Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater  (Read 20246 times)

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Mine wasn't much work. I had to clean the tv Tuner contacts, recap all electrolytic caps, check resistors, test tubes and some turntable work was all I did. But it was in almost perfect working condition before I started the restoration. I gently dusted it too. Now I only watch it every so often its unplugged when not in use. I only watch it for 30-60 min at a time to try preserve it.
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 11:18:38 PM »
According to the brochure, your little Imperial is in the same size cabinet as my Symphony.  It sure looks larger.  The cabinet on the 1ST662 I'm familiar with is not nearly as nice as yours.   :)
The five-knob Stereo Theater is allegedly housed in the same cabinet as the Symphony/little Imperial.

Thanks for the compliments.  I consider mint to be in perfect condition and even though mine isn't mint it is close.

The measurements that they give for the Little Imperials is not the same as mine.  I'm guessing that all of them except mine have those measurements.  Mine is 31 1/8" tall, 20 9/16" deep and 58 5/8" long.  It's longer and deeper than my Big Imperials but not as tall.  It doesn't look as heavily built as the Big Imperials though.  I guess that's because of the sliding tops.

Maybe I have a Medium Imperial.   ;D

I see that you've started a thread about Stereo Theaters and I'll follow it closely.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »
I really like your little Imperial.  Better yet, so does the wife!  We have therefore compromised (ain't married life fun?).  I am going to pass on the 1ST662 and look for a 665 like yours.  And' I've learned that the Stereo Theaters are built in cabinets styled like the stereos, but are larger in almost every dimension.  And heavier.  The 6-knob models are heavier than a Concert Grand!
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »
I may be a step closer to a Stereo Theater.  The guy called about the five-knobber I found and wants to chat.  I made an ultra-firm offer.  Not a dime more.  I really want a six-knobber.  I made an offer on the five-knobber and the guy was not very happy with my offer, based on what you guys have paid. 

AMP82-01-00

• Global Moderator
  • San Antonio Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
Problem is there are unrestored ones that can be had for 100 bucks or so. Then there are people who see a restored one sell for 1200 and they think their project unit is worth that.......not!

My color roundie was $100 in 2009

My b&w was 300 plus shipping, plus parts and restoration. I had a friend help me with it in another city. Then I rented a van to haul it home. Roughly 1200 later but its now reliable for many months now.

Good luck I hope you get the 6 knobber you really like!
David        "If it ain't interesting, its really just boring"

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 01:09:41 PM »
The local seller of the five-knobber won't agree to my offer.  He will probably sell to a "fish tanker" for more money.  I missed a 6-knobber that Danny was good enough to send me a link to.  IT was gone before I even heard back from the seller.  It was reasonably priced and not too awfully far away.  There is a five-knobber in the Dallas area, good price.  Still holding out for a 6-knobber.  I only have room for one.  With all the eyeballs on this forum, I have little doubt of my ultimate success.  A top liner with remote control would be killer.  I have found a couple nice Astro-Sonic models, reasonable and reasonably close.  I want all-tube.  I have even found a nice Magnavox console B&W TV.  That might work in a pinch.  It is fairly close, but the price is the problem.  Not worth $300 to me.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2016, 12:12:04 PM »
The seller with the five-knob instrument called and made another offer.  Still too much money.  I want a six-knobber.  I notice on some of the ones I've seen, there is a hole in the grille cloth on the LH speaker (looking at the front of the cabinet.)  This appears to be factory.  Does anybody know what that is for?  The remote sensor is typically found in the TV screen at the corner of the CRT.  There are currently two or three Stereo Theaters for sale on ebay.  One is an Astro-Sonic and the others are five-knobbers.

I am also still in the market for MPX adapter (s).  I need two-tube models and three-tube models.   

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 03:50:28 PM »
I believe those are the "Magnalux" automatic TV light meter sensors.  They sense the room lighting and adjust the brightness of the TV picture automatically.
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 06:08:36 PM »
Got it.  I appreciate the explanation.  Thank you. :)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
I found this one.  First it was for sale, then not for sale, but it is still listed for sale.  Allegedly an Astro-Sonic, but it has remote control.  I inquired again if it is for sale or not.
http://monterey.craigslist.org/atq/5403113070.html

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
The Stereo Theater I posted above is a 5-knob Astro-Sonic with remote control.  The remote control is with it.  The control panel is scratched, but not horribly.  No UHF.  Appears to be a 24" CRT, but I don't know that for sure.  The lady is nice, but unsure if she wants to sell.  She does, the husband is not so sure.  Whatever.  It's an Astro-Sonic, so won't work for me.  It's nice, so if anybody wants one, this one might be available in the future.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 06:29:38 PM »
I'm still in the market for a Stereo Theater.  I want an all-tube model, no Astro-Sonic instruments, please.  I want one from the "400" series.  Models with prefixes 1, 2, or 3 followed by MV (non-remote) or MR (remote control) followed by suffixes 415, -416, -417, -419, -420, or -422.  That would make the model number read like 2MR422 or similar.  Cabinet condition is paramount.  The cabinet simply must be nice.  Dirty is okay, I can fix that.  Electronics should be complete, of course, but the instrument does not need to be working as it sits.  Cabinet finish is not horribly critical, but, like I said earlier, I really would prefer it not being antique white.  All this within a 500 mile radius of central Missouri with free shipping and a three year warranty.  (Just kidding!).  There has to be one out there with my name on it.  There was a picture of the nicest one I ever saw posted on here awhile back.  Now if that baby was for sale.......... ;)

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2016, 02:20:20 AM »
There are currently at least four Astro-Sonic Stereo Theaters for sale on Craigslist.  Two monochrome and two color.  All five-knobbers.  This may be a good sign.  No tube sets of any description that I have found.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
No pictures so I don't know what it is but you might check it out.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/atq/5506778145.html

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »
Dan, I contacted the owner on that one.  It is a five-knob Astro-Sonic black and white.  Really nice.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for one.

The seller sent a  picture of this instrument if I can find it........