Author Topic: Tape can be a real nightmare  (Read 1560 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Tape can be a real nightmare
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
I caution all my customers to not tape anything to a changer they are sending me for restoration.  This particular customer didn't follow my instructions, and put carton sealing tape all around the record support arm.  I removed the tape as gently as I could, and it still peeled off some of the original paint from both the record support arm and its mount. 

Tape has always been a real nightmare to get off.  Even old tape on a tonearm or motorboard can be really difficult to get off.  I just cringe when I find a changer with tape or tape residue on it. 

Fortunately for this particular customer, I have a replacement mount that I'll use, and I'll mask off the over arm and take it outside and spray paint it white. The next person who does this may not be so lucky.

I provide changer removal/safe packing instructions to each customer sending me a changer for service.  Previously I only had one line asking them to not tape anything to the top of the changer.  Since receiving this changer, I added the following paragraph as well:

DO NOT USE TAPE ANYWHERE ON THE TOP OF THE CHANGER.  TAPE RESIDUE CAN BE A PAIN TO GET OFF, PLUS SOMETIMES IT WILL ACTUALLY PEEL THE PAINT OFF THE TONEARM, RECORD SUPPORT ARM OR THE TOP OF THE CHANGER DECK ITSELF.  PLEASE DO NOT USE TAPE ON ANY PART OF THE CHANGER.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Tape can be a real nightmare
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:33:17 AM »
People try to be helpful, unaware of the consequences.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »
The only tape that won't hurt the paint on a changer is painter's tape.  Some UPS stores that customers use to package their changers will use that tape.
Carton sealing tape and duct tape will leave lots of residue and peel off the paint.
--Larry

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »
Yep super frustrating!!!!!

I get very upset when I buy a turntable and it come wrecked becuase the moron didn't follow my instructions.

Another one is any Tuner with a glass face. Most People have no clue on how to pack one.

Then here comes the sellers classic response....... (I packed it good, its the shippers fault, you need to file a claim)

What they rarely understand is this is not replaceable items that wallmart sells.  These are antiques!  You can't put a value on a item that you waited years to find.

USPS sucks, they are the worst. FedEx has been the best for me.

Things must be packed so you can drop it 10' high on concrete. If its not able to withstand that chances are good it will get damaged.

I've had countless items come to me damaged that I had to suck it up and keep becuase there was something I needed off the item.

Larry I feel your pain!
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »
I once bought a Zenith Transoceanic Transistor radio off eBay. When the box came I couldn't believe what I saw. The box was three times the size of the radio, and the radio had simply been set in the box with no packing materials. I was now the proud owner of a box of busted parts. When I contacted the seller, she acted dismayed that I wasn't satisfied. Like Dave, I ended up sucking it up because I needed some of the components. I should have given a negative feedback, but I try to avoid doing that. Pat

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:50:23 PM »
Pat, I used to try to avoid giving negative feedback too.  But when a seller is so stupid to just throw something this delicate in a box and ship it, I'm giving negative feedback.  We really need to always do this so others might avoid doing business with that seller.
--Larry

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:31 AM »
That friction-stretch plastic ribbon stuff used on palletized items is what a record changer needs to be wrapped in, probably at least 20 wraps.

I built a wood crate with interior framing and lots of bubble wrap to sent a 12" round DuMont CRT.
From PA to Edmonton and thanks to FedEx, it arrived OK. It weighed 75 pounds and cost $120 to send.
Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave