Author Topic: CBS Masterwork  (Read 1097 times)

memphiscsl

• View Profile
CBS Masterwork
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the CBS Masterwork M 5122 console. It has a Garrard 3000 turntable. It looks to be at least as old as 1966 (I saw an ad for it in a news archive; it retailed for $399.95 in '66, which is $3,000 in today's dollars. Thing is a speaker is out on it and I'm trying to find out how rare this model is.
Thanks.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
Re: CBS Masterwork
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 03:39:23 PM »
Not much out there that I can find.  Here is a KMart advertisement from 09-08-1967.  Yours is the second one listed, "The Bristol", correct?
Paul

memphiscsl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:41 PM »
Yes, that's it. I found ads for it from 1966 in the Milwaukee Journal and then one from '67 in a New York newspaper in which it had the price listed. I bought one for $50. Sounds great except for the left speaker. Thanks for your help. I couldn't find much on it either.

Alan Maier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
Every time I come across a CBS Masterworks stereo, I am impressed at the build quality and some of the unique design that went into them.

I once had a stereo portable phono that had 3 speakers - 2 on the sides positioned at an angle to reflect sound into the room vs. direct at the side wall, then a third rectangular (not oval, actual rectangle) across the top for the bass. Never seen a speaker like it!

What speaker are you having a problem with?

memphiscsl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
The left speaker. The wire is good and I tested the speaker and it works. So I think it's an electrical issue in the chassis. I haven't removed the chassis yet to take a look. I'm not sure if I can fix it, though. I'll probably have someone look at it. Yeah, this thing is built real well. The sound is fantastic, so when I get this problem fixed it is going to be that much better.