Author Topic: Question about Ceramic Cartridges...  (Read 11370 times)

medium_grade

• View Profile
Question about Ceramic Cartridges...
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
My CG has a Magnovox Imperial Micromatic turntable. My unit gets a fairly high amount of distortion in the upper-range on loud/highly compressed songs and some newer records skip. The unit was serviced and the cartridge/needle was replaced. I am new to this sort of thing so I am not sure what is normal or not, but I wonder what (if anything) I can do improve the sound. Is there a high-quality ceramic cartridge I can get that will work? What have your experiences been?

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Ceramic Cartridges...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:59:48 PM »
What cartridge do you have now?
Tom

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
What cartridge do you have now?

Not sure. Let me ask the guy who serviced it.

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:18:14 PM »
Sorry, needle was replaced. Cartridge was not.

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
just snap a shot of the cartridge.  usually only 2 or 3 were used on that model so it should be easy to spot.  Some of the ceramics held up better than others so it could be that your cartridge is failing and you need a new one.  maybe a new harness too.
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

624Magnificent

• Western Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 08:50:18 PM »
Lift up the tonearm and see if there are any numbers on the cartridge. You might need a small mirror. One of the common cartridge companies is Astatic and another is Electro-Voice. You might see one of those names and a number after it. For example The Electro-Voice EV-26 is common on Magnavox in the early 60's.
Tom

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 03:45:47 AM »
See attached image. Looks like Electro-Voice though I can't tell what kind. Thoughts?

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:40:05 AM »
It's definitely an EV26. That cartridge is among the best ceramics out there. The rubber elements inside the cartridge can (and often do) become dried out leading to sound degradation. You could replace it with a nos cartridge from VOM. You could also replace it with a brand new cartridge, Gary at VOM has created a kit with everything you need. With shipping a nos part is just under $40. A new replacement cartridge kit is about $30.

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:23:36 AM »
It's definitely an EV26. That cartridge is among the best ceramics out there. The rubber elements inside the cartridge can (and often do) become dried out leading to sound degradation. You could replace it with a nos cartridge from VOM. You could also replace it with a brand new cartridge, Gary at VOM has created a kit with everything you need. With shipping a nos part is just under $40. A new replacement cartridge kit is about $30.

Sorry to sound like an ignoramus, but NOS? VOM?

I'd be very interested in a replacement kit.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:18 PM »
NOS = New Old Stock  meaning a brand new "original" part.

VOM = Voice Of Music meaning   http://thevoiceofmusic.com/   The best place to get parts to service your vintage record changer or Tape Deck!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 12:26:12 PM »
Does the distortion only occur when playing records?  See if FM is crystal clear, and if you have a CD player, feed that into the tape input to see how that sounds.  You need to rule out any problems in the amps/tuner before you replace the cartridge.

To replace the EV26 with a new one, remove the screw on top of the tonearm above the cartridge and the cartridge will fall right out.  Unclip the three wires from the cartridge and take the cartridge with mounting bracket to your work bench.  Drill out the two rivets holding the cartridge to the mounting plate.  That will then leave two holes 1/2 inch apart to mount a new EV-26 on.  Use small self tapping screws to mount the replacement cartridge.  If the screws are two long, you may have to dremmel them off underneath the mounting plate.
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »
To replace the EV26, I simply popped the cartridges out of their brackets and put the new one into the original. Easy peasy  :)

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Does the distortion only occur when playing records?  See if FM is crystal clear, and if you have a CD player, feed that into the tape input to see how that sounds.  You need to rule out any problems in the amps/tuner before you replace the cartridge.

To replace the EV26 with a new one, remove the screw on top of the tonearm above the cartridge and the cartridge will fall right out.  Unclip the three wires from the cartridge and take the cartridge with mounting bracket to your work bench.  Drill out the two rivets holding the cartridge to the mounting plate.  That will then leave two holes 1/2 inch apart to mount a new EV-26 on.  Use small self tapping screws to mount the replacement cartridge.  If the screws are two long, you may have to dremmel them off underneath the mounting plate.

The problem definitely only occurs with the record player. I have a digital music player that I run through it which sounds great especially when I Drive the unit extra hard. I will have to look into getting a new cartridge.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »
To replace the EV26, I simply popped the cartridges out of their brackets and put the new one into the original. Easy peasy  :)
As long as the bracket rotates just fine, I suppose that is doable, although I haven't tried it.  I've run into a couple of these that were a real pain to rotate, and a replacement rotates so easily.
--Larry

medium_grade

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
NOS = New Old Stock  meaning a brand new "original" part.

VOM = Voice Of Music meaning   http://thevoiceofmusic.com/   The best place to get parts to service your vintage record changer or Tape Deck!

What would you recommend, NOS or VOM?