first.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 17, 2019, 06:00:32 AM »
Progress!  And, the weather cooperated so you do spray last night.   :) :)  Of course, we all want to see photos as you get things put back in place.   ;) ;) :) :) ::)   The weather guessers say we are to expect temps in the 90's with humidity to match now through the weekend.  It's summer, so I'm not really complaining.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 17, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »
The sliding lids look good at this point.  We'll see what Ron has to say, but I'd say they are done.  It's time to move on.  We may do more harm than good trying for perfection, given the weather conditions and considering my outside "spray booth."  I reckon if somebody sees it and doesn't like it, I'll ask to see theirs so I can lay my eyes on perfection.   ::) :) ;)

I got flamed pretty good on ARF one time when I told a guy this very thing.  Not much of a sense of humor for some of those guys over there.   ::)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 17, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
Life isn't much fun without a sense of humor to cushion the disappointments, minor setbacks, and annoyances.  The humorless folks aren't much fun to be around.  Somebody on ARF was offended that I put the wrong speakers in the little console.  I was going to upset the carefully-engineered tonal balance, basically.  And my new speakers were for sealed enclosures so they'd be awful in open-back.  It would be a disaster.  But what I knew was that the wrong speakers were better AND cheaper, and if they didn't work, surely there would be another place for them.  And so far, they sound pretty damned good to me.  I've never quite caught on to condescension so I just reply in good faith.  It's not worth picking fights.  Don't let their problems get turned into yours.

Chris Campbell