Author Topic: Plinth Modification for 1957 Magnavox Serenade  (Read 14119 times)

Magnavoxland

Re: Plinth Modification for 1957 Magnavox Serenade
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 02:25:10 PM »
I just installed the Micromatic in the Serenade.  I hereby proclaim this set totally finished... it sounds absolutely marvelous.  Who needs a Concert Grand... this thing is blowing me out of the room at 1/4 volume.  Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jamming out right now to Huey Lewis & the News.... great stuff!!

Magnavoxland

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 02:52:38 PM »
Here's some pictures of the finished Serenade.  It's the best sounding, and most potent, mono set I've ever heard.  This one's definitely a keeper. 

Magnavoxland

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »
I've been playing records on the Serenade since early afternoon, and I can't get enough of listening to it.  The Micromatic changer continues to operate so flawlessly and smoothly..........

Magnavoxland

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
While I was at Doug's place in Detroit, Doug tested all the tubes in this set and he found that the four 6V6 bass tubes were extremely weak, and he recommended that I replace all four of them.

I brought the set home and actually forgot about that for several weeks, playing the heck out of this set.  Then, I remembered it and ordered a new matched quad of Electro-Harmonix 6V6GT tubes for the bass outputs.  Those tubes came in this week, and I installed them in the amplifier.  All four of the new tubes tested a nice 80 on my Heathkit tube tester.

Then, I decided to test the old 6V6s to see if they were usable elsewhere in the future.  Three out of the four tested "bad" in the red on my tube tester, and the fourth tested "questionable" in the yellow.  I deposited all four tubes in the trash can.  It's a darn good thing I replaced these tubes as I was living on borrowed time with them.  I'd guess I finished wearing them out after I brought the set home!  The set sounds much nicer, too, with the new tubes... much crisper bass and mid's...............

eman

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
Nice Larry. I know a few folk that have used this $7.99 Ikea Bamboo board which is quite inexpensive there is also the butcher block for larger applications.

E
T

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/cooking/15934/