Author Topic: New member from SE WI  (Read 3361 times)

Super88

• View Profile
New member from SE WI
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:22:02 PM »
I recently purchased a Motorola SK77WA. Everything works with the exception of the light that indicates stereo reception. The turntable needs to be cleaned as it's slow getting started, but once up to speed works fine. I'm old enough to remember going to the drug store with my dad to use the tube tester, but I'm not that knowledgeable about the vintage consoles and look forward to learning.

macgolf

• 1960 Philco H-1916
    • View Profile
Re: New member from SE WI
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
Welcome from another recent console convert. Nice looking unit. I too remember traveling to the corner drug store to check tubes on the tester. Good place to learn and appreciate consoles. Thanks for sharing the photo of your beautiful unit. I hope the cosmetics on mine turn out that well. Even though they are blondes I love walnut.

Mark
Mark

1960 Philco H-1916
1962 Montgomery Wards Airline WG-2820A
1963 Pilot 6B500

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
That is a popular cabinet with Motorola, as I have the same cabinet with different guts.  Mine is model SK52W.  There are two other SK52W's close to me as well, all with the same cabinet.  Yours looks like brand new.  :) :)  Mine looks like it was dragged down the road behind a truck.  :( :(  It's on the someday list.  ;) :)  If you follow the rules for restoration of your electronics you will have a great sounding console stereo when done.  Something you can really be proud of.  Good luck, and please keep us posted (with photos please).   :) :) 

Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 03:04:01 PM »
Welcome!  And please add questions, comments, advice, descriptions of your experiences with these devices.  More participation is better for everybody.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 10:57:33 PM »
I like that stereo!  I have a Motorola that was dragged down the road by the same truck as Bill's was.  I wish mine was as nice as yours.  It is on my "someday" list as well.  It's main problem is a cartridge with wonky compliance.

A wise man once opined "be sure to add a fuse to the primary of the power transformer".   :) :)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
So, I'm curious about your name "Super 88"?   Since so many of us have other interests beside vintage electronics, does "Super 88" refer to a certain car???  ;) ;) :) :)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 08:47:27 AM »
Welcome to the site from another Motorola fan ;), and fan of just about e ::) verything else.

While its no surprise your Motorola works well without replacing capacitors, the stereo light issue might mean a stereo multiplex adapter was not installed. If you take the back cover off, look for a little chassis on the bottom, next to that 3-channel amp - 51 EIA watts.

Motorola had a clever plug system that allowed the "FM stereo" position to operate the same as "FM-AFC", but in mono - unless RCA plugs were inserted in the preamp chassis (up/under the control panel), which connect this little chassis with the additional stereo decoder circuit. Its a simple unit but without it, the stereo light would have nowhere to plug in.

The 1962 (SK77WA in Sams 600 so yours built in late 1961?) were built AS a stereo broadcast standard was finalized. My 1963 (stamped 8M62) SK-112 model number has "FMA" as a suffix and the pictured multiplex adapter was factory-installed. It should not be hard to find one of these on ebay, I see Motorola amps and preamps from parted out consoles :-[ for sale, then tuners and record players are posted later.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »
From what you are saying Dave, I would guess that my SK52 needs the multiplex adaptor also?  I know I do not have one.  Or, maybe the SK52 does not have a provision for multiplex?

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »
From what you are saying Dave, I would guess that my SK52 needs the multiplex adaptor also?  I know I do not have one.  Or, maybe the SK52 does not have a provision for multiplex?

Bill

Looked in downloads and your SK 52 is a tuner combined preamp on one chassis, like some Motorola tuners before it. It does have circuitry, switching and connectors for an mpx chassis, but no stereo light or convenient power whip like the 1962 models did.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Super88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
Good guess Bill

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »
There seems to be a high rate of old-car ownership among the console fiends here.  And maybe a prevalence of GM fans.  My own fleet includes a '38 Buick, '61 Chevy convertible, and '65 Olds Starfire coupe (and the '86 Mustang GT).  Only the Mustang and Chevy are actually licensed & running.  We're all fans of cool od stuff.

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 11:33:55 PM »
Is that a '54 or '55 Super 88?  Dad had an Oliver Super 88 tractor that he was proud of.  It was a year or two newer than your Olds.  Nice car, by the way.  As you might guess from my username, I have a '63 Electra 225. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 06:07:39 AM »
That is a beautiful car!  Did you do the restoration?  If so, you should be proud. :)  If not, you still should be proud two own a piece of American history. Your new Motorola is also a piece of American history.  Like the car, it deserves all the love and care you can give it.  :) ;D

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 06:14:04 AM »
Thanks Dave!  Things today in electronics are always changing, so it only makes sense that back in the day technology was   changing too.  :o ::) :)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 10:11:29 AM »
Thanks Dave!  Things today in electronics are always changing, so it only makes sense that back in the day technology was   changing too.  :o ::) :)

Bill

I always wanted to link a console model to either my unrestored but complete-garaged but rusty '67 GP convertible or the road-legal '69 GP hard top, the hard part is what is the brand equivalent to Pontiac. I like to think Motorola, but then there's others with some wild models in nice bodies, including Mopar, Ford, Studebaker, Packard, Nash, etc. 

While I could easily connote Magnavox as practical yet luxurious like a Buick (U R welcome Greg 8)), Pontiac and Oldsmobile as sporty yet less practical than Chevrolet.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave