Author Topic: Cleaning Grill Cloth  (Read 1402 times)

revolverone

• View Profile
Cleaning Grill Cloth
« on: August 11, 2015, 11:11:18 AM »
So my Hoffman has a 2 inch water stain on the grill cloth all along the bottom of the cabinet. It's very noticeable on this gold cloth.  I tried to use some Spray and Wash on it, but I think it's just made it worse.  I'm thinking about pulling the entire cloth off and use a technique I saw on cleaning it using Oxyclean, clean paintbrush and a blow dryer.  Can anyone recommend the best way to clean the cloth? 

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Grill Cloth
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:00:50 PM »
I took one grillcloth to the bathtub and immersed it in a bit of hot water.  Sprayed foaming upholstery cleaner on it and scrubbed it with a large soft bristle brush.  Upon removing it from the water, and rinsing it, the bathtub was absolutely filthy, but the grillcloth was clean.
--Larry

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 01:04:58 PM »
I think I may try that.  I'm not looking forward to pulling that panel and cloth from the cabinet, but I want it to look nice.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 01:08:02 PM »
If you can't get it to look nice, just replace the cloth with new grillcloth.
--Larry

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
Try Simple Green.  I use it on everything.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 06:37:52 PM »
I use a combination of Dawn dish washing detergent and Oxyclean. let the cloth soak for a day or two and then rinse with cold water, lay flat to dry. If it's not clean after rinsing soak again for double the length of time.  I do this with doilies purchased at estate sales and cleaning them often requires soaking for a week or more in order to remove all the nicotine and gunk that they have absorbed over the years!

Do not use hot water or heat or drying!  Test for colorfastness in a corner of the fabric first or you may be sorry!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
Greased Lightning works well.

revolverone

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:50 AM »
So I cleaned the grill cloth and after seeing how badly it was faded, I decided to replace it.  I found a great reproduction on AES and it looks great in the cabinet.  Now the bad part, I tried refinishing the top of the cabinet.  It had dark water stains and the veneer was peeling.  I stripped and sanded it and also matched the stain to Early American.  Anyway, it turned out absolutely awful.  I even applied a pre-stain, but it has dark blotches and the finish is dull. I coated it with polyurethane but it still looks nothing like the original veneer finish.  Has anyone had experience refinishing a veneer cabinet?  How do you get the original finish back?  At this point I think it would be easier to start with a new top altogether.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:31:22 PM »
The blotchiness is likely from your existing water stains. 

You will need to strip and lightly sand the top again. Then you will need to bleach the wood to remove the water stains. Once that is done you can once again re-stain the top for your color match and then top coat to match the original (probably lacquer).
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!