Author Topic: Plinth Modification for 1957 Magnavox Serenade  (Read 13545 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Plinth Modification for 1957 Magnavox Serenade
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:51 PM »
Very true on all points Larry. Thank you all for the very spirited discussion 😀

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2015, 11:14:21 PM »
I didn't realize a discussion of a plinth modification for a later model changer would involve this much discussion, but you never know what will wind up being discussed in a message board thread.

Funny thing, I mentioned the annoying male mockingbird to my neighbor friend, and he said he'd go right to sleep with the thing loudly chirping outside his bedroom window.  I suppose I have programmed my brain to hate unwanted noises, and I have told the brain that I can't go to sleep with this bird chirping.  Likewise, I suppose my brain perceived that this motor hum was totally unacceptable, and that it must go away if I am to keep this console.  It might not even bother its next owner one single bit!

Sometimes, in restoring these vintage changers that have individual speed turrets, there is a tad of turret clatter to one or two of the turrets.  That clatter annoys me to the n'th degree, and although it might not even bother my customer, I worry that it just might and that I'd better get that turret running as quietly as possible.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »
My Micromatic changer for the Serenade is due to arrive today.  I can't wait to get it and start working on it.................
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
New projects are very exciting ;D

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2015, 10:41:38 AM »
New projects are very exciting ;D
Absolutely are, Pat.  I hope the idler and drive wheels are good in it.  The first thing I've got to do is hook up the power cord to it so I can connect it to the tuner power jack and also connect the auto/manual switch on the cabinet.  Then, I will probably set it in my changer stand and hook it up to see how she runs and how quiet it is.  If the motor mounts, idler and drive wheel are all good, then it may only require a service of the motor bearings.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »
The wheels are interchangeable across the units Larry. There are minor differences in the thickness of the wheels and construction. Some are fully coated in rubber, some are rubber just on the edge like a tire. You'll probably be able to use a combination of what you have on hand if necessary.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »
The wheels are interchangeable across the units Larry. There are minor differences in the thickness of the wheels and construction. Some are fully coated in rubber, some are rubber just on the edge like a tire. You'll probably be able to use a combination of what you have on hand if necessary.
That's good to know.  The idler is good in the continental series changer I'm replacing.  The drive wheel in that one went bad on me about a week ago with an indention in one place that caused it to go "thump, thump, thump....."  I am hopeful the Micromatic has a good drive wheel.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
Yesterday I spent some time tidying up the power cord that connects the changer to the tuner jack and to the auto/manual switch.  It now looks a lot better than the rat's nest that it once was.........

The black round plug connects to the tuner.  I installed the white molex connector so that I could disconnect the cord from the auto/manual switch mounted inside the cabinet.  There are three wires that connect to the changer--- red, black and yellow--- I didn't have any yellow wire so I used green wire to extend the yellow wire.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 03:03:52 PM »
I didn't notice until I had bought the Micromatic that the changer support springs were missing.  Yesterday I removed the springs from the continental changer and have them ready to install on the Micromatic.

Today's been a waiting game, as usual.  Anytime something comes UPS or Fed Ex, I am here all day waiting and waiting on delivery.  Still don't have the changer, and it's 3 pm.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
Larry, the springs may very well work but the originals are very different. The Micromatic springs point down, while the older models point up. They're different sizes as well.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
Good news.  The changer arrived about 3 hours ago, and I cleaned the top, checked the drive and idler wheels, and they are absolutely perfect.  The motor mounts are in great shape too.  I moved my changer stand next to the console, placed the changer in it, and hooked up the power cables and phono cables.  It is working like a brand new changer, absolutely flawless, and quiet as a mouse!!!!!

Pat, the springs from the continental changer will work, but they have to be mounted with the small cone end at the top.  The mounting posts are threaded, and I had one nut that went right down and fully secured one of the springs.  Tomorrow I've got to go to the hardware store and get two more nuts to secure the other two springs........

I installed a new diamond needle in the EV 26 cartridge and the tracking is set at 5 grams.  I also cleaned and re-lubed the platter bearings.  All I need to do tomorrow is service the changer motor, finish the two springs, and this baby will be ready to install in the Serenade cabinet.

I'm so excited it's working so good!!!!!!!!!!!
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2015, 07:45:03 PM »
Oh, the Micromatic works perfectly with the manual/auto switch inside the cabinet too.  When switched to auto, when the changer shuts off, the entire set shuts off.  In manual mode the changer shuts off, but the amp and tuner are still on.   :)

I'm listening to some Santana on it right now, and she sounds phenomenal............

--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:15 PM »
Congrats Larry! The whole thing is working out great 😃

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Here's a quick shot of it playing. The changer would not mount on the changer stand in the center of one side, and it was a little tipsy, so I supported it with a box for testing purposes.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »
Dang i love Collaro Micromatics... the sweetest record changer ever made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--Larry