Author Topic: Magnavox Cabinet Upkeep  (Read 394 times)

PanAm

• View Profile
Magnavox Cabinet Upkeep
« on: August 12, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
Hey guys,
I havenít been on in about six months. You may remember me as the guy who owns the Ď62 stereo theatre with the right speakers not working. Unfortunately, I havenít been able to perform much diagnostics or maintenance on it. Iíve just ordered some service manuals and a big can of DeOxit and will be replacing all the tubes. Anyway, I have been using the stereo periodically but it is in our basement and it can be kind of dark so I donít go down there too often. We are remodeling our basement to make it into an entertainment area because at the present it is unfinished. Since there will be people other than me down there now, I am starting to turn my attention to the Magnavox to get it in tip top shape to use for entertainment. I was wondering what you guys recommend to keep the finish nice on your consoles.

P.S. Since mine has a black and white TV in it, I was wondering how i would be able to play vintage episodes of one of my favorite TV show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Cabinet Upkeep
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
As far as your cabinet goes, do you have any photos you can post so we can see what it looks like.  There are several products that you can use for specific problems.  Photos and a description will help.

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:25:25 AM »
You said that you will be "replacing all the tubes."  Better to use a capable tube tester to figure out which ones are gone.  Even tubes that test 'weak" will often perform satisfactorily in a circuit.  It's worth spending some time checking tube socket connections--clean the tube pins and socket contacts. It's easy to blame problems on tubes--we all do it because they're so much faster and easier to replace than, say, a failed capacitor. But wholesale replacements aren't usually the best use of your money. 

The finish question depends on the problem.  If it's just a bit dull and worn, a soap-and-water wash followed by a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and turpentine can make thinks look good. Or Maybe some Howard's finish restorer.  Or just a wash and some paste wax.  We all have favorite approaches. Others may suggest different ones.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 10:51:39 AM »
Somebody replaced all the tubes in my Stereo Theater.  What model do you have?
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant I would be replacing all 6EU7s. Last time you guys said the one in the tuner is an immediate suspect for the one side not working. Iíd also like to find out where the best places to get tubes online would be.

To answer your question Electra225, my stereo theatre is the ďScandinaviaĒ model in the 1962 catalog. Congratulations on getting yours. I hope that you would be able to help me in my problems with my stereo theatre.

Attached is some photos of my instrument. Iím not home so these are the ones I have on my phone, if you guys need others I would be more than happy to take some more. The finish is immaculate. Came from the estate of a widow that never had kids.

Also, this may be a topic for another chat group, but the red light on the bottom right of my right front speaker covering is burnt out. Where could I get a new one?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 11:28:00 PM »
Yours is a 1MV357.  24" CRT, which is really better from an availability standpoint.  I'll be thrilled to help you anyway I can with your Stereo Theater.  I'm glad to know there is someone else out there that appreciates these electronic works of art.  Don't let it intimidate you.  All it is is a Magnavox stereo with a TV in the middle.  Do one component at a time, takes lots of pictures, draw diagrams, use hang tags.  Do not trust anything to memory.  Document, document, document.  Otherwise, no big deal.   ;)

The red light on the bottom under the "Magnavox" sign is the traditional Magnavox pilot light.  That thing MUST work!  (Kidding).  It takes a #47 bulb.  You look in there on the backside of where it is.  The lamp will be attached to a bracket.  The bulb will have a long cardboard doohickey on it.  That doohickey directs the light from the bulb to the little red genuine Magnavox pilot light jewel.  Easy does it!  You can break the tail off the red jewel.  Gingerly slide the lamp off the bracket, pulling steadily towards you.  Some come easy, some not so easy.  Just don't get carried away with prying and that and tear the whole contraption out of the speaker board.  A spot of PB Blaster on a Q-Tip to lube the bracket a bit helps.  Cussing helps, too.   ;)

The bulb burns out over time.  Replace the bulb.  If it is black, it is dead.  If it is clear and tests good on an ohmmeter. check the two twisted brown wires that go to the amplifier and supply power to the pilot light.  Sometimes one of the wires has become disconnected.  As to your speaker problem, make sure they are connected, and connected properly.  They are easy to become unplugged and easy to get put back wrong.  Always well to check before you go any farther.

Good luck!   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:59:41 AM »
If your cabinet looks as good in person as your photos a little furniture polish is all you need.  I like Guardsman Furniture Polish.  They make several products including a wood cleaner.  I purchase mine at my local ACE Hardware store.  Howards is another product that is recommended here on the forum.  I personally have never used it, I guess I'm just stuck on Guardsman.   

Bill

PanAm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »
Thanks guys! I have a pack of ten of those bulbs ordered and I will go to the hardware store to pick up that Guardsmen.