Author Topic: Johnny Horton's Columbia 1072 Masterwork Console rescued!  (Read 7105 times)

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
Re: Johnny Horton's Columbia 1072 Masterwork Console rescued!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:35:07 AM »
Here are some photos and videos of the Johnny Horton console, as promised!

What is interesting comparing this 1072 unit (made in 1960) to units made in 1957, 1958, 1959 is that they all have basically the same control panel on the front, but the buttons are labeled different things.  On my unit, the preamp pushbuttons are labeled "Channel A" and "Channel B", with selections for RIAA/LP/78 on both Channel A and Channel B--this is in place of the earlier version of the same panel, which added "chop" EQ filter buttons for 3K and 6K as well as manufacturer's EQ settings--AES, NAB, RIAA in a purely mono setup.  So, the big question for me is whether or not the turntable (a 3-wire Garrard RC88/4) and radio are stereo, or if just the tape recorder is stereo.

In addition to the serial number on the back power plate, I noticed that both of the doors that cover the turntable and tape machine have a serial number stamped on them, in this case "141."  Anybody else notice this on theirs?  Probably a serial number from the separate furniture factory, yes?

One other question for the people on the group who own these--I notice that my unit is blonde and unstained on the back, with some stain drips going down the back.  Trying to figure out if mine has been refinished or not.  Does anybody have one that has the same finish stain on the back of the unit as well?

Thanks again for your input--hope I'm not boring anybody....

Deke

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
More pictures, and I'll see if a couple videos will upload as well...

Deke

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »
Deke, believe me when I say your not boring us. Finding and sharing this console with all of us is greatly appreciated. Your console was modified for stereo by Columbia. It has the second output amplifier that is not found in the earlier mono consoles like mine. As to the differences in the preamp, you summarized them very well. The faces are the same, layout wise, but the functions were later modified for stereo. While mine has two rows of different mono equalization settings, yours has one row with less options for each channel. I'd love to see how the preamp was modified for stereo use. As of yet I haven't seen a stereo unit like yours in person.

As to what functions are stereo, I dont know if the record changer was stereo as well as the tape player. One would think so, but I have no documentation on that. As a practical matter, an input selection switch can be installed to allow stereo input to the preamp from any source without modifying the console. I haven't seen pictures of an extension speaker with yours, so I assume you don't have one? A nice period Electrovoice speaker would certainly work very well.

As to the finish color, I think some more pictures in bright lighting might help. It looks like the factory "Sandrift" finish, but I can't be sure. My unit looks like yours on the front, but the back and interior was painted a gloss battleship gray color from the factory. There are no runs down mine.
Pat

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 11:47:56 AM »
Congratulations, Deke!  Was wondering where that beautiful Paul McCobb HiFi ended up. Have fun!!!

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
Before too long she'll be sounding like this.

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 02:01:24 PM »
Thanks dleverson66!  Yours looks and sounds GREAT!

dleverson66

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Thanks, Deke! 😀

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »
Stereo Garrard heads are 4-wire.  What cartridge is in it now?

Those changers aren't bad but what a pain to clean. 

vintage cltr

• Global Moderator
  • they're real and they're spectacular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »
just what you need for that console............

oh yeah, at the Goodwill last night

Loud and Vintage.... any questions?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »
I don't find that the Garrard Changers are any more difficult to clean or repair than most others of that vintage.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

walyfd--I looked online and if I understand it correctly, the first stereo Garrard headshells were 3-wire, with a ganged ground.  I have an early SME 3009 like this, the SME used the tonearm tube as the ground (terrible idea, they abandoned it shortly after).  However, I do think this thing is mono.  The only thing that is really confusing here is that the preamp controls on this one are clearly marked "CHANNEL A" and "CHANNEL B" with EQ curves that only phonograph records would have!  "LP" "RIAA" "78" for both Channel A and Channel B!  How weird would that be if they had a stereo preamp but installed a mono turntable....these transition model consoles are really weird!!  Probably every one was a little different....

AstroSonic100

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 04:07:47 PM »
Stereo Garrard heads are 4-wire.  What cartridge is in it now?

Those changers aren't bad but what a pain to clean.

Some stereo Garrard RC88s and RC98s used 3-wire.  Left-Right-Common ground for both channels.  As I teenager back in the early 60s, I had an RC88 that was 3-wire.  It came with a GE Golden Classic stereo magnetic cartridge.  The left and right ground pins were connected together using a jumper between the two ground pins.

Also, some of the mono RC88s/98s were converted to a stereo 3-wire system by adding a third tone arm wire for the right channel using the third pin in the headshell.  This was done using a stereo conversion kit.

Mono Garrard headshells have three pins.  Third one is not connected to anything.  Later they went to four pins by adding a center pin to the headshell plug to accommodate a 4-wire configuration.

Difference between the RC88s and 98s is the 98s added a pitch control.

I agree they are a pain to clean and adjust, but once it's done they are an excellent changer and gentle on the records.  I currently own an RC98 (mono) which I had to clean and adjust the finicky trip mechanism to reject properly on 45s.
Ray

walyfd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 07:49:37 PM »
I learned something.  It would make sense to get stereo out of a 3-pin head.  I've got the 88 and a Type A with 4-pin heads.

The 88 wasn't too bad to rebuild but thr A was a pain in the A...

These Bell Howells remind me of forward look Imperial with push-button transmissions, electro luminescent instrument clusters and the first auto dim rear view mirrors.  Never enough buttons...

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2015, 12:57:07 AM »
Another update on Johnny Horton's Columbia console...

I should have done this before asking questions.  I read the manual and figured out how to pull out the wooden tray that all the main components are mounted to, and finally got a good look at the connections to see what's up.

As we've mentioned here, I think almost every one of these was slightly different.  When I finally got this thing open to study it, here's what Columbia offered in what they labeled "Model 1072 Version 3A, serial #3118" (what it says on the metal plate on the back of mine):

1.Stereo Preamp with switches for "Channel A" and "Channel B" settings
2.Stereo Garrard RC 88/4 Record Changer (with a 3-wire Garrard headshell)
3.STereo tape player/recorder (stereo input/stereo output)
4.Mono AM/FM radio (which begs the question--were they even broadcasting radio in stereo in 1960?)
5.Mono "auxilary input"
6.Stereo output realized through one "main" amp powering all the internal speakers & horn of the console, and one (different tube configuration and circuit) power amplifier that was designed to power external speakers for "channel b."

This must have been the last version of the Columbia Masterwork Console--looking through everything I've seen I haven't seen one that actually had a stereo record changer except this one.  Anybody seen a later revision than the "3A?"

This ought to blow your minds, as well-- EVERY SINGLE TUBE in this thing is an original CBS tube.  It's never had a tube changed!  Some of the tubes, like the power amp power tubes, look really burnt out and bad.  I'll put them all on the tube tester but I'm guessing that there must be some dead ones.

On that note, it's interesting to see that the power amp in this console has CBS stamped 6L6GC tubes in it, which would actually contradict the notion that the top-of-the-line 1072 console all came with the 20-watt power amp in it.  The manual clearly states that the 20-watt amp was supposed to have 5881 tubes, and the 15-watt amp was supposed to have 6L6GC's.  Perhaps they made some of the 20-watt versions of the amp with 6L6GC tubes instead of 5881's.   Stamped next to the power tube sockets, it says 6L6GC, 5881, KT66 all in a row, as if any of those tubes could be used (assuming proper biasing). 

The whole thing is kind of a rats nest, as expected from a point-to-point wired, tube electronics console from that era, but it's also built like a tank and pretty elegant at the same time.

Here are some more photos for anybody else that's interested.  Pat, do you have another power amp just like this one with the 6L6's?  Would you sell it to me?  It'd be neat to have one of these set up with "proper" power amp configuration (matched amps for stereo reproduction), and build a second speaker cabinet for stereo reproduction with the same speakers that are in the console....

Deke

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2015, 01:01:14 AM »
A few more pics....