Author Topic: RCA Victor 4VF349  (Read 341 times)

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
RCA Victor 4VF349
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »
An earlier post by Phototone showed what I believe is the very last tubed RCA model, 4VF480. I have an appointment to look at one with only this from the seller.

I had asked for a picture of the gold label showing the tube locations (nifty :P) that I thought RCA used until going solid state about a model year (or two) after Magnavox introduced Astrosonic.

Then I realized the last year for the "gold" labels was 1963. The one on my '63 RCA is below.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
Re: RCA Victor 4VF349
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »
That looks promising Dave.  Good luck!

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
Thanks, but Im always the only local buyer interested. And i cant resist a bargain, especially one of my best makes. ::)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 06:20:28 AM »
You must have lots of toys show up in your area.  I'm jealous!  I'm always looking on Craig's list, I do not do Facebook, and every once in a while something nice shows up.  Maybe that's a good thing, that way I do not have a barn full.  ;) :)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:14:33 AM »
Maybe that's a good thing, that way I do not have a barn full.  ;) :)

Bill

The rescuer's barn can always accept another :-[. It never got above 85 and 75% RH this summer, better than where many of them came from ;)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 06:53:53 PM »
Do I want to know what's in the rescuer's barn?  ::)

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 03:27:25 PM »
My barn has JUST ;) - a bit more than I will ever get to repair.

This RCA came with a great hang tag and operator manual ;D. It is a single ended 6BQ5 amp, yet has a pair of 12" woofs and six 3" tweets. The stereo FM-AM radio/preamp is the very last RCA that had a 6FG6 tuning eye.   

In the living room of the house there was a Loewe Opta Lauenstein console (1965 SS-amp, tube receiver, Dual 1011 player but missing the tape deck). It has all the documents including the bill of sale from the Army PX in Germany, $500 cash is what the Colonel paid. This model is a darker wood but not the dreaded Mediterranean or some other dungeon style.

Just for kicks, ill post it in the sightings section with screen shots of the "radio museum" listing. I found nothing else online for this console.

I will wait and see if they can sell that one but as always, I'm the only hawk working this pasture. That means I will get a call when there is no response to the second ad.   
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
Good Luck Dave!

Bill

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
Once I opened this up, I knew it was sold mainly for its furniture construction and its not a wall shaker. No particle board, no poplar with veneer, but much better constructed than my two '61 RCA's. I also have a 1VF507 with mosaic tile top/lid that is just as heavy. The lid on this one alone weighs about 20+ pounds, solid cherry.

The RS-203 stereo but single-ended 6BQ5 was a very modest amp yet the pre-amp tuner is the same as a TOTL 4VF705 - maybe the hang tag 4V34_ model series called it a "Mark IX" because its furniture first (yes it is heavy despite a compact size) and a Victrola second.

After I removed record changer, amp and tuner it was a bit more easy to pick up. It needed a good steel-wool and turpentine session to get all the old wax and crud off. The top looks great, even before

It was easy to restore despite all the bad parts and the first power-up, it played great thru my EPI speakers though its only an 11 watt EIA-rated amp. The tuner is fantastic but not quite as selective as the Zenith, the uber-awesome tuning eye makes up for that 8)

Some electronic restoration notes below.

Most tubes tested defective (gas-shorts) except those listed below.
Many resistors were found out of tolerance.
Most of the electrolytic caps were not worth re-forming, due to high internal resistances and/or low breakdown voltages.
All transformers, switches, pots, etc were in fine condition.
The tubes that were defective along with some resistors suggest long hours on the AM band, while most FM tubes were OK.

The best thing about this console: I recapped in less than a week and it worked the first time I tried it, with voltages slightly below schematic values receiving both AM and FM well, according to the tuning eye indicator.

The sound via the EPI speakers was sweet but not powerful. the volume needed to be at least halfway for you to appreciate the fine sound.

A new pair of Sovtek EL84M tubes made a slight difference, suggesting this amp is not hard-driving 6BQ5s like a Zenith or Fisher.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave