Author Topic: Greetings from Alexandria, VA!  (Read 1872 times)

StanB

• View Profile
Greetings from Alexandria, VA!
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:07 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been collecting and restoring vintage radios for the past 25 years.  I collect pre-war consoles made by Zenith and RCA Victor, and have had several 1960s RCA Victor stereo consoles over the years. 

Great to meet everyone!

Stan

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from Alexandria, VA!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Welcome to our group, Stan.  This is becoming a very special place.

I love that blonde RCA console.  What model number is that?
--Larry

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
Great consoles!!! Welcome!!!!
Tom

StanB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
The blonde PVCR-182 3-channel stereo from 1961 has been my main console in the family room for the past 15 years.  Has a wonderful, warm sound with lots of bass from that 15 inch sub-woofer! 

The solid state VHT75W "Finlandia" from 1966 is the latest console and will replace the blonde stereo after the room is remodeled.  Each channel has a 15 inch woofer, mid-range, tweeter, and a horn for "presence".  I just finished changing out all of the electrolytics on the tuner and the power amp, it it sounds really awesome! 

Stan

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
Welcome Aboard!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
Stan, welcome to the group. I love your consoles, they look absolutely beautiful.
Pat

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »
Hi Stan.  I just joined today as well.  You mention that you have had several 60's RCA consoles.  My latest 'gotta have' console, is a '62 RCA console.  This is most likely the last model before the new Vista came out.  It would have the Studiomatic changer with the oval balance arm.  This was used in both the tube and SS models during the early/mid 60's. I've seen the tuner in both vertical and horizontal configurations, but they both seemed to have the cool blue FM tuning light.  The pic attached is what I think my favorite combo is.  You wouldn't happen to have one of these would ya?????
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

StanB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
I did have a stereo that had the same model receiver as yours, but had the previous model record changer. I then had another model that had your Studiomatic changer in it but had a later model receiver in it. I'll see if I can find some pics of both and post them.

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
I did have a stereo that had the same model receiver as yours, but had the previous model record changer. I then had another model that had your Studiomatic changer in it but had a later model receiver in it. I'll see if I can find some pics of both and post them.

In my search for this combination I have found the same thing you did.  One with the right TT, but SS tuner, and Right Tuner but wrong TT....ugh.   Patience and it shall come to me :)   Thanks for checking!!!
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 04:39:35 AM »
Stan---
       Is your ID picture by any chance a late '30s RCA with a 6F6, a 5W4, plunger type trimmer capacitors with locknuts, and a red-amber-green selector lights arranged like a stop light behind the middle of the dial ? If so, that is like my first radio, no cabinet, from my teen years in the late 60's. It also came with a bare 12" field coil speaker.  I never did find out what kind of cabinets held that particular chassis. It also had 6K7s, 6A8, and 6F5, all with grid caps, and a 6H6 "shortie". It always gave me a good jolt when I touched the knobless controls in my socks as it was in the basement with a cement floor.
  ed from Baltimore

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:32 AM »
Welcome Stan!

You aren't really going to get rid of the blonde console are you?  That sure looks like a keeper too me.

Bill

StanB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 03:52:28 PM »
Hi Ed from Baltimore - that is from an RCA Victor 9K1 console. My grandparents bought that in 1937 and has been in my possession since the late 1970s...

Hi Bill - I still have the blonde console, with no intentions of selling it.  Itís in my workshop in the basement, and I play it all the time!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 10:47:03 PM »
That's good to hear!
Bill

ed from Baltimore

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 05:32:07 AM »
       Well Stan, that 9K1 RCA chassis and a few other "donations" started a lifelong hobby and when I saw your logo of that dial I knew this was the website of my dreams. Until my high school ham radio started having hamfests, my only old radios were that RCA, a late 40s Magnavox Belvedere, cabinet only, dull orange shade wood  that had been converted to a component hifi inside, but still had the tube layout chart to tantalize me with the chassis that it originally had. I remember 6L6s and a magic eye tuning tube.
     The parents of my friend from junior high school had an RCA stereo console that must have been pretty expensive new and might be the same one you have. It had swing-out satellite speakers that could be unhinged but never were, a 15 " woofer in the main cabinet, and  3 amplifier channels with 6BQ5s and 6CG7s. The tuner/preamp chassis had a red light panel that glowed left and right as the balance control was rotated. His father only played classical music on it but when the parents weren't home, his older brother would blast out the music  with the Doors and Janis Joplin.
        I used to think a young teenager couldn't get interested in electronics and radios today because of the unrepaitable  nature of new electronics, but these old stereo consoles would be perfect projects to learn from.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
I need to look back over this forum Stan, I like your RCA a lot. Several have turned up recently, none as nice a cabinet as yours of course.

A 1957 Fisher 610 receiver was my first high-fidelity unit to enjoy, at least before the power transformer let out ALL of its magic smoke one night :'( after I fell asleep to a terribly-missed "elevator music" station, which every town in PA over 30,000 population seemed to have.

The first complete console "HiFi" I got to play with 40 years ago 8), was a 1960 RCA with single-ended 6BQ5 stereo amp, not a three channel. Probably had modest 10-inch drivers and RCA's cone tweets. Its sound was quite different from a 1959 Motorola 6BQ5 3-channel  amp and tuner that began this obsession long ago. It was equally enjoyable. I have only discovered Zenith and Magnavox's tube stereo consoles recently. 

Speaking of music from well after the equipment's era of manufacture: I only liked top 40 and album rock from BTO, ELO and Boston in my early tech days. I also preferred this type of music via those very selective FM mono tuners rather than from the less than perfect record changers I had no patience or guidance then to service.

My parents had lots of instrumentals and show tune albums from the early 60s, which I re-discovered in the last 20 years. My wife's late grandfather's Billy Vaughn sounds better than anything else on my 1960 Magnavox Symphony. I had Andy Williams playing on a very basic 1959 Zenith console - my dad could not get over how great it sounded, as it was intended. My folks graduated straight from a 1957 Birch AM-phono portable (voice of music) mono player to a separate component system in 1967, several years after they bought most of their records. That systems' Dual 1009 sounded far better with my rock albums 10 years later, than it did with their classics.

The transistor era ushered in "better stereo" recordings, making earlier records playing on the new "solid state" equipment sound odd in comparison, less full of life IMHO.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave