Author Topic: RCA TV  (Read 243 times)

Bill

• View Profile
RCA TV
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:29:28 PM »
I know this is not a TV site, but I spotted this on Craig's list and thought it was cool.  Especially since I have one just like it except Blonde.  Oh, by the way, it's not a color set.  It was RCA's top of the line around 1957-58.  It included a hifi speaker system, (woofer and 2 tweeters) and a place to plug in a phonograph. 

Bill

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-mid-century-1958-rca/6720147121.html

electra225

• View Profile
Re: RCA TV
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
That is a handsome set for sure.  That will go nicely with the blonde one you have, Bill.  I can never remember if the Super or the Deluxe was the higher trim.  That thing would be a sweetheart with a little tune-up.   :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »
I love the ad's mention of capacitors lighting up.  Probably true....

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
Capacitors, bulbs, tubes, transistors are all the same to the uninformed.   ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:42:15 AM »
I didn't know RCA made a super set, I have only seen a deluxe or lesser models.  This one, and my blonde, have high end features electronically, audio, speakers, but the cabinet is typical of the 50's.  The top and sides are masonite that's had a woodgrain painted, or how ever they did it back then.  The front is the real wood surrounding the picture tube and speaker area.  This one is definitely in better shape than my blonde set.  Mine has the finish coming off the masonite part. 

Bill 

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 04:17:31 AM »
   I have a 21 inch version of that same set that was my grandmother's and is now in my living room along with my mother's '68 Magnavox full size Mediteranian.   It has an interesting chassis style---a vertical chassis with a large hole in its center that straddles the picture tube neck and yoke coil. One of the few TVs  that has a totally flat back and can be pushed right up against a wall (good for heat buildup !)   It has a turn on thermal delay relay that lets the filaments warm up first for 45 seconds or so then you hear a click noise and the B-plus is applied and the picture and sound come on simultaneously. The "Panoramic" speaker system has the 2 tweeters mounted at 45 degree angles on either side of the woofer. Sliding the switch in back from TV to PHONO disconnects brightness control which makes screen go dark, and reconnects volume control from sound detector to the phono jack which turns the set into a 215 watt draw record player amplifier-using the same power as the TV would in normal mode. Several circuit boards for video IF, sound channel, vertical horizontal oscillator circuits   

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 04:55:57 AM »
That set had a full 4 MHz wide video bandwidth which was beginning to disappear by the late fifties as adoption of the color standard for transmission changed the requirement to 3 MHz for the video to leave the 3.08 to 4.08 MHz color sidebands region unmolested. The dropoff in resolution was barely noticeable and only the top line B and W sets had it anyway. You needed a large picture tube to see t0e difference  and only a completely ghost free TV signal would show it. When watching Perry Mason reruns on my 21 incher in the late sixties it had a remarkably crisp detailed picture. Getting the set back to usable condition will be a winter project. It hasn't been turned on for twenty or more years.

Focus was adjusted by moving a spade lug to one of 3 DC voltage terminals and leaving it on the one that was sharpest.  AGC  and vertical sub adjustments were not on a separate panel, they were buried on the chassis and you needed a long plastic screwdriver with the back off. It had a "sync stability" adjustment that tore the picture if misadjusted. The horizontal hold control was a ten-turn pot with vernier reduction drive built into the control. There was a tone control. Flipping the little adjustment door open on the right side under the channel selector knob showed an edge lit lucite panel with control labels for 4 controls--BRIGHT, HORIZ, VERT,  and TONE  The channel number wheel also was lit by a pilot lamp and had a cogged belt going from the plastic wheel to the tuner shaft. The volume knob was push on push off for power on off.  If you didn't know that you couldn't figure out where the on off switch was.
             All in all, an interesting set with unique features. No visable know=bs from front of eset

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 07:38:59 AM »
Thanks Ed, I just learned a lot about my set.  It's a someday project...maybe!  Mine is missing the woofer for some reason, so I need to find one to start with.  I would also need all service info. It's in storage along with some other toys.   ;)

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
   I remember, Bill, that I had a ton of Photofacts that all had pictures of that style RCA TV  looking almost identical from the front but whose schematics showed giant variations. The 3rd IF tube might be a 6Cb6 pentode in one model and a 6AW8 triode pentode in another model with the triode being a noise inverter or similar. Sound detector might be a 6DT6 locked oscillator detector in one and a EABC80 triode triple diode ratio detector in another. Same with vertical oscillator and output: two tubes in one, one tube in another. So make sure the tube lineup, at least, is correct for the Photofact you get, at least the circuits will be similar even if not exact. The number of different chassis numbers for each individual photofact is also huge. 
           It is definitely a set worth spending time restoring---great for watching the Turner Movie Classic channel on. I forget whether the tube sockets on the prined circuit boards are the "good" ones with semicircular pin grips or the "bad" kind with 2 flat blade grips.  I think the filter caps are spaced far from the hot tubes like 5AS4 rectifier and the vertical chassis is self ventilating. The tuner is on a separate removable sub chassis with a 4 pin plug connecting it to the main chassis. The picture tube high voltage connector is a pain to get off because the chassis must be half removed and held in one hand while the other had removes the (hopefully discharged) red HV lead from the picture  tube back. The cogged rubber belt for the number wheel has to be removed or at least loosened to take the tuner out. Speaker lugs are a la Magnavox, spade lugs.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 07:01:02 AM »
Thanks again Ed!

I get my model number and other numbers and post for you to look at. 

Bill