Author Topic: Just Bought a Rare 45 Player  (Read 1978 times)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
Just Bought a Rare 45 Player
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:44:16 PM »
Guys, I just bought this 1950s Majorette 45 player in turquoise and white.  It is in absolute mint condition, and the seller said it belonged to his late aunt. It looks like it was never ever played.  The changer, and cabinet, are in perfect condition. Seller also said it works perfectly and sounds great.  If it does, it will be the first 45 player I've ever found that worked perfectly right from the gitgo.  It wasn't cheap, but you get what you pay for. 
--Larry

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
Re: Just Bought a Rare 45 Player
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »
Larry, that is so nice, it looks like brand new! Pat

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
The seller said, " I found this phonograph while cleaning out my Aunt's home. When I plugged it in and played an old 45 of Bing Crosby's White Christmas (record not included), it sounded fantastic! The sound reminded me of an old family holiday from when I was a kid. The look and color of this record player shout 1950's."

If this has the original crystal cartridge, I'll be amazed if it works and still sounds good. 
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
It sure is a cute little thang aint it?   :-*
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »
The Majorette arrived this morning, very well packed, and without any shipping damage.

I plugged it in, put a 45 on it, hit the reject button and it cycled just fine.  Even the idler seemed nice and quiet... no thump-thump-thump noise, which I really expected since it hadn't been played in so long.

The vinyl covered cabinet and changer are like brand new.  I was surprised to see it has a high output ceramic cartridge in it.  The needle set down will need adjusted as it falls just a tad short of a 45 when it cycles.

The bad news is that there is a loud hum when the amp warms up.  Bad electrolytics, I am sure, but I will go ahead and replace all the caps in it to avoid problems in the future.  It's a one tube amp, but those can sound quite nice with new caps and electrolytics.  It shouldn't take too long to get the amp up to snuff.
--Larry

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:14:41 PM »
Just what makes this one "rare" Larry?
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:07:30 PM »
Just what makes this one "rare" Larry?
The brand Majorette is rare in itself... not too many of these show up.  And when one does, the vinyl covering is usually very dirty and in bad shape, with significant wear on the corners.  This is only the third Majorette I have seen in the last 7-8 years, and the other two were really rough.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »
I replaced the electrolytics and a wax cap this afternoon, then noticed all the motor mounts were gone, so I replaced those.  I had it playing and sounding real good and played about a dozen or more 45s on it.

Then, I went to get a pizza and after eating supper, I turned it on and the on-off-volume control just totally froze up.  Locked up completely and won't move, even with pliars. 

Has anyone had this issue on a control before?  I imagine I could find a new one that would work, but it's possible that I might remove the innards from the control, clean everything, and get it working again.

I've never had a pot freeze up like this one.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:19 PM »
Fixed it.  I noticed the shaft would move back and forth about a quarter inch, so I decided to spray some WD-40 into the pot.  That worked, and freed it up by working the shaft back and forth.  I then sprayed it good with Radio Shack tuner/lubricant spray.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 11:18:03 PM »
Here's the finished set.  It looks great with my turquoise Disk-Go-Case full of 45s.  The little player actually sounds pretty good for what it is.

--Larry

Consoleman

• Southeastern PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 07:06:05 AM »
Nice!
Mark

bastardbus

• View Profile

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
Wow, hard to believe another one popped up this soon.  I don't care too much for the colors of this one though.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
Had to do some TLC on the player this week.  The changer started doing funky things like rejecting in the middle of records, etc. so I took the changer totally apart and cleaned and polished every part and cleaned and re-oiled the motor.  The cam wheel had indentions all around it and it was hard as a rock.  The idler was somewhat hard too, so I replaced it too, and installed a new .7 mil needle.
--Larry

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 08:52:28 PM »
While I was at it, I replaced the selenium rectifier with a diode.  The trick was getting the voltage close to the original voltage on the plus side of the diode.  The original selenium had a 47 ohm half watt resistor connecting the plus side to a tie point (where there was no connection with the tube) on the tube socket.  The original voltage at that point was 149 volts DC.  After installing the diode on a terminal strip, I experimented with various resistors until I got the voltage close to factory specs.  I wound up installing a 125 ohm 10 watt resistor between the diode and the tube socket. The 2 watt resistors didn't seem to hold the voltage too well, so I went with the 10 watt resistor I had on hand. The voltage there now measures 156 volts, absolutely constant, and I get a lot more volume out of the player now.  It sounds really good for a one tube amp!  I am really amazed at how good this little one tube record player now sounds............. :)
--Larry