Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater  (Read 16859 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater
« Reply #240 on: May 11, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
The seller of the ST on Craigslist in Georgia lowered the price by $50 to $675.  Still dreaming.  12 people are "watching" whatever that means. 
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2017, 06:33:58 PM »
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2017, 07:55:59 PM »
Model 1MV358 listed in the 1962(A) catalog.  24" CRT, but a real six-knobber with FM-AFC.  Looks like a nice one.  Thanks, Ken.

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2017, 09:11:37 PM »
Looks like a VHF-only TV.  I would imagine that in a big urban area like L.A., there would have been a bunch of UHF stations by 1962.  Was somebody just too cheap to pop for one with UHF, or maybe they moved from outer nowhere to the big city and brought the Maggie with them?

Chris Campbell

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 01, 2017, 10:14:34 PM »
Sweeet.  I think that looks identical to my small Imperial except that it has a TV in it where mine has storage.  I strongly suspected that mine was set up to possibly include a TV because of the large space in the center.  I think the price is too high but it sure has good styling in my opinion.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »
UHF tuners are fairly rare in the all-tube ST models.  I have pictures of two, and both of them were Antique Ivory.  One had remote control.  UHF is more common in the Astro-Sonic models.  I have contacted the seller of this one.  Nothing yet in the way of a reply.  There is one in NOLA that I have never received a reply on.  Craigslist requires a certain measure of patience sometimes...... ;)

The six-knob ST models were largely based on the little Imperial electronics.  You could put a TV in probably, but you would need to change the radio tuner and add a TV tuner.  The cabinets in the 300 series ST's were 60 inches long.

The seller of this instrument should delete one of the "5's" and he would be closer.  Why people price these things like this is beyond me.  Too high for the console rapers to make money and nobody in the general public wants one.  There is literally no market for one.  Collectors like us are the only hope.

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
Here's a link to mine and it certainly is long.  I don't think I'd ever attempt to put a TV in it unless I get mighty bored and had a parts unit with all the parts to finish it.  It would be nice if it had one though.  I'd still have to think long and hard to take on a job like that.  OK, I thought short and hard and I'm pretty sure I'll never try it.

Hope it works out for you.

http://vintagehifi.net/index.php/topic,872.msg5175.html#msg5175

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 06, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
Here's another 6 knobber Greg!

This one looks cherry!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/6163774758.html

-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

Motorola Minion

• Southern Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 07, 2017, 01:34:07 PM »
Ken, that is a nice combo in SF!! A 1960 with the "symphony" components.

Speaking of antique white, Its a truly awful style but I have a 1963 RCA 21" color console in French provincial. The flyback is an NOS and its CRT is great. I am having the RCA TV cabinet refinished by a radio collector in exchange for the electronic restoration of two early-1930 Philco radio chassis. A no-cash exchange between collectors of differing talents, a deal of the kind which I prefer.

Only recently I saw its doppleganger, a 1963 Motorola Stereophonic SK79 at habitat ReStore and vowed to do the same if the price dipped below $50, but someone actually bought it - oddly, it had no record storage ???.

Tubes - Magical - Tubes

Dave

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2017, 04:12:19 PM »
Yeah a real beauty!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
That is one of the nicer ones I've seen!  Appears to be a 23" or 24" CRT.  I agree with its being a 1960, but it could be an early 1961.  I have documented at least two genuine 1961 Stereo Theater instruments with the "sideways" tuner, older knobs and the Conquest changer, ala 1960.  I can't find a reference to this one anywhere.  These things are coming out of the woodwork lately.  That might be a good sign.  There was one in New Orleans that I inquired about.  Never heard a word from the seller.  There is one in Georgia that is on ebay with an astronomical price.  Two in California, still too much money, but time lessens that problem.  Let's keep our fingers crossed and thanks to all of you for keeping an eye out for one.

Harbourmaster

• Long Beach, CA 90808
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 08, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
This one looks like it would be worth the drive... especially if you can convince them to drop the price!!
-- Aloha, Ken

No Console Left Behind!

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 08, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
I like the looks of the one in San Francisco.  Magnavox is like a box of chocolates.