Author Topic: Fisher Ambassador VI, what to do?  (Read 5162 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Fisher Ambassador VI, what to do?
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:09:35 PM »
I picked up in April a Fisher Ambassador VI in ok condition for nothing (literally, it was free.)
It has all original Fisher (rebranded Telefunken) 12AX7 tubes. The thing weighs a monstrous amount, so let me ask you all, what should I do with it? I have a gorgeous Magnavox already, but I'm hard pressed selling a Console of such quality. I'll be posting a restoration series of it soon, just curious what you fine fellows think should be done with it? Perhaps one of you guys want it after a good restoration/alignment? I'm in the western Illinois area. Picture related, it is the same cabinet as mine

spiritofradio

• Richmond, Va
    • View Profile
Re: Fisher Ambassador VI, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »
I'd love a Fisher like that, but like you, I'd grab it for the fun in restoring it and then finding it a good home. 
~~~and did you exchange.......
a 'walk-on' part in a war.....
for a lead role, in a cage?~~~

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
I got about 5 consoles to restore D:
But it will still be a blast fixing it, it has an all tube tuner/preamp with a massive solid state power amp, pics will come soon when I'm not too lazy

Alan Maier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:39:25 PM »
One thing is for sure - keep it intact. Those Ambassadors to a Fisher collector is comparable to the higher-end Astro-Sonic 100's with the Imperial speaker system... or even Astro-Sonic Imperial itself. Someone will love to restore it and bring it back to the excellent console it was back in the day.

You only have 5 consoles to restore? Why so few? (LOL!)

They are sooooo easy to find, but take sooooo much time to make wonderful again.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »
One thing is for sure - keep it intact. Those Ambassadors to a Fisher collector is comparable to the higher-end Astro-Sonic 100's with the Imperial speaker system... or even Astro-Sonic Imperial itself. Someone will love to restore it and bring it back to the excellent console it was back in the day.

You only have 5 consoles to restore? Why so few? (LOL!)

They are sooooo easy to find, but take sooooo much time to make wonderful again.
I've had way more, I generally sell the stuff I don't want. I've had a lot of RCA Ortho's down my alley and I just could not like their sound. 5 SO FAR though, sometimes I splurge and come home with a van full of 3 or so consoles :)

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
Why not get it up to snuff and enjoy it?  Comparing fisher, magnavox and high-end rca's would be like driving cadillac, Lincoln and an imperial.  All are similar yet different.

Free fisher consoles don't fall from the sky every day.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 04:32:40 PM »
Why not get it up to snuff and enjoy it?  Comparing fisher, magnavox and high-end rca's would be like driving cadillac, Lincoln and an imperial.  All are similar yet different.

Free fisher consoles don't fall from the sky every day.
I am a mere 18 year old, I was thinking of restoring it and using it as my workshop system. I'd have it in my room but I live in the second floor and it's heavy enough as is.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »
18.  That's great to hear.  You're well on your way to a lifelong hobby. 

If you are able to hold onto it until you're a bit more comfortable working on it, it may be worth your time.  If not, I'm sure I can help you find someone who would buy it from you.

Alan Maier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:44:15 PM »
You are really bring back good old memories! When I was 18, i actually bought a NEW Magnavox console stereo and I still have it today. But I also had a component system which changed part by part often. Irony is today I listen to the '67 Imperial in my avatar daily and in the garage I have a Custom Imperial (Connoisseur) that is in line for a restoration but I listen to it when out there.

So many people hate anything solid state, but Magnavox did it right. They had to drop the price to remain competitive, but they also always had an extreme high-end model that few people ever saw or heard. Those Imperials had a totally different sound than the typical Astro-Sonics.

My one and only Fisher was a massive disappointment. Beautiful cabinet, Dual changer but fitted with a really cheap Pickering cartridge, but the speakers were awful and the chassis, which was first generation all solid state, was harsh.. made even worse by the midrange / tweeter / super tweeter speaker system. The original owner even had large external speakers attached for better sound... but when I was servicing the receiver, which was a variant of their component line, I noticed that the speaker coupling caps absolute filtered out all lower bass.

An Ambassador should have a much better sound on it's own. Might even become a keeper once it's recapped and playing at it should, and it should excel in treble performance in particular. Fisher had a hot top end, Magnavox had a rolled off top end but crazy deep bass.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
Time to revive my dead thread!
I finally got her out of my parent's garage and now into my workshop!
Here's a photo dump, the top was extremely bad and still needs to be cleaned more, but after a thorough gojo + scouring pad + lemon oil it really spruced up. Rest of the cabinet needs that treatment. Console is totally disassembled for context, it weighs at least 120 pounds just in of itself.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 06:04:39 PM »
Looks nice so far.  That is most likely lacquer.  I actually used maguire ' s no. 7 polish and a buffer on mine...

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 06:08:32 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised, it feels extremely smooth. Fisher tended to use a semi gloss finish, super smooth and has a decent shine but not like the german glass finish that I typically see. I'll clean it more in a few days and get the chassis done, very excited to get this finished

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 07:47:42 PM »
I LOVE that Italian Provincial cabinet!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:52 AM »
More work done to the unit, cleaned the sides and front, as well as the baffles and grill cloth. The "stains" are just the cleaner not yet dried totally. Also restored the Garrard Type A. This is gonna be a shop setup, so vinyl isn't a big concern, I'll later order a much needed idler wheel and center spindle down the road. I hooked up my Luxman receiver to the speakers, and holy cow this units sounds EXCELLENT. Who said Fishers have no bass? This is so far the best sounding console stereo I have yet to hear. And, this is with the original crossover! Vocals are very present, detail is fair, bass is deep and impactful, and no harsh highs whatsoever. Absolutely impressed by this, and this was with a lower end Luxman receiver. Electronic restoration coming tomorrow or in a couple days, gotta wait for the Mouser order to arrive! I'll also be rebuilding the crossover with either Dayton 1% caps or Solens. I'll also have to find a new faceplate, as it's very worn and the lettering is fragile.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »
The yellow cap there is generic, regardless of what is written on them.  Any yellow caps are generic.  I thought you only used the high dollar name brand caps in your sets?
--Larry