Author Topic: Friend interested in 1963 AstroSonic 1-ST682  (Read 140 times)

Burnsy949

• Just getting started with consoles.
    • View Profile
Friend interested in 1963 AstroSonic 1-ST682
« on: December 01, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »
Hi all,

I have a friend who is interested in a 1963 AstroSonic 1-ST682 he found locally.   It's an early Astrosonic, which I think is better than a later AstroSonic, but curious what you all think of these?  I think this is the 100 Watt unit with 15" woofers and horn tweeters.   Probably a Micromatic S-600 record changer, but not 100% sure on that yet.   Picture below.  Original warranty card still with unit - looks fantastic.  Probably 1 owner since new. 
1947 Magnavox 148B - CR-197D chassis, 1961 1ST611 Concerto Far Eastern Contemporary.

TC Chris

• View Profile
Re: Friend interested in 1963 AstroSonic 1-ST682
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 08:16:43 PM »
I can't comment on audio or electronic qualities of this unit, but my theory is "buy what makes you happy."  That doesn't mean "buy what the ads say will make you happy,"  a different notion altogether, but follow your instincts. 

Chris Campbell

Burnsy949

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
Thanks Chris.  I've never had much interest in the AstroSonic units (simply because they aren't tube), which is funny because I fully recognize that electronics went Solid State for many good reasons.  Call me a tube snob when it comes to older audio electronics I guess.  However, the more research I do about the AstroSonic 100s (here and elsewhere) the more I am starting to realize that the sound quality on these is probably excellent, and may in fact be (subjectively) better than any of the tube models.   They have just been less interesting to me personally because they aren't tube driven.

That said, my friend fell in love with my (tube) Concerto, and now wants a console for his house.  He found this AstroSonic for sale, one owner since new, in great condition, and for a reasonable price.  Going to see it soon.  I'll keep the group posted on my findings.
1947 Magnavox 148B - CR-197D chassis, 1961 1ST611 Concerto Far Eastern Contemporary.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »
I'm sort of an agnostic in the tube vs transistor debate.  I recall the Julian Hirsch review of the Heathkit AA-22 amp back in about 1964 or '65.  He said it had the sound of certain very expensive tube amplifiers.  I guess either mode can be engineered well or poorly.  The guy that I rescued the mahogany Maggie cabinet for was showing off his  1930s and '40s tube radios with audio inputs for digital or other sources. They sounded shockingly good on good source material. Mind you, these are antiques and not augmented with negative feedback or exotic circuits. 

The major advantage of tubes for me is that I understand the circuitry (dimly, but somewhat). 

Chris Campbell

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:41:23 AM »
I wouldn't haul an Astro-Sonic home if you gave me a semi load and paid me to take them at this point.  That said, the Astro-Sonics pretty much out-performed the tube models, at least all I the ones I ever heard do.  The 100-watt ones were especially potent.  So, if someone was not strictly a tube stereo collector, they would be worthy of consideration.  The early Astro-Sonics, housed in the old solid wood cabinets, might change my thinking on this one day.  The one you posted is particular handsome.
I don't need Google.  My wife says she knows everything.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
The 1P3700 I owned sure sounded (and looked) good, and I was quite happy to own it until I acquired a couple of higher end tube consoles.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Burnsy949

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 09:41:50 AM »
Thanks all.  We went and looked at it today.  It was in nice shape, and sounded quite good - lots of power for sure.  The radio worked fine and changer even worked (bonus).   In the end, I don't think my friend liked the style of the cabinet enough to pull the trigger - at least not right now.  We ended up going to look at another old Olympic ST-213 console, which was nice, but also solid state with 8-track, etc.   The styling was nice, but it wasn't up to Magnavox quality in my opinion, and a little too "late 60s" with the record changer and controls.  I think he'll keep looking.   He's going to see another AstroSonic tomorrow.  We will be keeping eyes out for early 60s tube models also.