Author Topic: Rare Bell and Howell Console Amps - Williamson / Ultra Linear  (Read 951 times)

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Rare Bell and Howell Console Amps - Williamson / Ultra Linear
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:56:28 AM »
This is a repost of my May 2012 post on AK. I copied it so that the information can be consolidated here for the Paul McCobb consoles.

Here is one of my latest finds, a pair of Bell and Howell 6L6 hifi amps. They are both from the famous Paul McCobb designed consoles. I found them about a year apart and as bad luck would have it both consoles had already been destroyed by the previous owners . The good news is I have the amps, preamps, tuners, scope, clock timer, reel to reel, and all the original brass trim, bezels, and glass .

I intend to restore the individual pieces which because of the modular aluminum construction should be fairly easy. After I'm done I think I may integrate them into my rec room remodel (custom built in). I intend to be able to listen to them in mono or together in stereo.

The amps were sold in 15 watt and twenty watt versions. one of these is an early 1955 version and the other is an early 1957, both were 15 watts. The output transformers on both are ultralinear, but the earlier amp did not use the ultralinear taps. Apparently they were wired both ways from the factory. The schematic states that the two output jacks are for current meters? I've read that these amps were designed around the famous Williamson circuit. I hope they sound as good as their build quality would suggest.

They can use 6l6, KT66, or 5881 output tubes. the preamp, phase inverter/feedback, and driver tube are all 12au7's. The power transformers are huge and are remotely located on each amps respective preamp unit. I'll post more pics as I clean the units. What do you think?
Pat
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:26:26 PM by Pat L »

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Bell and Howell Console Amps - Williamson / Ultra Linear
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
More Pics.....

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Bell and Howell Console Amps - Williamson / Ultra Linear
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »
When I originally made this post I did indeed plan to use these components in a custom built-in. About a year after this post I was able to acquire an actual console and my plans changed. I will hang onto the parts in case any of us need them for a future restoration of one of these classic units. Pat