Author Topic: Bell & Howell Series 850 console  (Read 1439 times)

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Bell & Howell Series 850 console
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:23:48 AM »
Here's another Bell & Howell/Columbia Masterwork console.  This time it's on ebay and they're asking $1250 buy it now, or best offer.  It's the earlier Bell & Howell monophonic console model 850. Of course it comes in the Paul McCobb designed cabinetry.  It has a couple snags in the cane work and a hole in the black covered Masonite panel.  Also, it is missing the metal legs.  The electronics look complete.  It's located in the Los Angeles CA area.  It looks and sounds like they were not treating it very well, until they did a little research and found out this was not just an "old antique radio console" that you can "re-purpose or turn into a bar"!  After the damage they then slap a premium price on the console.  A little extra for the "antiquing"!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mid-Century-Paul-McCobb-designed-console-stereo-Bell-Howell-Series-850-/201375791436?

Rare Mid Century Paul McCobb designed console stereo
Made by Bell & Howell /
Bell and Howell Series 850 Hi-Fi
with all audiophile tube components
Appears to be early production made in 1956 prior to Bell and Howell selling to Columbia
Was in working condition but the wires were cut when the console was moved
and prior to discovering the value and importance of this historical mid century design
Some of the connections for components will need to be rewired before using. 
Should be straight forward for some one with knowledge in vintage electronics.
The turntable will need to be completely serviced
The exterior of the cabinet is in good shape but the finish is discolored
The front has two 2 tears to the grill caning
and the Masonite front panel surrounding the audio components has a hole punched through. 
I do have the missing pieces for restoration
This item is being sold "as is"and as a non working item for restoration.  There are no guarantees or warranties included and noreturns.
This item is fully restorable in the right hands could be brought back to its full former glory.
6' x 19" x 29"  This console weighs in at at least 300 lbs.
Pick up in Los Angeles area only... no shipping. 
Paul

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Re: Bell & Howell Series 850 console
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »
More images:
Paul

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »
Thanks for posting this Paul. I saw it on eBay and just haven't had time to post it. The piece has truly seen better days. That said, I believe it's very restorable. The black panel on the front is readily available Masonite. I actually have a spare panel as well. The legs are another matter, but not insurmountable. With your help documenting yours with pictures and measurements I'm sure they could be readily recreated.

All this is just idle speculation on my part though as I don't believe it will sell for what they are asking. It needs too much. Also, this is not as nice as the almost identical Johnny Horton console recently for sale. I would have loved to own that one.... I just couldn't wrap my head around a trip all the way to the Gulf of Mexico right now. I may live to regret that decision.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »
Come on Pat you're welcome to stop by, I'm before the gulf lol ::)
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"