Author Topic: The Ceramic Cartridge Changer-The Consoles Weakest Link  (Read 5771 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: The Ceramic Cartridge Changer-The Consoles Weakest Link
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 03:51:56 PM »
I would not trade an E-V 26 for a semi load of Grado cartridges. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »
I would not trade an E-V 26 for a semi load of Grado cartridges.
Those EV-26s are the best sounding ceramic cartridges I've ever heard.  Awesome creshendo highs, and throbbing bass.........
--Larry

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 05:16:27 PM »
As a recent ev-26 convert, I must concur ;D
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
My EV-26 rocks...53 years old and still kicking!!! I'll take that truckload of Grado's though. I can keep a few and sell the rest to support my console and LP habit!!!
Tom

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
No worries Eman, you started a good thread and it gives members a chance to express themselves.  That's what good forums and good threads are all about.  My wife won't listen to me rant about this stuff but y'all got no choice but to listen!! 8)
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 09:27:34 PM »
throbbing bass....oh my Larry you really have fallen "in love" with your Magnavox!  ;D

Those EV-26s are the best sounding ceramic cartridges I've ever heard.  Awesome creshendo highs, and throbbing bass.........

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
throbbing bass....oh my Larry you really have fallen "in love" with your Magnavox!  ;D

Magnavoxes, Todd.  I now have four.   ;)
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 11:10:04 PM »
If you are listening to throbbing bass, Larry, you must still have an RCA around there somewhere......

bastardbus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 10:42:25 AM »
We get it, you like to hack modern TTs in old consoles...good for you but not sure your point of slamming what most of us enjoy using is.  Seems to me you just wanted to ruffle feathers or hear yourself talk   :P 

Again, the majority of us like the old consoles for what they are and how they sounded and functioned in 1957.  I drive a 1966 VW truck daily because I like the experience of what it was in 1966. I didn't hack out the drivetrain and install a V-8 and air conditioning because it would be more comfortable to drive,  I want the experience the stock vehicle gives.  That is the same most of us are with these old consoles.

If you want the BEST sound from your console, why not just run a CD player or IPOD through it?   Oh....but you LIKE the sound of (old school) vinyl right?... funny that isn't that really the same point the rest of us like to use the old original changers and ceramic carts?!  8)

Nothing wrong with having different opinions, just have some respect for why the rest of us like to use the older stuff.

I own it because I like it. It sounds much better  w/ a mag phono compared to even the better changers. Even ones I've totally rebuilt, new idler,new cart even from VM etc don't so close to as good as even a run of the mill TT w/ a mag phono. On my MM I can put it back to that horrible Collaro w/ the crappy piezo electric cart that sounds inferior and has a stylus tip when new that is NOT nearly as good as even a cheap modern elliptical mag cart. I'm not putting my records on something with a conical tip tracking at 5 grams sorry. I've seen people damage records just removing a stack from a changer much less what stacking does. I bought used records for over 20 years a s a buyer for a store. When you look at that many records and gather data and make correlations you see a pattern. Ceramic cart changers are inferior. Period.

I like high end audio and have a modest TT rig/cart and tube phono pre valued at  probably $3K retail and it doesn't make me real happy either. Once you've heard the ridiculous $50K-125K rigs you get ruined for the lower end things. A good phono rig on a tube console (no SS consoles for me) can sound very very good. Not a ceramic.

E
T

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »
I'm with you, bb.  Same reason I run bias ply tires on the '57 Cadillac and tolerate vacuum wipers.

Like I said, these things were built when the records were being pressed.  It's the equipment that was designed to play lps.

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 02:15:32 PM »
ditto squared
Tom

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 04:04:52 PM »
Well said, bastardbus. 

Attempting to dissuade an audiophool is like trying to teach a pig to dance.  You waste your time and piss off the pig.   ;)

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:08 PM »
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

eman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »
Well fxxx me for saying in the very first line of the OP in the thread that others would disagree. I didn't know I'd have to put up with being called an audiophool AND being told I was trying to ruffle feathers! Geez you are an oversensitive lot . Have you read my four or so threads I started? I obviously love old gear. I restore old radios but I didn't know I was not allowed to be me.

I like old cars too. I'd love to have a 56 Lincoln  Mk II. But when it comes to motorcycles I want a modern great handling bike like a BMW with a telelever. No harley for me thanks. They are the motoorcycle equivalent of a 64 Caddy when it comes to handling and brakes which are CRITICAL on a motorcycle.

So you be you, I'll be me. I won't say your wrong for liking what you like, If you want to attack me feel free. Happens all the time on the Internet.

E
T
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:05:25 PM by Pat L »

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 10:05:00 PM »
Eman, this is my board and I appreciated your post. Pat