Author Topic: Zenith console score MK2635  (Read 1960 times)

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
Zenith console score MK2635
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
I seem to be a Zenith magnet these days.  Picked up a $20 '62 Zenith MK2635 console today.  This is the little brother of the MK2685 I am currently restoring.  Its a single ended stereo amp vs the PP 40W P/channel of the bigger 2685 but still a very pretty unit.   This certainly removes any doubts about updating my daily driver.....

My single ended maggie receiver driven setup is going to receive an upgrade of the 2685 amp and tuner.  I'll use the parts from the 2635 I just picked up to re power the 2685 console, then replace the 2635 internals with the maggie tuner.  Resell the two refurbed consoles, AND seriously upgrade my daily driver with that awesome Zenith amp.  Looks like my daily TT will also switch to the 1st generation Zenith 2g microtouch.   It will be very hard to let my Micromatic go.....alot of work and care went into that table.......  and just when I finish the switchover, I'll bet a CG will come my way....

Pat, I also have some Zenith docs I'll forward you for the download section. 
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Re: Zenith console score MK2635
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
The 2G turntable is very desirable, Voice of Music built. I have worked on a few V-M units lately and Ill post my findings in repair/restore.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
the first gen was NOT built by VOM, but it was a Zenith turntable.  You can tell the difference by the platter.  The zenith platters have the clamshell 45 adapter ( extremely cool and it was what closed the deal when I sold her ), and the VOMs have a normal platter with a separate 45 adapter.  I loved that table though, and I miss it. If you find one, hang on tight.

I'm just not a big fan of Zenith tuner styling, so I don't hang on to them.  Great furniture, great turntables and even better amps, but man their faceplates just don't do it for me.    Right now my '78 table is a '51 cobramatic, my mono/early stereo table is an RP 218, and more modern stereo and vocal 33's on the Garrard SL95B

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »
Nice score for $20!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
I don't like the Zenith tuners either.  Magnavox and RCA tuners are the best looking ones.
--Larry

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:36:06 PM »
Nice score for $20!!

it didn't have a TT.  Just a tuner and a single ended amp.  I have a 3rd gen 2G in the attic.  I'm planning on putting that in there unless someone has a clamshell model they want to sell.  That clamshell 45 adapter just trips out folks who are interested in buying vintage stuff.  I'd snap up every one I could find.