Author Topic: Help! Lol :) how do you change the stylus on a 1958 RCA shp-9 console?  (Read 1923 times)

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
Hi guys I need you help. I just bought a 1958 RCA stereo console, it was known as the stereo twins.
I bought a new styles for it but I can't for the life of me figure out how to change the stylus? It is one of those airplain type cartridges where the wings are part of the cartridge not the stylus, you push down on a metal tab in from of the tonearm to slide from left to right, one sides lp the other 78. Someone said you push down on the tape and pull forward on the wing part and it slides out then the styluses clip in? Mines either froze or that's not the way because it's not coming forward. I don't want to break anything, any help I'd be greatful. If you need pics I can take some. I'm sure someone has this changer in the forum, the Todd arm has a gold color triangle that says stereo you use to lift the arm with

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
Post some pics I'm sure one of the Borg can help!!!
Tom

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
I'll have to do that tomorrow because I already came in from my shop, I spent 2 hours tonight just sitting there looking at this thing and can't figure it out. I'm baffled.

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
Did you happen to read the numbers on the cartridge? Model numbers are usually on them and that would help us help you!!
Tom

Magnavoxland

If you have a black cartridge body, that is an original RCA and there is no way to remove the entire needle assembly.  The original RCA cartridges on these players didn't use a needle assembly that has a fork on the end like replacement needle assemblies have.  It was permanently mounted.

If you have a gray or red cartridge body, the needle assembly will pull right out toward the front of the cartridge.

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
I know just what you have. Mine was gummed up too. Give the cartridge a zhot of deoxit and pull down fently on that front tab. It swings side to side to chang needles. Once u free it loose, You can remove the needle easily by pulling on the metal square at the base of the needles.
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

MagnificentMagnavox1959

• View Profile
Hi guys thanks for all your help, I was able to remove the stylus and install the nos one and it's great, thanks again