Author Topic: New Project  (Read 320 times)

1988bluebird

• View Profile
Re: New Project
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2020, 06:34:40 PM »
I'm enjoying following this restoration  ;D
My consoles:
1939 Zenith AM console 8S359
1949 RCA Victor AM/FM "dual phonograph" console 9W105
1958 RCA Victor New Orthophonic HI-FI phonograph console SHF-6
1950 Magnavox Wedgewood AM/FM phonograph console CR-216

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2020, 08:37:11 PM »
After I eat dinner I'll head out and mount the chassis on my new holder and get started.  But first, here's a photo of my brother, 2 years younger, at Christmas, 1950, with the radio in the background. The radio was about 9 and we were younger.  My hand and cheek appear at the far left edge. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 10:41:40 PM »
Just in from the shop.  I  finished the chassis holding fixture and then mounted the radio in it.  Here's a view of the situation on top of the table saw.  If I could find room for the GE in the house, that would free up space on the Workmate bench.  But the name of my house--"the small house with the large price"--is true.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »
I like it Chris.  I may have to build one for my bench.

Bill

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2020, 11:03:47 AM »
Like that chassis jig.. clever!

"small house withe big price"... is it on the water? That'll do it every time!
Happy Motoring! from Roger in NY

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
Well, the town is on the water and it makes everything pricey.  I'm about a mile from the shore.  A recent news item observed that our ZIP code has more millennial millionaires than any other.  Note:  not the most total, just the most in one ZIP code, and we're taking millennials only, but hey, we'll take the honor.  The real problem is short-term rentals.  It's a vacation town, and people are buying up in-town houses to make money on by renting them out.  It skews prices way up, keeps local people from being able to buy, and makes us a sort of Disneyland.  And then we have the wealthy folks from elsewhere who buy up houses as vacation homes, ones that sit vacant a lot.  This is a desirable place to live because it's compact, pretty, safe, and well provided with amenities.  I live a mile from work so I ride my bike to work and in the summer I ride it down to my boat.  It was good luck that I snagged the small house 25 years ago, before prices got even more outrageous than they were then. 

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:43 PM »
Tonight's work:  replacing filter caps (3) and the line cord.  Two 16 mfd/400 V caps were original.  They were axials,  in cardboard tubes  secured by a metal band soldered to the chassis.  I was able to push the cans out of the tubes and put the new, tiny electrolytics inside the tubes.  The third, a 32 mfd/450V, was a newer one.  I may have installed it.  I set it aside for possible re-use in an emergency--it's newish and would have had very few hours on it.  The line cord is an extension cord with the end  cut off (much cheaper than buying zip cord & plug).  I had to run into the house to Google polarized plug polarity--I can never remember which blade is hot and which neutral.

One of the original caps was not actually soldered to its terminal strip.  It was crimped around the lug but no solder in sight even though other wires to that lug were secured.  Oops, an 80-year-old QC issue....

And there's an extra wire coming out of the power transformer shell.  It stretches under all the components to mid-chassis or just beyond, then it's bent back on itself and taped.  ????  That's an 80-year-old mystery.

Next step--the wax and paper caps.  Maybe tomorrow night.  And I'll check some resistors for tolerance.

Chris Campbell

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 07:10:39 PM »
Today's task was replacing the wax/paper caps.  There are a lot and they are not always conveniently located.  There are 4 that were not in my stash (capacitance or voltage) so I have ordered up some more to finish the job.  There are a few as-drawn vs. as-built discrepancies and I think I will go as-built.  Also, it looks like the original power transformer was replaced.  There's a lot of brown crud in its vicinity and the screws are a bit cobbled (new holes, an odd washer).  That might explain why the original 5Z3 was replaced with a 5U4 (new socket too).

I'm up to a total of two non-soldered joints now.  This set must have been built on a Friday afternoon.  Or a Monday morning.

Tomorrow I may check the resistors.

Chris Campbell

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »
It's funny as we look over our projects as to what was done by someone else. Some repair guys do a good neat job, and some are hacks.  Keep up the good work Chris.

Bill