Author Topic: Does anyone use a bucking transformer?  (Read 954 times)

SteveJB

• View Profile
Does anyone use a bucking transformer?
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
I have been using my variac set at 110v to run my Imperial. After an hour, the transformer is noticeably cooler than without. 

For longer life and preservation I am thinking of wiring in a bucking transformer but I would like to be switched from the main console switch so it isn't hot all the time.

Have any of you done this? 

Steve

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone use a bucking transformer?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
I use a Radio Shack 6/12v transformer wired to cut the voltage to my Berkshire. It's hot all the time though.
Mark

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
I do not use bucking transformers.  The power transformers on the Magnavox instruments I own are rated 105 to 125 volts.  If you run the voltage too low, you could conceivably do damage to a synchronous record player motor, I would think.  The voltage here got up to about 120 a couple years ago so I contacted the power company.  They found a bad ground on a transformer and my power now runs typically at 118.6.  My experience with Magnavox power transformers is that they run hot no matter what I do.  Good luck.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:25:51 PM »
My line voltage is around 122-126 I run them on a few stereos. I get the ones that are 8 amp rated and have 6 and 12 v secondary so I can pick the amount of voltage drop. The 6 v side got me to 116-117 v.

All these stereos were rated to run at 117vac I would buck it to that amount.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Tubeglow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:17:45 AM »
I use one in my garage for the tube stereo I listen to. Keeps line voltage at about 110 volts. No difference in sound and the stereo seems to run a little cooler.

Blast

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 12:09:03 AM »
I've built a few bucking transformers. This was my first one. The switch selects between either 3, or 6 volt buck.