Author Topic: Johnny Horton's Columbia 1072 Masterwork Console rescued!  (Read 7649 times)

walyfd

• View Profile
Re: Johnny Horton's Columbia 1072 Masterwork Console rescued!
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 05:20:35 AM »
It's gorgeous.  Dust and all.

Stereo radio was "simulcast".  A few stations would broadcast one signal on their AM frequency and the second on their FM.  Only with separate AM and FM tuners could you get stereo.  My Fisher is set up like this but they also provided a jack for a multiplexer.  MPX was adopted as the standard in 1962.

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »

Hi Deke,

Welcome aboard the forum.  It's a great place sit back with a nice cup of hot coffee and learn something new about  something old.  I have a Columbia Masterwork 1072 also, thanks to Harourmaster's generous assistance!  I assumed it was roughly a 1960 console because the operator manual I put together and uploaded came from Tubeglow.  (Thanks a million, Tubeglow.  I haven't seen another copy of this stereo version anywhere.) He said his 1072 was a 1960 because the electrical engineer, who owned it prior, kept detailed notes on everything.  I believe Tubeglow said one note indicated the engineer purchased the console in 1960.

I'm beginning to think these consoles are late 1957 or very early 1958 production, however.  I checked the base speaker manufacturing date on yours and my consoles.  They both have a manufacture date of "220741", which is a Jensen speaker made the 41st week of 1957.  I checked the vacuum tube manufacture date on your 6L6GB tubes.  It's "5752".  That should indicate they were manufactured the 52nd week of 1957.  I got, what I think is the manufacturer's date code off of the IF transformers on my tuner chassis.  They are "119-7-40", which would indicate  the manufacturer is Automatic Manufacturing Division, General Instrument Corporation, with a date code of the 40th week of 1957.  There is another code on the IF transformers of 273-151.  This would indicate a manufacture date of 51st week of 1951, so I'm inclined to reject this as the date code.  Any thoughts? Lastly, by 1960 I think most, if not all TOTL consoles had at least simulcast FM reception in their reciever units.  These receivers are all mono reception for the FM band.

Unless these consoles were made from old stock parts, I'd list them as very late 1957 to very early 1958 time frame.  If there is agreement here, I'll have to change the 1960 operator manual to 1958, if not 1957.  When reviewing the manual, I also realized an error.  Somehow, I missed adding 4 pages to the document!  So, I'll have to redue it and submit a new document to the upload page.

The first two images below are from your console, Deke, and the last two are from mine.
Paul

Pat L

• Founder of the Board
  • Administrator
  • Southeastern Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2015, 08:55:41 AM »
Gentlemen,
I have one console and two extra sets of components. My three amplifiers we made in 55,56, and 57. Two are the 6L6 15 watt variants (with their own significant differences) and one is the 20 watt 5881 variant (in my console). I think your consoles were indeed made from a stockpile of older components acquired from Bell & Howell with their purchase of the division. I also believe they were sold as new units into the very early sixties by Columbia, rightfully so as they had been improved and modified for stereo.

I have found numerous magazine articles and advertisements in the old Billboard trade papers online. I think I will start to catalog these articles and create a timeline of information regarding these fascinating units. I can't tell you how excited I am that we have reached a point where we have enough owners of these units together to start helping and learning from each other.

To answer Deke's question, I may very well trade one of my amps to you in the future for your project. An interesting challenge for you wil be to build or source a power supply for the amp. The amps power came entirely from the huge transformer on the preamp/equalizer via umbilical. Is the power transformer powerful enough to run another amp? Perhaps a power transformer rectifier unit from a parted out tube organ would be just the ticket. Either way a new power cord, plug unit will be required.

As to the mono tuner on the later units, my guess is that the extremely limited production numbers for these consoles simply didn't justify a reengineering effort for FM stereo. The serial number of 3118 on the Johnny Horton console is the highest I'm aware of. All three of the units I have are under 1000. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there were probably less than 4-5000 of these made over the entire production run.

I would very much appreciate scans of any information any of you have for these units.
Pat

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »
Pat,

If you are collecting serial numbers for these consoles, my Columbia Masterwork is:  series 1072 1A serial number 3018
Paul

Deke Dickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 07:07:44 PM »
Thanks for posting the serial numbers! My guess is that production numbers had to have been very low--the retail price on these units was just too high for them to have made thousands of them, plus if they had made thousands of these we'd see them turn up way more often.

My guess is that the serial numbers aren't sequential, the expense and rarity would tell me that there were probably only a couple hundred of these made--at most. $1500 in late 1950's money was like $13,000 in today's money....way beyond the average person's means at the time.

Deke

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2015, 05:09:58 PM »
I picked up a nice LP copy of Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits at Goodwill today for $1.  I couldn't resist at that price.
--Larry

mootzeroni

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »

I could hear amp hiss coming from the speakers, though. Adjusting the main volume pot I could hear the amplified sound of a scratchy volume pot.

I finally got sound from my iPod plugged into the auxiliary input. It worked, but was quite saggy sounding. Will definitely need a rebuild of the power amp.

Congrats... I have the same console, same color, with pedigree of its own (belonged to Sinatra, came out of his compound in Palm Springs in 1980).  I replaced all the capacitors by clipping the old point-to-point wires underneath and soldered-in new (much much smaller) electrolytic caps.  So at a glance rightside-up you can't see anything has been done.  Still need to rebuild the R-R... belts are shot.  There's a guy named Scott who is a godsend for Voice of Music recorders. http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:58:14 PM by Larry H »

longle

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2016, 05:20:14 PM »
I just stumbled onto this thread. What a fantastic rescue! Kuddos on saving not only a rare console but a verifiable piece of history. Well done!

Larry