Author Topic: Fisher Ambassador VI, what to do?  (Read 5161 times)

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
Re: Fisher Ambassador VI, what to do?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
Those are the original capacitors, larry. I'm changing them with Dayton's and Solens later.

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 01:14:59 AM »
Also, define "high dollar" if by that you mean good quality Nichicon PS or FG capacitors, then yes I do exclusively use those in different parts of amplifier circuits.
It might be wiser to actually read the posts when you try to grill me, as I clearly stated in the newest post that the crossovers have yet to be worked on, just showed them for documentations sake as when I look at consoles I like to see every detail. Especially considering you're a moderator on this forum, I'd expect a bit more from that ranking on here.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy your posts and your knowledge you share here, just don't try to grill me on things you either know nothing about or posts that you didn't read correctly. Just sayin'
Let's stick to my console here though, not my capacitor choice.

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 08:42:15 AM »
I'm using yellow-film .047-630V coupling caps from Illinois Condenser (tubes and more) in my Custom Electra VII's tube amp, [coupling to grids and plates of 12AX7's and on to the PP-6BQ5].

But as Larry might agree, these can be changed to higher capacitance and/or more expensive mylar. Its easy enough to pull the chassis and try better caps, but if it performs like a Fisher - why alter it.

It looks the same tuner chassis as your Ambassador VI, which I will be starting on next.
Any pointers so far?
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

AlexanderMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 09:49:23 PM »
If it's a 690T chassis, there's honestly not much to do. Most of the caps are ceramic, and mylar. Changing the multi section cap with discrete components wouldn't hurt.
But, guess who got put back together last night and is singing like a champ? All the tubes in mine are original Fisher Telefunken rebrands, including the eye tube. Since the eye tube is as bright as it is, I don't think this set was used too much, at least not as bad as I've seen others.

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2016, 05:11:26 AM »
Congratulations on the rebuild.  That's a really nice looking console.  Fisher cabinets really started going downhill after about 1964 when solid state started taking over.  TUBES RULE!

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
Man I love that cabinetry!!

Enjoy!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2016, 03:30:44 PM »
That looks great. Mine will need at least as much cabinet work. My amp is nearly done. Sounds like the tuner is easy ;)
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave