Author Topic: New member from SE WI  (Read 50 times)

Super88

• View Profile
New member from SE WI
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
I recently purchased a Motorola SK77WA. Everything works with the exception of the light that indicates stereo reception. The turntable needs to be cleaned as it's slow getting started, but once up to speed works fine. I'm old enough to remember going to the drug store with my dad to use the tube tester, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the vintage consoles and look forward to learning.

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
Re: New member from SE WI
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Welcome from another recent console convert. Nice looking unit. I too remember traveling to the corner drug store to check tubes on the tester. Good place to learn and appreciate consoles. Thanks for sharing the photo of your beautiful unit. I hope the cosmetics on mine turn out that well. Even though they are blondes I love walnut.

Mark

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
That is a popular cabinet with Motorola, as I have the same cabinet with different guts.  Mine is model SK52W.  There are two other SK52W's close to me as well, all with the same cabinet.  Yours looks like brand new.  :) :)  Mine looks like it was dragged down the road behind a truck.  :( :(  It's on the someday list.  ;) :)  If you follow the rules for restoration of your electronics you will have a great sounding console stereo when done.  Something you can really be proud of.  Good luck, and please keep us posted (with photos please).   :) :) 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
Welcome!  And please add questions, comments, advice, descriptions of your experiences with these devices.  More participation is better for everybody.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »
I like that stereo!  I have a Motorola that was dragged down the road by the same truck as Bill's was.  I wish mine was as nice as yours.  It is on my "someday" list as well.  It's main problem is a cartridge with wonky compliance.

A wise man once opined "be sure to add a fuse to the primary of the power transformer".   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
So, I'm curious about your name "Super 88"?   Since so many of us have other interests beside vintage electronics, does "Super 88" refer to a certain car???  ;) ;) :) :)

Bill