Author Topic: The IP3702 coolness has arrived.  (Read 349 times)

Astrogoth

• View Profile
The IP3702 coolness has arrived.
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:23:18 PM »

My elderly neighbor's put out a nearly perfect console yesterday. French Provincial baby! Took a dolly to get it home but that worked and now this monster of hardwood sits in my bedroom. It seems to like it here. It just "fits" if you know what I mean. It came with all the original paperwork. Model IP3702, Serial 956880, $349 in 1968 Dollars. Bought new from Magnavox City.

After giving it some thought I've decided to leave it stock and not remove the record deck or add a computer. It's just too cool as-is. But, I did plug in a small, cheap bluetooth dongle to the input jacks on the back. Now I can listen to all my music and keep Baby stock.

Unfortunately Baby isn't perfect....

1. The right channel treble is lower than the left channel treble.
2. The tuning dial light bulbs are out. The STEREO bulb is dim. The tuning meter bulb is out.
 3. The cabinet finish looks to have been removed down to bare wood in one 4 inch spot.
Everything else works and looks like the day it was made.

I need to recap the electronics. Not a big problem. I need to learn about refinishing hardwoods. I need a source for the NOS light bulbs.

So, I ask the group mind: Is there a parts list for the capacitors and bulbs? Is there a service manual for this console? Anyone have wood finishing advice?

Thank you friends!

Matthew D.
West Los Angeles CA.

Astro Sonic, Model 30, Early 1968, #1P3702, Chassis R21404 French Provincial, Cherry.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: The IP3702 coolness has arrived.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »
A 1968 model I think, but I had similar 1969 and it played just as yours does. The record player is one of the easiest to work on, has all 4 speeds, uses a p-mount EV-275 cartridge. Get info from the little tag on the tuner and we will find you a circuit schematic.

1. You will need to pull that receiver chassis out and spray all the switches (selector) and potentiometers (controls) with DeOxit D5. This is #1. Mine had stepped bass and treble controls which were so dirty, each channel would randomly cut out completely. 

2. If that does not solve your treble issue, try switching the speaker leads coming out of the chassis. one is brown and the other is green, just swap them and see if its the speaker/crossover or its the chassis. If its in the chassis, go back and do #1.

3. You may need to replace the electrolytic capacitors and the black ones made by Nichicon are prime suspects. The blue ones are not much better but odds are that you will need to replace them too, possibly all of them, between 1 and 500 microfarad. The power supply caps (silver cylinder above chassis) almost never go bad.

4. The lamps are available, #1847 6v from Allied or other parts sellers. The stereo light is OK if its dim, even on a clear station, it means its working. Do not replace it, they are often special type (#1819) for use in the mpx circuit.

5. There are better folks here than me to ask about finishing. If you look at the bottom of first photo, mine had a  candle burn-down on the one lid. I stripped both lids with Soy-gel and painted them, no way to match the finish Mag used anyway, just do the whole panel.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »
Send photo of the finish damage.  There may be a quick way to repair it.

Chris Campbell

Astrogoth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 05:00:50 PM »
The cherry stain and varnish is gone. The one good thing is there's no scratches.
Astro Sonic, Model 30, Early 1968, #1P3702, Chassis R21404 French Provincial, Cherry.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
One way to see what the wood will look like with a film finish over it is to wipe it with mineral spirits.  While it's wet. it will look like what varnish or lacquer over it would look like.  It it's real cherry, you can darken it with a solution of washing soda and water.  That also adds color to mahogany.  Or you could experiment with stains from the hardware store.  Once you have the color right, an easy finish is shellac.  It used to come in white and orange varieties.  The orange was unbleached and imparted some color itself.  Last time I bought some, they had changed the long-time names to something from the marketing dept.--can't recall what orange was renamed.  Shellac dries very quickly.  You can build coats quickly.  If it's too glossy, some 0000 (4-0) steel wool will dull it down a bit and remove any bits of debris.  Clean brushes or remove the finish with shellac thinner, which is alcohol.

Chris Campbell