Author Topic: 3 Years and Counting  (Read 1081 times)

walyfd

• View Profile
3 Years and Counting
« on: October 03, 2015, 01:17:48 PM »
Three years ago on this date, I rented a van to pick up the Executive.  It was a cold, dreary day like today.

Hard to believe it's already been 3 years!  It's brought me more happiness and pleasure, and headache, than I ever imagined...

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Years and Counting
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
Now you owe us some pictures and a story  ;D

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:15:45 PM »
A member on another site answered a Craigslist ad and found this '61 Executive, complete with manuals, r2r with AKG microphone, etc.  The cabinet was dusty and dingy and in the unloved Provincial style.  So, question was to part it out, keep the X202 amp and maybe the tuner and pitch the rest.  So, I said I wanted the 2 and 4 track r2r.  Then I figured why not take the cabinet with speakers and phono....  nice piece to put the Fisher 500B.

Well, he decided it was too nice and rare to part.  Another member had a ''63 Executive.  They were going to take the '61 and give the '63 to someone else...

BUT, they couldn't pick up the '61 for 2 or 3 weeks.  The guys wife wanted it out of her garage immediately.  So, he asked if I could take it within the week and I said YES!  No way I was going to lose it twice...

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »
Great story!

In the past I have been guilty of a bit of Fisher disrespect. It's not that I don't like them, in fact I think they're wonderful. I had a bit of a chip on my shoulder because many of the guys that had their equipment dissed everything else.

My goal with this site is to keep aficionados of certain brands happy without it being at the expense of others. Most of the makers had instruments that varied in price and sophistication. What I really enjoy is finding the best units and designs regardless of who made them. In that spirit a Fisher Executive is high on anyones list (or should be). Now, how bout some pics :)

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
Story concludes:  in the r2r manual. There was a receipt for a replacement speed knob from a shop in NYC around the financial district.  The Fisher showroom was midtown at that time around 5th or 5th Street.  Why buy a replacement knob for a brand new console from a 3rd party dealer?  And the warranty card was never sent in from the numbers - matching owners manual.

The receipt was dated late April of '61--the weekend Judy Garland played Carnegie Hall.  The receipt had the initials, last name and an address in Greenwich, CT.  So I decided to look up the original owner.  The house is a 14 room estate in Greenwich built in 1928.  The new owner was a prominent businessman with a chemical engineering degree and known enough to merit a New York Times obituary.