Author Topic: New From Houston  (Read 528 times)

targeteye

• View Profile
New From Houston
« on: February 11, 2019, 08:21:00 PM »
Greetings from Katy Texas.   My name is Steve and I have been into vintage electronics pretty much all my life.  I have interest in everything from Early battery Radios to old computers.   I have probably talked with some of you on other forums.  Its been a long time since I have had what I would call and I think what you all call a "hi fi console".   I've had a few Mono Maggie's and one particular one I regret parting with, and a few stereo consoles.   I have parted out a couple here and there but nothing rare or memorable.  Well i have been wanting a higher end mono console so when the below Windsor showed up at this weekends HVRA auction i pulled the trigger on it for not much dough.    Just thought I would introduce myself and I started cleaning her up as soon as I got her home yesterday as you can tell.  Hope to share the restoration process and ask a few question along the way with you all.

Steve

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: New From Houston
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:24 PM »
Wow, what a handsome unit, and it's one more preserved!  Welcome, and tell us about your other old-electronics adventures as you have a chance.  My only concern is that this group seems to be getting top-heavy in warm weather folks.  It needs some more from northern climates where adverse weather builds character.  One of my finds was a 1951 Philco console that literally spent the winter outside under a snowdrift.  It wasn't even visible until the snow melted.  Somehow the innards survived.  The cabinet became firewood mostly, except for a few sheets of veneer that peeled usefully.  The Philco has lots of character....

Chris Campbell

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »
         Beautiful.  Please post more pictures especially of the chassis and tuning unit faceplate. I don't remember  ever seeing a version of the Windsor with a pull out turntable drawer. I have a chassis only 1941 or so Windsor I think, (CR195) with 11 (?) tubes, and AM plus two shortwave bands. 2 6V6s.  6AB7 AVE amplifier tube. All metal tubes except rectifier and tuning eye. 6 pushbuttons.  Is that your chassis ?

targeteye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Wow, what a handsome unit, and it's one more preserved!  Welcome, and tell us about your other old-electronics adventures as you have a chance.  My only concern is that this group seems to be getting top-heavy in warm weather folks.  It needs some more from northern climates where adverse weather builds character.  One of my finds was a 1951 Philco console that literally spent the winter outside under a snowdrift.  It wasn't even visible until the snow melted.  Somehow the innards survived.  The cabinet became firewood mostly, except for a few sheets of veneer that peeled usefully.  The Philco has lots of character....

Chris Campbell

Buried in a snow drift.  Thats a new one!

targeteye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »
         Beautiful.  Please post more pictures especially of the chassis and tuning unit faceplate. I don't remember  ever seeing a version of the Windsor with a pull out turntable drawer. I have a chassis only 1941 or so Windsor I think, (CR195) with 11 (?) tubes, and AM plus two shortwave bands. 2 6V6s.  6AB7 AVE amplifier tube. All metal tubes except rectifier and tuning eye. 6 pushbuttons.  Is that your chassis ?

I think you may be confusing this with a different console.   I will be supplying more pictures.

Steve

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:28:12 AM »
welcome Steve!

That may be a 1948. I have a '48 Model 306 which is waiting patiently for a spot in our living room. The wood on these was stunning and Drexel was who made the cabinet. Mine has a Webcor 33-78 rpm changer with a crystal cartridge with a manual reject button o n the radio's control panel.

I wish you an easy restoration on your pretty Windsor (Imperial-right ?). My "little Maggie" Berkeley (AM-SW) was on one chassis, crowded as can be but still easy to recap, going on 4 years now. I use it monthly and I considered it practice for the more-involved Windsor that has separate receiver and amp chassis. It may someday travel up to the family hunting cabin in NE PA. The shortwave on these post-war receivers is exceptional due to the sharp-tune filter selector, and to be in a rural area without much interference would be ideal.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:37:51 AM »
      Yes, I certainly was confusing it which is all the more embarrassing  since I actually have the chassis and have spent hours looking at and cleaning/polishing dull metal.

Mine is a  155 chassis according to the 1941 Magnavox brochure in the downloads section, even the chassis number I had wrong !!  It is standard AM broadcast and 2 short wave bands. The console it came out of was either a Regency or Berkeley  models 50 or 34G. I had thought yours was a pre WWII model but now I will check the 1948 brochure. Its hard to tell without the chassis in the cabinet.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 10:41:13 AM »
    It looks like you are doing a thorough and methodical restoration since I see you already have the chassis out.

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »
    That cabinet was so stunning that I assumed it was a late thirties or earlier design. I didn't know Drexel made some Magnavox cabinets. I think I have seen Packard Bell or maybe Motorola Drexels in various posts here. Can't remember but its in the downloads section brochures.
     If you look at the 1939 Windsor ad in the downloads, it looks like the speaker grill took up the entire center of the cabinet, the section that protrudes slightly from the left and right sides. The pattern of the metal decorations looks just like the Electro-Voice Patrician at least early  models. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 09:09:20 AM »
Welcome Steve!  As usual I'm late with the welcome.  :-[

Your new toy looks really nice, and is something, if one ever show up in my neck of the woods, I have on my want list. 

Good luck, have fun, and please more  pictures as you go along.

Bill

targeteye

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 03:41:14 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and welcoming messages. I'm going move this to the magnavox forums now.  Stay tuned.  I'll try and address some of the comments here in that posting.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 07:31:00 PM »
Welcome Aboard!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:58:59 PM »
Welcome aboard, Steve!
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.