Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater  (Read 16978 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Magnavox Stereo Theater
« on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »
An instrument like this has proven more elusive than my Concert Grand.  I am in the market for a genuine 6-knobber like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQHK-oN9ww

One equipped with 15" speakers and horns, with the 9300 series amp chassis, essentially a "little Imperial" with a 27" black and white TV.  Why not hold out for color, you ask?  Early color sets are roundies, typically equipped with a nasty cataract and a solid state stereo chassis.  I want all tube and don't care about the black and white CRT.  I have found a really nice 5-knobber, with VHF only tuner.  The top line sets have uhf, more compatible with modern cable and satellite TV systems.  I'm not picky about cabinet style or color as long as it is not antique ivory.  The wife dislikes "white."  I don't care if it has MPX chassis or not.  Cabinet condition is paramount, if it works that's okay too.  All I need is a good CRT and we can work on the rest.  Are the 27" sets 1962 only?  The one I have found is a 1959-60 with the Conquest changer, and a 24" CRT.  It is dirty but nice.  I have a lot to learn about these instruments.  The documentation that I have seen is not very specific about specifications for these things.  The one I have found is not listed in either the 1959, 1960 nor the 1961 brochures we have in the "downloads" on here.  If anybody can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

danrclem

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:18:50 PM »
Where are you located and how far do you want to travel?  I think I saw one but don't remember where since I do a lot of searches.  I'll be on the lookout for you though.

I have read that my little Imperial came with and without a TV but I can't verify that.  It has a storage space in the middle that is big enough to hold a TV.  The center doors slide out like the one in the video.  It cost almost as much as an Italian Contemporary Imperial and I think it came with an MPX as standard equipment .  These pictures was before it was cleaned up.

Danny

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 06:43:15 PM »
That is the baby.  The one you posted is almost identical to the one I posted off YouTube with the TV.  I know where there is a "little Imperial" that looks like a souped-up Symphony.  It is a model 1ST662S.  I would have owned it, but the seller thinks he is sitting on the Mother Lode.  I am in Arizona.  The principle difference between a Symphony and a little Imperial is the horns.  Symphonies use six cone speakers instead of horns.  And the MPX is standard in the little Imperial.  I appreciate you keeping your eyes open for one.  I may still own the five-knobber, since it is so nice, but I really want the bigger one.  Thanks for your input.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 10:46:15 PM »
I had a extra just like the video. but the cabinet was trashed by animals and the 27" tube was necked......... It was hard but I parted it out. However I have most all the parts.

My nice minty one is solid state stereo and tube chassis TV. It's been restored I got about 1100-1200 in it so it's a keeper.

Good luck, thier out there its hard to find a good one. Mine was a one owner from a estate sale. Of course it was very far away.....$$$$ ....To think the person had it since new till he passed is crazy.

I'll keep a eye out I hope you find a good one!
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 02:31:31 PM »
That has certainly been my experience, David.  I am going to pursue the "five-knobber" because my luck has not been very good with the six knobbers.  I remember the one you had.  I have a Symphony parts stereo that might be turned into a stereo theater.  All I have is the cabinet, tuner and speakers.  Somebody made a guitar amp out of the rest I guess, but the cabinet is too nice to toss, and it was free. I know where there is a TV for a Stereo Theater, a 24" IIRC.  Most of the Stereo Theaters I have found are either partially solid state, beat to hell, or are missing the TV.  The five-knobbers seen to be more plentiful.  Did they make an all tube color Stereo Theater?  My understanding is that the color ones were hybrid.  My guess is that the TV quit working, or people want color, so these instruments found their way to the curb in larger numbers than console stereos in general.  Thanks, guys.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
I think for Magnavox all color roundies were SS stereo and tube TV chassis.

I have a color roundie stereo theatre that I took apart to restore but never find time lately. It worked great then it would turn all white after 10 min or so. It's only vhf and has the cataract issue. Cabinet is decent only small nicks and is slightly sticky on top frame portion. I'm guessing cigarette smoke? It's french provincial with tambor doors.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »
Thanks, David, that was my understanding.  There is another thread on this forum that seems to indicate that consoles are falling out of trees.  I wish one with a TV would be so plentiful.  I guess I have a decision to make.  To hold out for a six-knobber or settle for the smaller one that is available.  Fortunately, I have room in the trailer for the ride home if I find both!

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:02:52 PM »
I have some good news and maybe some bad news for you.  Here is one that looks just like the one in the video except for the color and it's a 6 knobber.  The bad news is the distance it is from you.  It's in the Detroit Metro area.  It's priced reasonable but I don't know if it would be worth it for you to make the long trip.  They're really hard to find so it may be a long time before another one comes along that is closer.  Hopefully this one is still available if you decide to get it.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/fuo/5246928960.html

Vintage 1962 Magnavox Stereo Theater - $100

Antique Ivory French Provincial cabinet with 27" tube TV, radio and Imperial Micro Matic record player. In good condition with some scratches on top of the cabinet. Cabinet measures 63"L x 34"H x 23"D

The radio works. The mechanism for the phonograph works. The turntable does not turn and may need a new band. Unsure if the TV works. There is sound when turned on, but no picture. It's not connected to an antenna.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
Damn that's sweet! Snag it and refinish it whatever you like!

Honestly its not as bad as I would have thought.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
It's a long way from electra225.  It's farther than what I originally thought.

It is neat though.

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 01:35:34 PM »
Use Uship to it in.

Hardly any of my stereos were close to me. I've had stereos shipped in from all over the country. Plus lots of driving. Now I got most all the ones I wanted so I can chill on jumping on them and help others get thier.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 03:31:27 PM »
That thing is SHWEET!!.  The wife will not budge on Antique Ivory.  I don't want to refinish a cabinet.  I appreciate your efforts, though.  I'm somewhat encouraged that I may not be chasing a ghost.  I have a friend in the Midwest who could help with shipping, so that would not be the deal killer.  If it was any other color...........

Thanks, guys.  Hopefully another will come along.  I missed five Concert Grands before I found the right one.

Danny and David, I would certainly appreciate one of you with more knowledge about Stereo Theaters than I have start a thread on these things.  I'd be willing to bet that they are as interesting and varied as the stereos are.  Color, black and white, tube, solid state, 23", 24", 27", rectangle, roundie, hybrid, 5-knobber and 6-knobber.  Danny, your "little Imperial" appears to be housed in a "big" Imperial cabinet, or similar.  I am familiar with one that is housed in the 50" Symphony cabinet.  The "little" Imperials seem to be more scarce than either the big Imperial or the Symphony, and perhaps were only built one year, 1961.  Those might make an interesting topic for discussion as well. 
Danny, would you care to share the model number of your "little" Imperial?

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 04:05:03 PM »
I know where there is one of these, in the Antique White FP cabinet,  that I could probably have with just a phone call.
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 11:51:19 PM »
I really don't know much about the Stereo Theaters.  I'd like to learn though.  I really don't know a whole lot about consoles (other than I like them) because I haven't had them for very long.

My Little Imperial is an Imperial-Contemporary Classic model 1-ST665.  It's on page 37 of the 1961 pocket catalog and was priced at $595.00.  It is definitely longer than the other Little Imperials.  I bought it at an estate sale earlier this year.  It was a one owner unit until I got it.  I talked to the guy who grew up in the house and he said he played a lot of records on it. 

I'll be on the lookout for you another Stereo Theater and hopefully you can get one in the color that you want and find one closer to your home.

Danny

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
Antique Ivory may be "the" color for 6-knob Stereo Theaters.  My wife absolutely forbids me even looking at anything finished in Antique Ivory.  I have no idea why she dislikes it so, but that's her right, I guess.  I am lucky that I have a spouse who not only tolerates my hobby, but actually sticks here two cents in occasionally for the good, no less.   :)
Which one of us is going to be brave enough to start a thread on Stereo Theaters?   ;)
Danny, there is a spot in my collection for a Little Imperial.  My wife is not a fan of my big Imperial, so it has been a tough sell.  The only reason I have the green light for a Stereo Theater is that I told her they have the Symphony chassis.  Technically true, but the speakers are different.  I love the cabinet on yours.  According to the brochure, your little Imperial is in the same size cabinet as my Symphony.  It sure looks larger.  The cabinet on the 1ST662 I'm familiar with is not nearly as nice as yours.   :)
The five-knob Stereo Theater is allegedly housed in the same cabinet as the Symphony/little Imperial.