Author Topic: Mini Magnavox, Child Version?  (Read 277 times)

TJ

• View Profile
Mini Magnavox, Child Version?
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:19:50 AM »
Saw this little guy at the Maumee Antique Mall in Maumee Ohio, couldn't find the model number.  It looks like a child-sized console, solid state, looking in through the back I could see that it had 2 speakers per channel. Were these very common? I have never seen one before, must have been one lucky kid to get one of these back in the day!

Cute little thing! 

Bill

• View Profile
Re: Mini Magnavox, Child Version?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 06:32:10 AM »
I've not seen one before.  It is cute!  There is a guy here on the forum that I swear has all the unique things ever made.  I will PM him to make sure he reads this post.

Bill

1959MagnificentMagnavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »
I saw one of those once a long time ago. I dont think they were made for a child, I think these were display units or samples from the factory to a dealer? I could be wrong but thats what i think.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
Just how big, or little were they anyway?   What's anyone's guess on dimensions?  Just curious.

Bill

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
It was maybe about 3 feet wide, 2.5 tall.  Not taller than the seat of a standard chair. 

I had wondered if it was a dealer sample or display unit, but, why make it fully functional?  It sonically would not sound as good as the larger units.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 03:07:44 PM »
Hmmm.  Could it just be a small, inexpensive unit for people that did not have a lot of room or limited budget?  The cabinet looks like typical Magnavox quality.  I have seen other brands with small consoles that were sold as that.  Looking through the Magnavox info here in the downloads I do not remember seeing anything like it.  This may just be another mystery of Magnavox.  ::) :o :o ;) :)

Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 04:26:44 PM »
         I notice the record changer  had the on-off  reject and concentric speed change knobs on the right front instead of left front of the base so the linkages had to be completely relocated for that change. Also, no FM-AM tuner ? Looks like a chairside model made by Magnavox for someone's maiden Aunt Matilda,   

hermitcrab

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »
It is pretty cool ...if they were all that size , I would have about 2 dozen in my basement. lol.
Elton

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 06:53:42 PM »
I just went back to the Antique mall today and the little Magnavox was gone.  They were having a big 15th anniversary sale this weekend with 15% off most items, someone must have jumped at the opportunity!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
Sorry you missed out.  It would have been a neat thing to have in a collection. 

Bill

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »
I wasn't going to buy, just look a little harder for more information on the unit for those looking for more information.  Kinda wondered if it was someone from this site that had to have it!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
Hopefully if it was someone from here they will share!

Bill

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:34:17 PM »
Take a look at page 18 in the 1969 catalog that is in the downloads section for these "Compact"  Astro-Sonic consoles.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:03 AM »
Well would you look at that.   Thanks Ken, it actually was a model offered in the regular Magnavox line up. 

Bill