Author Topic: The Ceramic Cartridge Changer-The Consoles Weakest Link  (Read 5769 times)

Skylabs

• View Profile
Re: The Ceramic Cartridge Changer-The Consoles Weakest Link
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
One of main reasons I got into vintage audio was because of cost. 15 or so years ago I had a pioneer elite reciever I thought was the beez neez (at least in the Best Buy world). I've always loved thrifting and one day stumbled upon a Harmon Kardon 330c (70s silverface reciever) for $5 and bought it cause I thought it looked cool. That little HK receiver made my Pioneer Elite sound lifeless and sterile. I was blown away with how much depth the music had, it was so rich sounding in comparison. Since then (God bless my wife) I have bought and sold at least 50 vintage receivers and sets of speakers. I wanted to try and hear them all. At one point I bet I had 5 receivers and 4 sets of speakers in our living room. She knew I would eventually figure out my favorites and I would scale back.
Really all of this led me to opening Skylabs. I figured out I could by vintage stereo equipment cheap, clean it up, listen to it, then sell it for a proffit. Win win win.

Im frugal too, Chris. Ill never be wealthy, and am just fine with that. Back in my theater/automation install days I put systems in for people that could afford $20,000 cables- the only thing we had in common was we both breath air.

Almost forgot- we had a rep from Pioneer come into the place I did installs for to talk about their new product line. I told him my story and his response made sence as to why that old HK sounded better. He said with their modern receivers most of the audio quality budget got traded for the cost of licencing all the Spotify, I heart radio, Airplay, and other crap they use to sell receivers today. Thought that was interesting.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:17 PM »
I find it unfair to compare power cables to the difference between a ceramic and magnetic cartridge. This isn't much of formatting, just cheap, good, upgrades.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2016, 07:55:40 PM »
Skylabs sez: "I'm frugal too, Chris. Ill never be wealthy, and am just fine with that. Back in my theater/automation install days I put systems in for people that could afford $20,000 cables- the only thing we had in common was we both breath air. "

This subject comes up on a sailboat list I'm on.  People on a list like that are the ones who maintain, improve, and repair their own boats.  The hands-on part of it is part of the allure of sailing, and it allows us to own boats without heading toward bankruptcy court.  The whole idea of owning  a gazillion-dollar superyacht that requires a paid captain and crew is unattractive.  That's just sailboat riding, not sailing.  Those $20,000 cables cost 22 times what I paid for my local boat, and you can be sure that little boat has returned more pleasure and wonder than any cable could.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with having good stuff.  It just means that sometimes you've got to pause and calculate the cost/benefit ratio.  For me, that rules out those pricey cables.  But it means saying yes to magnetic cartridges.  There's a reasonable ratio there, and Magnavox should have figured that out.

Chris Campbell

Skylabs

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
I find it unfair to compare power cables to the difference between a ceramic and magnetic cartridge. This isn't much of formatting, just cheap, good, upgrades.

I would agree with you if I'd been the first person to reply to the original post. I guess I was generalizing on where the thread veered off in places. I get pretty put off by people that speak like there is only one correct way on a topic, like audio, which is based on perspective and personal taste.

This subject comes up on a sailboat list I'm on.  People on a list like that are the ones who maintain, improve, and repair their own boats.  The hands-on part of it is part of the allure of sailing, and it allows us to own boats without heading toward bankruptcy court.  The whole idea of owning  a gazillion-dollar superyacht that requires a paid captain and crew is unattractive.  That's just sailboat riding, not sailing.  Those $20,000 cables cost 22 times what I paid for my local boat, and you can be sure that little boat has returned more pleasure and wonder than any cable could.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with having good stuff.  It just means that sometimes you've got to pause and calculate the cost/benefit ratio.  For me, that rules out those pricey cables.  But it means saying yes to magnetic cartridges.  There's a reasonable ratio there, and Magnavox should have figured that out.

Chris Campbell

We are cut from the same cloth, Chris.