Author Topic: Another orphan followed me home  (Read 122 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Another orphan followed me home
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:57 PM »
Probably because the eye tubes are only in 6 volt, and their current rating probably didn't match the series-string tube currents.  Same for the IF, I bet.  But it does seem a strange way to cobble together a device.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 10:58:10 AM »
Are we referring to the RCA 3 channel, or the Motorola 3 channel?   ::) ::) ;) ;) :)

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 11:11:05 PM »
The RCA.   ;)

The IF tube is a 6BA6, so wouldn't that run on a heater string?  The 6E5 eye tube I can understand.  I thought it was a rather interesting setup.  I had never seen a 35W4 on a power transformer before.  I reckon the 1:1 tap on the power transformer would serve as an ad hoc isolation transformer wouldn't it?  Probably has more to do with hum than isolation.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
I'm where the little "Home-Mark" is stashed, and after some more sump-pump follies and cutting  big yard of grass I decided to pull the back and measure the speakers from behind.  They qualify as 6" and 4".  The larger ones have these numbers:  9656 and 270411.  I assume the latter is the EIA code.  If anybody has their codes at hand, translate for me, please.  The smaller one is coded "Japan."  The V-M changer has a model no B1265--a simple 1200-series device. 

Maybe somebody will recognize the cartridge. 

Whoever made it, the model no. is intact on the torn label--336X.  And while it's not high-end and the height of its Fi is not very, it does have nice real veneers and ITT and Madison-Fielding label tubes (Mullards on the MPX device).  The Zenith hang-tag for a modular unit that came with it touts imitation wood-grain finish.  For me, the real thing is way better.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 10:50:30 PM »
The "270411" is the speaker code.  "270" is for Quam-Nichols and the "411" is the 41st week of 1961.  That cartridge is quite similar to the one in one of the little GE stereos I have.  I'm guessing a Tetrad model.  ITT tubes were lower-end replacement brand.  I'll bet that little stereo sounds better than you think with a good set of speakers and some TLC.  It is definitely not a cheap piece of junk.  Quam was a good brand of speaker.  Mullard tubes are good.  VM changers are workhorses.  Simple might be a good description.  Nothing wrong with simple.   :) :)

I'd clean the cabinet up a bit, put some burlap speaker cloth in it.  That thing is cute as a bug.  I'd put that between a couple of big Magnavoxes and it would hold its head high.   :) :)

If you ever decide to kick that little stereo to the curb, please remember that I have a DANDY curb in front of my house!   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.