Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater  (Read 43729 times)

Nrayer

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater
« Reply #270 on: October 01, 2017, 02:36:13 PM »
New here to this sight. I just picked up this.  It needs some work for sure. Is it what you guys have been talking about?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 01, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »
Sure is.  I have been looking for over two years for one.  Everybody else seems to find them.   :-[
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Nrayer

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 01, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »
Too bad you are in az. I don't have the knowledge to get it back in working condition and would pass it along cheap, but am in michigan

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
I am actually in Missouri for another week or so.  How big a hurry are you in to sell?  Maybe we could get together in the Spring.  Do you have model numbers?  Maybe we could work something out.  What part of Michigan are you in?

Edit....I found that model in the 1962 catalog.  It is either a 1MV417 or 1MV418, depending on if it has remote control or not.  12" big speakers with either cone or horn tweeters.  24" black and white CRT. 

Edit, again.......Looking really close this time, I see it has a remote control sensor in the corner of the CRT mask.  Is the remote with the instrument?
I'm great at multi-tasking.  I can listen, ignore, and forget all at the same time.

Nrayer

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 01, 2017, 10:24:10 PM »
Yep, its the 418 and no remote came with it.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 02, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
Got it.  Thank you.  If that remote is like the remote on my CG, it might not work anyway.  I believe the model is 1MR418.  "R" is for remote control.  I like it.  It is the series I am looking for.  If you are serious about wanting to get rid of it, I'd like a crack at it.

Where in Michigan are you located?

Nrayer

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
very serious. I saved it, thinking it would look awesome in my house. Obviously, not aware of the work it will need. It's a great looking console, other than the top needs to be refinished, sides and front are perfect. Rather pass it along to someone that can get it working. I am in southeast michigan. Near ann arbor. Send me an email at nrayer@ameritech.net if you want to

danrclem

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
Here's one but it's been altered so it might not be a candidate for you but just in case.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ele/d/60s-console-stereo-price-drop/6538091334.html

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 24, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
A Stereo Theater minus the Theater.  That seems to be a common problem.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »
Thanks, Larry.  Looks like a 1963 Astro-Sonic with remote control.  In the old 419 cabinet.  Mid-line unit with remote control is not all that common.  The cabinet is nice.  Solid state stereo. 

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
As Paul Harvey always said:  “And now the rest of the story” or at least the next part of this story.   :)

This post started on October 18, 2015 under WANTED. It was started by Greg, better known as Electra 225.  He basically was asking for help finding a Magnavox Stereo Theater.  It had to be a 6 knobber, 9300 series amp, 27” Black and White TV, basically a “Little Imperial” with a TV, and not in Antique Ivory.  His wife does not like Antique Ivory, which seems to be the most popular model that Magnavox made the Stereo Theaters in.   The thread is fascinating reading and continues, starting and stopping, for nineteen pages (must be a record), which is pushing almost three years.  I would recommend reading it if you have not already done so.

Greg and I connected on the forum because of the HIFI thing, antique cars, (I PM’d him about his Buick) and Arizona.   It turned out his house in AZ was about a 15 minute drive from where I was staying.   Small world!   Anyway we arranged to meet at a car show where he and his wife Mari were showing their 1963 Buick Electra 225 2 door, hence his handle for this forum.  Since that first meeting we have met several times either at a car show or at restaurants.   During our meetings the ST was always discussed.   Greg’s concern, once he found the one he liked, was how to get it home.

On page nineteen enters a newbie, Nrayer, who just happens to have purchased the elusive ST that Greg has been looking for.  (Please read page nineteen, it helps with the story).   Nrayer is located in Michigan, Ann Arbor area to be exact.   Greg is located in Missouri in the summer months and Arizona for the winter months.  Not next door to Michigan.  This is where I come in…..I’m in Michigan!  Not the Ann Arbor area, but a lot closer than Greg.   I offered to pick up the ST for him as I needed to go to Ann Arbor and deliver an electronic organ that I had sold.  This was in the fall and before the deal was made.  Greg was hesitant, which I understand.   Emails took place between Greg and Nrayer and after a while a deal was made.   Basically, Nrayer agreed to store the ST until Greg returned from AZ.  Nrayer is a really nice guy, which is another story that I hope he shares someday.   Greg leaves for AZ and eventually I show up there as well.  Again we talk, and again I offer to pick up the ST.   At this point it was decided that I would pick up the ST and store it for Greg until he could make it to Michigan to retrieve it.  Time passes, and weather not cooperating here in Michigan delayed my travels to Ann Arbor.   Finally the day came when travel conditions were good and off we went with an organ to drop off and a Stereo Theater to pickup.  It’s interesting that the drop off and pickup were only about 10 minutes apart.   Now I have Greg’s ST, and he can’t have it!   Just kidding, it’s a really cool piece and I can see why he wanted one.  It really finishes off a Magnavox collection. 

We are finally getting to the end of my part of Greg’s ST story.  Greg and his wife Mari are making a road trip to Michigan, they are killing two birds with one stone so to speak.  Mari has a sister in Traverse City which they plan on visiting. (Watch out Chris, Greg’s invading your town).  I’m in the little town of Hart which is right on the way to TC.  It could not have worked out better.   Sister visited, Stereo Theater picked up and everyone is happy.  Especially me, I get to see Greg and Mari again without waiting until AZ time.

Just so everyone knows I’m not stealing Greg’s thunder, this was his idea.  He wanted me to tell this part of the story since I was kind of in the middle.  From here on you will just have to wait for the “Rest of the Story.”  ;)

Bill

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »
Not sure what happened but here are two more pictures.

Bill

I forgot to click more attachments.   :-[

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »
For months, I have been thinking about how to best share this long-awaited addition to my Magnavox collection with all of you.  So many of you have kept your eyes open for just THE perfect specimen.  I was extremely picky, having no idea that the field of candidates would be so slim.  A Magnavox Stereo Theater is a fairly rare commodity.  They cost the BIG money when they were new.  Their amplifiers have been discovered by the guitar amp crowd, so they are canniballized for those.  They are big, heavy, complicated and the tube models are fitted with black and white TV sets.  Nobody wants one.  Except me.  I am beyond thrilled to have this one.  Well, I ALMOST have this one.  This is not just a victory for me, this belongs to all of you.  I won't mention names lest I overlook someone.  Thank all of you for keeping your eyes open looking for the PERFECT Stereo Theater. 

I want to thank Bill and Nick for their participation in this adventure.  Without you guys, this would not be happening.  I never dreamed someone would hold something they wanted to sell all winter, simply on the word of a total stranger.  We are going to make a trip to the UP of Michigan to see the inlaws, dip our toes in a lake to be determined and the wife wants to eat genuine Michigan walleye.  And, of course, take said Stereo Theater off Bill's hands.  I'm psyched, can't wait to get started.

It took me a little over a year to find a Concert Grand.  It has taken nearly three years to find an intact "400 series", 6-knob, 9300 series amp, "Little" Imperial equipped, 27" TV with remote control, with casters, Stereo Theater.   :)

TC Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
Now that you have one, they'll probably pop out of the woodwork everywhere!  But yours is a handsome device. Worth waiting for, I'd say.

Chris Campbell

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.