Author Topic: Spraying for scorpions, the good news and the bad news......  (Read 337 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Spraying for scorpions, the good news and the bad news......
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:51:38 AM »
We live in an area that has lots of new development going on.  They are building houses liberally all around us.  This gets the scorpions all stirred up and they start roaming around.  The sneaky little buggers can get in anywhere.  Cats like to play with the wiggly little critters.  And scorpion stings are not good for cats.  So, we have our place exterminated six times a year.  Most times, the bugman just sprays with his portable sprayer, around the fence, around the concrete, at the base of the house, in bushes, places like that.  Once a year, they use a contraption that looks like a pressure washer that sprays bug dope.  The dope gets under the edge of our concrete tile roof so the scorpions can't hide there.  I had to take steel wool and Rain-X to get the bug dope off our windows.  In a moment you're going to hear the REST of the story........

Everybody in AZ fills their garage full of stuff they don't need, then leaves their car sitting out in the driveway.  We have a 20' long garage, housing a Mini Cooper S and my old Buick when we leave for the summer.  The Buick is exactly 1 1/2 inches shorter than the garage.  I double-cover the Buick when we are here, since you-know-who the cat likes to get on the Buick.  She'll get on the car when it's uncovered, but stays off the covers.  Cats!  I don't cover the car in the summer, since it is easier to dust the car than it is to launder the covers to get the dust out.

Sometime between the middle of April and the first of October, bug spray got shot thru the vents in the garage and landed on both black cars.  The Mini has a plastic bra on the front, so it seems okay.  The Buick got the worst of it.  The rear 2/3 of the car had white spots on it when I got here.  I washed the car immediately and the white substance came off.  It left white rings where the liquid puddled up on the new wax.  Those rings won't come off.  So now I own a polka dot Buick.  I have the insurance adjuster on his way.  Our detailer says there's nothing he can do, he believes the bug spray has etched the paint. 

The man who painted this car is still in business.  His shop was next door to mine.  It's gonna cost $20,000 to take this car back apart to repaint it.  It cost $16,000 when I did it the first time.  With contamination in the paint, it will have to be taken to bare metal in most places.  There is still bug dope on the rear bumper, left there to take a sample.  It may have etched the chrome.  I'm upset about this.  I can't sleep.  I realize nobody got up one morning deciding to ruin the paint on my Buick on purpose.  That's why it's called an accident.  That old Buick and I have been together for a long time.  It's part of the family.  I remember when Sal got his Cutlass creamed by a little old lady.  But, hey, nobody got hurt and cars can be fixed.  A new paint job won't be as pretty as the old one.  That paint job got prettier the older it got.  There was not a swirl in it anywhere, and it never saw a "wheel" once it left the paint shop.  The best compliment I ever got on that car was at The World Of Wheels one year.  A snooty street-rodder came over, not knowing I owned the car, and said "That's the prettiest black paint on this lot.  Too bad somebody wasted it on a damned old Buick!"...... ;)
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

walyfd

• View Profile
Re: Spraying for scorpions, the good news and the bad news......
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
WOW does that all stink...

First off, congratulations for even having a black car in scorpion country...  but be beastly in the summer...

What was the respray done in?  If it's base/clear it should be repairable to some extent.

The 62 Fleetwood I got last year is still mostly original lacquer and, while delicate, still a dream to work with.

Still, there is nothing like a black car...

All the best and I hope it works out.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:37:24 PM »
That's terrible news about Black Beauty!  I know there were not many Buicks like yours built, and I'm sure of the ones left, non are as nice as yours. I have seen your Buick Electra 225 and it's definitely a keeper.   I hope there will be a solution for its repair that will be totally in your favor.   :) :)  Good luck, and keep us posted.

Bill

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:20:45 PM »
The Buick was sprayed in DuPont Centari "99-A" extremely black acrylic enamel with hardener paint.  The stuff is still available and, if the Buick gets repainted, we'll use the same paint.  Technically one can receive a five-point gig in National Buick judging if the judge believes you used base/clear urethane paint.  Centari is the only paint that you can guarantee will pass for acrylic lacquer.  Centari used to be available in most any color.  Now only available in black and white. 

Thank you all  for your good wishes.  I'll keep you posted.

As for having a black car in AZ.  Mine sits in the garage all summer.  But, since the heater control valve started leaking and new ones are unobtanium, the heater is on all the time.  That works okay in the winter.........

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
Mr. Cadillac, what was the first year for Twilight Sentinel on Cadillacs?  Buick got it in 1963.  A friend says it was not until '64.  I say Cadillac got it in 1962.  Cadillac got power door locks before Buick did, so why not Twilight Sentinel?  Guidematic came out in the early 1950's.  Buick got it in 1953.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 09:32:34 PM »
Really bad news about the car.  When you have one that's perfect, it's crushing to have it damaged n any way.  Are the spots so bad that they can't be rubbed out? 

I am just back from several days at a national meeting in Detroit.  It was at the Marriott hotel in the Renaissance Center, built by Ford but now owned by GM.  In the elevator hallway on my floor there was a big advertising photo of a '65 Cadillac Fleetwood, and in my bathroom, a shot of '59 Chevy taillights. 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 10:36:17 PM »
The best advice I have received is to not to try to rub or "wheel" out these areas.  The fear is lifting the paint.  The insurance adjuster may have resources available that are not available to me. 

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 07:02:04 AM »
I had the '57 CDV done in centari in 1995.  Took a good year for it to fully cure.  After wet sanding and polishing, it really does have an original lacquer look...

Cadillac go twilight sentinel in 1964.  Auto nice eye and ACCESSORIES came in '53, along with 12V electrical system.  Air was actually available in '41 on Cadillac and Packard...  you had to remove the compressor belt or it would always be on...

Electric power locks were in the '57 Eldorado Brougham.  Became optional on all 1958 cads as well as air suspension.  Locks went to vacuum in '61.

And Cadillac was the last GM car to get electric wipers in '59. 

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 05:57:54 PM »

Thanks for the information.  Now I owe my friend lunch at Ted's Hot Dog stand.

Buick got electric wipers in 1959.  The '57-'58 Buicks had the vacuum pump for the wipers as part of the oil pump.  Cadillac had the smallest engine in the GM family in 1963.  That ended in 1964 with the fabulous 429.  I got my door dusted pretty good by a '64 SDV. 

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »
  But, since the heater control valve started leaking and new ones are unobtanium, the heater is on all the time.  That works okay in the winter.........

Why not just plumb a standard nipple and valve into the system so you can just shut off the hot water to the heater?  When I was a kid, an uncle in AL used to save me old radio parts and misc. junk.  I'd get these great boxes of stuff when we visited, very fascinating for a kiddo.  One item was a bronze valve with a threaded end and a hose barb end.  I later figured out that it was intended to be threaded into the block of an engine just for that purpose.  My Chevy's heater water valve is very stiff and I've been thinking about either searching for that valve--I never throw anything away--or making up  a similar device from standard parts.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »
I had the '57 CDV done in centari in 1995.  Took a good year for it to fully cure.  After wet sanding and polishing, it really does have an original lacquer look...

My '61 Chevy had the nicest paint job on any car I've owned.  It's acrylic lacquer.  It never had any range peel or other application defects.  The hood, trunk lid, and doors are the only original paint now. It shines up nicely.  The base/clearcoat finish on my 2005 Ranger is pretty durable (it lives outdoors) but when clearcoat starts to separate it's a disaster. My '38 Buick has original paint, nitrocellulose lacquer, isn't it? It's pocked with rust spots but it still does shine up nicely on the places where I've tried it. 

Chris Campbell

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »
Nitrocellulose lacquer was last used in '58 I think...  I'd have to research a bit more to attest to that.  Acrylic "magic mirror" lacquer came out in '59.  Nitrocellulose has a different almost pixelated look if you really look closely at the paint.  I liken it to a fingernail.  Acrylic, the color seems more consistent throughout.

Of note, on an original paint Cadillac  (other GM cars may display this as well) the hood and front fenders are a slightly different shade than the body.  Hoods and fenders were stamped and painted at the main plant on Clark Ave where the bodies were done at the Fleetwood plant across town.  This paint difference is noticeable in some factory photos and is really obvious with metallics.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 09:24:53 AM »
In my years of working at the dealership level for GM dealers, I have seen more than one Buick, Pontiac, and GMC truck come through with the front half of the vehicle have a slightly different shade of color than the back half.  You would think that the different plants would share the same batches of paint, but I guess not.  Quality control was not a big consideration back in the day.  :( :( ;) :)

Bill

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
So that body assembly was probably standard Fisher practice.  Since transporting hoods and fenders already painted plus keeping them with the body and free from damage during final assembly would be next to impossible.  Leaving that work to the main plant saved time and, knowing GM, money...

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
"Magic Mirror" acrylic lacquer was standard on Buicks starting with the 1955 models.  Switch-pitch Dynaflow was also new on the '55's.  I believe the GM trucks had the old lacquer until the 1960 models.  Acrylic lacquer was relatively forgiving, but it was also easily damaged.  The paint film was deeper and shinier than the old lacquer was.  Metallic paint became popular after acrylic lacquer came out, particularly on Buick.  I know the bodies at "Buick Main" in Flint came down a different line than the front clip.  The frame and chassis came down the line, then the body was lowered onto it.  The front clip went on later.  I had not heard the story about the front clip being painted in a different plant from the body.  It was always my belief that GM did a good job at painting, but they did a lousy job of aligning body lines.  Cadillac and Buick were not too bad, but the lower end of the line got worse.  My '73 Chevy truck has horrible body lines.  If you straighten them up, it looks strange.