Author Topic: Luck 'O the Irish!  (Read 156 times)

firedome

• View Profile
Luck 'O the Irish!
« on: March 16, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »
Guess it pays to be Irish (mostly) and go check out a console the day before St. Paddy's Day!! (Padraic in Old Irish, Padraig in modern Irish). 

A lady from out of town is cleaning out her Mom's house of many years this weekend, Mom has moved to Assisted Living, the house is for sale, and the furniture for sale "open house" listed on Craig's. On the phone she had no idea what the console was, other than that her parents were the original owners from around 1962 or '63, it was 5' long, and a  lighter colored wood. In the past I've found that 4 out of 5 trips to look at unknown consoles are "wasted", ie: they turn out to be trashed, ugly, or plastic SS 8 track models, but this time the trip was definitely not a waste of time!

Oops sorry, pics and more info later, the wife just yelled: dinner is on the table!
... to be continued, sorry!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

chazglenn3

• View Profile
Re: Luck 'O the Irish!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:01:24 AM »
The suspense is killing me...
Charles
USAF Veteran

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:12:15 AM »
And me!

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
And me!   :) :)

A good batch of corned beef and cabbage might be the antidote...... ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48:25 PM »
Sorry for the delay!  I got way-laid last night after dinner (chicken, not corned beef... CB, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots with Guinness followed by a wee dram of Jameson's, is for tonight!  While I love it, corned beef is an American tradition, not Irish, because being poor they exported almost all their beef and traditionally ate mostly mutton themselves. Not fond of mutton, so even though not traditional, I stick with the corned beef!)

So this console I found was not a factory job I'm pretty sure, but console cabinets were commonly found and sold by furniture stores, stereo shops, and even in Allied catalogs. In this case I think the owner found a cabinet they liked and had speakers a changer and 1 component installed. It's on legs, but I removed them for transport; the 2 cabinet pics were taken in the back of the suv. They must not have listened to AM or FM much as there wasn't any, but lots of old LPs and 45s (no 78s) were on hand. The changer is a Garrard 50 installed on a pullout, the speakers are Jensen "Special Design" 12" woofer and 2 -3" tweeters per side - front facing. The electronics are shown in the 2 last pics. Everything is original and working, but of course it all will need the usual rehab ongoing. The electronic component has already been pulled out for cleaning & checking as you can see (pic).

All in all a v lucky find for this particular Irishman on the day before St Paddy's, and a pretty decent buy for $70... they're still out there!  Slainte Mhaith!

my junk is stuff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
That's pretty neat.  I would imagine there were quite a few customs built by people back then.  Probably very few survive.
Dennis H
"Don't mind me, I'm just here to break stuff"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
How much, exactly, is a "wee dram" of Jameson's?  Is that more or less than a "right smart snort" as measured when sampling homemade white liquor?   ;) ;) :) :)

Nice find on your new stereo.   :) :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
Nice find.  It's a handsome cabinet and you get a good Fisher amp with it.  I've got a Fisher x100B out in the garage, waiting for renovation.  I looked online and found a page that said the X100 used tube rectification and the X100B used solid-state.
Here's the summary:

About the Fisher X-100-B Integrated Amplifier   The X-100-B was introduced in early 1962 and  was sold through 1964.It uses 7868 beam-power  output tubes.  The  8768  is  essentially  identical  to  the  better-know  7591  tubes  used  in  many  fisher  amplifiers, except they utilize a

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 10:57:57 PM »
Looks like the B version used 7868 output tube (equiv. to 7591) so the output power is probably a bit higher too.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 01:30:51 AM »
No beer or whiskey for me, but I did have the corn beef, cabbage, carrots, onions, and potatoes. And, two different kinds of pie for dessert.   :)

Nice looking unit, and I agree there were a lot of custom cabinets with components installed.  I stumbled across such a unit in an antique store here in AZ.  Early American Maple cabinet from the Kent furniture company.  The label under the hood said Kent Stereo.  The changer was Garrard, the speakers were Jensen custom design.  Consisting of 12" woofer, 6X9 midrange, and 3" tweeter.  This unit has a receiver by Harmon Kardon.  It's there Coronet series.  It actually plays, sounds pretty good, but does need work.  Recap, and all that goes with it.  I snapped a photo.

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
Well, wee drams tend to follow one another at times, ending up a bit more than wee. This time the bottle was near empty so about 1 oz served as the toast libation for the occasion! Just as well as I rarely drink hard liquor any more. Can't say the same about Porters, Stouts, Bitters, and cask conditioned Ales, anything UK style,excepting IPAs which I can do without!

Research shows that Fisher made a bunch of different versions of their 100 amp. This particular one is a model X-100-3, circa 1963 I believe and a PP 4 x EL-84 amp, very similar to a 1960-ish Fisher X-101 I had once, same tube complement pretty much except the 100-3 is not tube rectified. Some later X-100-B and C versions were higher power 7868 amps I believe. I've always preferred the EL-84 based amps myself so am glad to have this version. Will be intrigued to hear how it sounds with the Jensen speakers installed. Just ordered a new stylus for the Shure M-3D cartridge on the Garrard.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
So you are saying that a "wee dram", multiplied, is quite similar to a "right smart snort".  The difference is the elixir being sampled.    ;) ;) :) :)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
Good score Roger! I had me a bit of my BIL's home made apple cider last night. It was a pair of snorts, in Greg's parlance:)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 04:40:18 PM »
Yep I guess enough wee drams could constitute a good snort. Or if you're in Sweden or Russia you just down the entire glass in one big glug, I'm not up to that stuff anymore!

I posted the rather convoluted lineage of the Fisher X-100 amp and all of it's permutations over in the "Fisher" category for those interested. 

Got lucky today and found an original Owners Manual on you-know-where. Free Service Manuals are to be had for download on several websites as well, I like to collect all the available lit. on any item that's added to the inventory.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:31 PM »
STOP  THIEF!!!    ;D    Great buy Roger!   
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!