Author Topic: Weird condition with my Imperial stereo  (Read 706 times)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Weird condition with my Imperial stereo
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
Just like with an auto an intermittent failure is a pain in the butt to troubleshoot but a hard failure should be fairly easy to track down.  Good luck!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
I appreciate the good thoughts, Ken.  This thing has been wonky for quite awhile, extremely intermittently.  It has gotten steadily worse.  Now it's really broke.  With Christmas decorations going up, it might be awhile before I can troubleshoot the Imperial.  Voltage measurements will be my first step.  This thing has an MPX, so that gives me more interconnecting cable so I can run the chassis out of the cabinet.  If I have plate and screen voltages on the output tubes in the treble amps, I'm going to get a whole new set of output tubes.  I put JJ's in it when I restored it.  The rectifiers are NOS Sylvanias I had on hand.  The bass amps and Channel 2 appear to work normally.  The "no bass" condition is still there.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
I found a dead 6V6, dead for no apparent reason.  I have plate and screen voltages.  I put a spare tube I had on hand in its place and I have a treble amp again.  So, this thing gets a new set of output tubes, all six of them.  I guess it must be hard to kill a Magnavox.   ;) ;) :) :)

I'll enjoy the Symphony in its place in the interim.  I have been working more at the store, so this project will have to wait until after the holidays. 
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2019, 08:59:57 AM »
I'm glad to hear you found the problem, and it appears to be an easy fix. 

Bill