Author Topic: Another orphan followed me home  (Read 898 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Another orphan followed me home
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
  The tuners in Magnavox stereos are HORRIBLE to get back in.  Surprising how heavy they get when you try to hold them up and get the screws started.  By the way, Chris, that's why %$*&@!! was invented.   ;) ;) :) :)

The little Home-Mark added to the frustration by having a top, a lifting lid, in the way.  When you hold the chassis in approximate position with one hand, trying not to let it move, and then reach around the lid to manipulate the screwdriver,  either the chassis would move, or the little clip-on nut would shift, or you'd miss the slotted screw head with the screwdriver.  Then while trying this dance I dropped the chassis and broke off the twinlead.  The only good news was that the circuit board for the FM front end stuck out of its box at the point where the twinlead was soldered on.  Better still, there was a little ferrule in the hole so it was harder to lift the circuit board trace off by overheating--which of course I was doing since I didn't have my desoldering tool there.  I had visions of heading down the common path:  break one thing.  While fixing that, break another.  While fixing that, make a complete mess of something important.  Rinse and repeat.  But no, this time when the fix was done, the thing worked.   Must be the reward for clean living.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2019, 09:22:30 PM »
Quam made good speakers back in the day.  My thinking was the Quams might make it sound more like it did when it left the factory.  But that is just me.  I think it would be cool to have the original type speakers in that cute little stereo.  Probably the only one like it on the face of the planet.  If they made it to sound cheap, so be it.  It would not have to be ultra-high-fidelity for it to bring a grin to my wrinkled kisser in any regard.  But you'll do what suits YOU best and that's just fine with me, because that's what I'd do.  You're saving it, and that's what matters.  Good luck with whatever you decide.   ;) ;) :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2019, 09:56:13 PM »
I haven't been following your thread about this little stereo on ARF.  I don't know what, if anything, they have told you over there.  Here is what I've found, maybe it will help.

Sams lists the Madison Fielding model "360 series" as being in Sams 533, Folder 6, dated 1961.  That would put the date pretty close, as we determined that your stereo has FM multiplex.  My suggestion would be to contact Steve Johnson, "theschematicman.com" at 315-282-7931 and ask what is in Sams 533, Folder 6 and see if it is your stereo.  I see nothing whatsoever listed for Home Mark. 

I see someone has made the determination on ARF that the Sams I referenced is for an amp of some kind.  I don't see that information in my index.  I'd still call Steve and ask.  I also see you have found another one!  That one is really nice, but it doesn't "power up".  I wonder if its power switch needs a spritz of WD-40 and some well-placed vernacular.  I probably should have referred to ARF before I posted here.   ::) :-[

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
Parts Express had two 6-1/2" woofers for $5.99 each.  That's better than the two Quams for $16, and ought to sound a bit better too.  The surrounds are rubber, not foam.  OK, the originals were 6", but I figure these will work by moving mounting bolts a bit.  I have a couple tweeters that I bought for the Heath console, and then bought again for the Heath console (my inventory system isn't good).

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
Anything beats speakers not having a cone.  Your inventory system sounds very similar to mine.   ;) :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 04:08:41 PM »
The speakers for the little console arrived today, the $5.99 specials.  They look good--large magnet, rubber surround, plastic cones.  As mentioned, I had a surplus of little tweets so I just went out to the shop and cut some thin plywood adapter rings to hold the slightly-smaller speakers in the slightly-larger holes, and then sprayed the parts visible outside black.  I'm not quite sure about what cap to use as a high-pass filter (no fancier crossover in this device).  I may use the existing ones as a start and then do some research if the sound isn't good.  This weekend is looking wet so maybe I'll get them installed.  I'll send photos of the speakers later.

I did post an update over on ARF, mostly in hopes of somebody there finding a schematic.  I got  a very stern lecture about the crucial matching of speakers to amp & cabinet, and not doing any departure from the OEM setup or the original synergy would be lost.  Gimme a break... nobody did listening tests when they designed this device.  The lecture included some finger-wagging about replacing all the caps or certain disaster would ensue.  Chris rolled his eyes again.  Any AA5 radio using a 50C5 output will have a transformer of the same size and function as the ones in this device.  The only possible danger would be loss of the power transformer, but again, this is not some massive, irreplaceable unit. 

Nobody offered a schematic over there.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »
Self righteousness rums rampant on the other forum.  It's their way or it's the wrong way.   ::) :-[ ;)

You might start with a 16uf @ 50 volt non-polarized cap as a crossover cap just in the way of a suggestion.  That seems to be a common value in Magnavox. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
This a.m. I did the speaker transplant.  I'll send photos later.  But wow, the 6-1/2" replacements fit EXACTLY on the existing studs for the woofer (because the old Quams were the pincushion frame) and my plywood adapter rings for the tweeters worked out too.  Then I rewired them with push-on connectors, crimped onto the wires.  Because they were all I had, I kept the original .5 mfd paper caps as high-pass.  Then came the moment of truth, and damn, it sounds pretty good!  There's actually bass, and a good balance.

The only problem is lack of gain.  Nobody would get evicted for playing this unit, at least as it is nowI'm wondering if maybe it's filter caps/low B+?  Drifted resistors?  Note that the sound is great, no notable distortion, just not enough oomph.  Good highs, good bass.  But the basic news is that it's working and does sound good.  I'm happy with my speaker choices--I suspect I get more bass and more highs with the more modern components.

I snapped photos of the new speakers, in and out, and did a short video that I'll post on YouTube next week.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 10:07:02 AM »
The woofers I used:
https://www.parts-express.com/6-1-2-poly-cone-midbass-woofer-4-ohm--299-609

The tweeters:
https://www.parts-express.com/t-25-2-1-2-paper-cone-tweeter-8-ohm--279-452

They do sound surprisingly good.  I went out last night to see how AM radio performed late at night.  Answer:  no so good.  Pretty weak performance.  And there is some hum on FM.  It probably would be happier with a capacitor replacement.  A schematic and parts list would help a lot, especially because pulling the chassis just to check compnent values (or for any reason) is a huge PITA.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »
It's good to hear it sounds pretty good.  If it has 50C5 output tubes, that's about a watt and a half, give or take, so it might not be all that loud.  It works and you saved it, so I'd say you did alright!   :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 09:05:28 PM »
OK, console fans, please try to contain your excitement.  The Home-Mark console's debut on video is here:
https://youtu.be/d7vQtXntV9A

It's 1 minute, 40 seconds of sights and sounds.  In the background at the very beginning you can see the baskets of the old speakers on the floor.  Their cones were gone when I found the unit.  So was the grille cloth, as you will see.

I put the headphones on to check the video' audio quality. Pretty good, actually.  The little console surprises me with its sound.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 06:48:53 AM »
Congrats Chris!  It sound pretty good.  Have you decided on a grille cloth yet?

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 06:58:24 PM »
I'm still kinda thinking around the grille cloth project. I'm inclined to find some thin Masonite or door skin plywood that I could cut to make an insert where the old grille cloth was.  Cut holes for the speakers, cover the filler piece with cloth, secure it to the stereo with velcro or small nails.  It may depend on what kind of cane-like cloth I find, to be original, or what other attractive cloth appears.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »
It sounds good, Chris!   :)

I found some reasonably-priced cloth I like at Parts Express.  Good luck.   :)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Today at 12:43:39 PM »
I read on ARF where you are still looking for some type of identification or a schematic for this little stereo.  Do you see the numbers "A-15", "FM-15" or "PR-45" on the chassis or cabinet anywhere? 

Never mind.  Those would be from 1958, too old.  I'm grasping at straws.  Sorry.   ::) :-[

I have not found a scratch about "Home Mark" anywhere.  There is a store in South Africa by that name and a guy on ebay who used it as his handle.  Nary a scratch on the electronics.  That has to be a store brand, but what store?