Author Topic: Console to component  (Read 693 times)

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
Console to component
« on: July 04, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »
I'm taking the family Truckster to Florida for vacation, and see my dad.  I whipped up a late Father's day present for him and I'm taking it with us.  He currently plays his music on a newfangled Bose radio.  So.....  I figured I'd bring him back to the days he made me listen to big bands and ragtime.   This was a '58 Westinghouse phono/am radio console. 

Sweet single ended stereo amplifier, one el84 and one 12ax7 per channel.  I believe the changer is a VOM 1211 tricked out for Westinghouse with the nice chrome molding down the side.  Bullet proof changer, still running the same cartridge.  It works great so I didn't have the heart to change it.  Plinth and amp box are red oak stained in red mahogany.  It was a fun project.  Has anyone had any luck doing flips like this?  I can't help but think that I'm going to get calls from my dad's buddies when they see it....it is kinda cool and fits on the shelf.
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Re: Console to component
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:54:28 AM »
Spirit, your Dad is one lucky fellow!  I'm sure you'll brighten his musical enjoyment.  My family could care less about this old, "outdated" radio Hi-Fi stuff.  I'm considered a nut case around these parts.  :o   Have a great time spinning vinyl with he who "forced" you to listen to all that great music.  My father-in-law has 7 cars/trucks, but cannot understand why I have a shop filling up with these old pieces of furniture.
Paul

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Console to component
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »
Looks great! 

I have a beater console in the garage right now that I may wind up doing something similar with the componenets.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!