Author Topic: V-M Model 359  (Read 1096 times)

TC Chris

• View Profile
V-M Model 359
« on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:49 PM »
No orphan audio device is turned away from my home.  The house at the end of my alley is being sold, and the V-M portable phono that I wouldn't buy for $10 last week was now priced right--free.  It followed me home.

It's a Model 359, a portable, flipdown changer device from 1963, and solid state.  The speakers are missing, but hey, there's an old V-M changer with a good white platter mat and a cartridge and an amplifier that might even work.

I can't find a schematic for this.  Does anybody have a link for one?   There are many reasons to be cautious about the performance of any early transistorized device, but I don't have a way to examine the circuit.  It's performance is probably not stunning, although it does have separate bass and treble controls, putting it one notch above the real bottom feeders from that era.

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Re: V-M Model 359
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
Pictures, please.
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »
My freebie is dirty and out in the garage right now, but here's an eBay link to one with its speakers intact. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1963-The-Voice-Of-Music-3-Piece-Phonograph-With-Changer-Model-359-Works-/370913863888

Note the buy-it-now price of $599 (!!!!!) and check out the pix of the speaker enclosures (beat up).  Maybe this harbors some stealth electronics that are highly sought after by the guitar amp crowd or something.  Or maybe the seller just has price fantasies.

Chris Campbell

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
Good grief... $599 for a portable.  I think I'd pass.

He definitely has price fantasies. 
--Larry

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 04:58:34 PM »
I took  photo today.  While double-checking the model number, I saw a note about servicing tubes.  Tubes?  I hadn't seen any ventilation slots, so I assumed it was transistorized.  But no, when I removed the amp's front plate as directed, I could spy three tubes- two larger, one small, so it's 2 output tubes and one preamp, and most likely a solid state rectifier.  No power transformer in sight, so probably 50C5 outputs and some 12 V dual triode and a resistor in series.  To remove the tubes I have to remove the amp, also, and that requires more time than I have right this moment.

The tone arm has a little label under it identifying the cartridge as an Astatic 133.  "Needle life 60 hours."

Let's attach the photo.  Remember, this was FREE.