Author Topic: A New Tool For The Bench  (Read 197 times)

19and41

• View Profile
A New Tool For The Bench
« on: June 16, 2019, 07:53:20 PM »
I have been periodically looking out for something to replace the iron/spring loaded pump system I have been using.  At work I use a Pace desoldering station and working at home compared to work is like living on boiled peanuts as opposed to 3 large meals a day.  I found a used unit on Ebay ant it looked interesting enough to me that I checked Amazon to see how much they were new.  Coupled with the reviews they were getting, it was a pleasant surprise.  I have a station coming tomorrow.  I hope it does allright, i would like to use it on my astro-sonic.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ6PR6K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: A New Tool For The Bench
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
My desoldering device is a radio shack iron/squeeze bulb combo, so I must be eating boiled corn meal.

Your fancy new device seems to have a temp control system--which prompts the question, what's the right temp for soldering/desoldering?  I've got an old Heath variable-temp iron that I inherited from my great-uncle but I've never used it because I'm not sure where to set the temp control.

And as to peanuts, the U-M alumni newsletter health and fitness guy just had a piece on the great virtues of the legume:
https://michigantoday.umich.edu/2019/06/13/let-them-eat-legumes/

But I'm not aiming to boil up  a batch for dinner.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:56:21 AM »
It depends on the iron wattage and tip size,  but 6 to 800 degrees will most often suffice.  If you have trace lifts at the temperature, it's too high.  conversely, you can damage the board by using too low a temperature for too long.  You want a temperature that will liquefy the solder and leave a gusseted, conformal  and non spiky joint.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 07:24:00 AM »
About a year ago I purchased a solder sucker.  I studied them trying to decide which one was a good one, one that would work, and last. I spent the extra money and purchased what I thought was a good one.  Not!  It worked about 4 times and stopped sucking solder.  The brand name was "Engineer." 

What you purchased Rex, looks impressive. 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:09:46 PM »
My Radio Shack economy option will sometimes clog with solder.  Maybe yours did the same. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 06:37:26 AM »
It does clog fairly easily, but that does not seem to be the problem this time.  Thanks Chris.

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »
Bill, Mine did the same thing. Those spring-loaded jobs are a PITA. You need to disassemble and clean them all the time.  >:(

Because I do more with hand-wired, pre-circuit board electronics, I use braided copper AKA "solder wick" but this looks interesting, very interesting.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
It came yesterday.  I have only got into it enough to be sure it wasn't damaged.  It looks pretty good so far.  It looks like it uses a glass chamber with a metal baffle like a pace iron.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:44:57 PM »
I guess is should get some "solder wick" and give it a try.  Thanks Dave!

Bill

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 01:04:11 PM »
I had planned to use it over the weekend of the 4th, but my central air failed on the 2nd and is still out awaiting parts.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 02:14:07 PM »
I had when that happens!

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
I'm the one who has never lived in an air-conditioned house.  Bravo for Michigan!  But I was out trying to figure out the Chevy's unhappy carburetor this a.m.... hot engine + 80 degrees in the sun = sweat dripping everywhere.

Chris Campbell

19and41

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »
The last summer I was in Michigan it got to 110 degrees out and I had to calibrate and pm scales at the sealed power piston ring plant.  it was 141 degrees on the floor where I worked.  I had central at my home in Kalamazoo and valued it greatly there as well.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 07:16:29 AM »
I guess I need to do a better job of proof reading..."I had when that happens".   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :(

I don't mind the heat, even the humidity during the day.  I just want it cool when I sleep.  I hate (I got it right this time) sticking to myself when I'm trying to sleep.  A/C is nice for that.  ;) :)

Bill