Author Topic: Imperial Danish Modern Jackson Ms. Craigslist $150  (Read 5607 times)

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Danish Modern Jackson Ms. Craigslist $150
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
I think any of the Magnavox in the Danish cabinetry is worth at least $500 if it's complete and in good physical condition.

The low asking price on this is likely due to the location of the seller coupled with a lack of research.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
I agree Ken, the Danish cabinetry is still amazingly current. Not everyone likes it but you can't argue that it's not timeless.

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »
I actually e-mailed the seller back and forth several times.  He didn't know the value of the console when he listed it.  He does now based on the interest in it :)  I almost offered him more money if he would sell it to me instead of the buyer that answered 10 minutes before me, but I tried to be ethical about it.  Besides, you never know if the buyer may be on this forum. The seller said the buyer was a collector and said he WASN'T parting it out.  He jumped on it because of the condition of the cabinet.   I should have jumped at it late Sunday night after Larry sent me the link, but I was hesitant because I didn't know if me and my wife could load it by ourselves, if it would fit in our SUV and we had just got back from a vacation/acquisition trip 1 hour before I saw the link.  Plus I had made 2 long acquisition (minimum 4-5 hr trips one way) trips in the past week. By the time I had talked my wife into another long drive, measured the SUV space and decided at 7:00 am the next morning that it would work, it was gone.  Like Larry said to me, "You Snooze You Lose."  I won't make a mistake like that again.

hwystar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
Hello all, I was the seller of this piece and a new member of the forum here.  No I didn't have a clue its value and yes I do now. I guess I was underpriced for the reasons mentioned. This is also my first time visiting this site where much knowledge resides. I really didn't know they were so collectible and I didn't know Danish from Spanish. I will be looking. I'm always looking for great audio and may even one day own and use a console myself.

To revolverone: At the time the buyer asked if it was still available, I had not received a response from you after I replied that it was. You also stated you were seriously interested in that initial email. The lesson here may be in the choice of words. If you said you wanted it, that would have meant more than being interested and I think you probably would be the new owner today. (not trying to rub it in) :) I do understand your dilemma not thinking you could make it work out though.

I'll be looking, they are kind a kind of rare status symbol from days gone by and the top models are naturally the rarest.
I got my Ampex from the same neighborhood the Maggie was in. A very old upper class neighborhood that when estate sales come up I'll be there.

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:14:42 PM »
Yeah, it was my mistake.  I should have said I wanted it in my first e-mail.  I really did want it, but I just didn't know if I could pull off the being able to drive down there to get it the night I had sent you the email.  Plus I was pretty exhausted at the time I sent that e-mail so I wasn't in the right frame of mind.   You're right, it was a bad choice of words.

Magnavoxland

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »
Welcome to our forum, hwystar.  People who don't know the worth of these vintage stereos either (1) set the price so high it will never sell; or (2) significantly under price it.  You can't go by eBay starting prices either, since so many are priced sky high and the sellers won't come down one penny.  Even if you see a console exactly like yours on eBay with a BIN of $600 doesn't mean it is worth that much.  There is one RCA console on eBay that's been priced at $599 for about a year and the seller continues to relist it at the same price.  Revolverone bought one exactly like it at a flea market in Springfield, Mo., a couple weeks' ago for $125.  I was with him when he bought it.

In your case, you priced that Imperial around $100-150 too low.  This set, even in unrestored condition, should bring a minimum of $250- $300.  The buyer who got it got one heckuva good bargain. 

hwystar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »
That's what I figured, $200 min. for sure to about $300. The one that bought it however after renting a van and driving all the way down from St Louis may have just gotten an average deal after all.

I think there's one for sale in Milwaukee that works and has a remote with it and price has dropped to $400. Its listed on this website.

Magnavoxland

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
Well, if the buyer rented a van for the round trip from St. Louis to Jackson, he didn't get such a good deal after all.  About five years ago I spotted a console stereo that I really wanted in Houston, Texas.  I checked into Ryder van rentals, and found that a van would have cost me over $600 for the round trip from Little Rock.  At that time all I had was a Chevy Cavalier.  I now have a mini van, and have picked up many consoles with it, including a Magnavox Imperial 51 inches long.