Author Topic: Magnavox Stereo Theater  (Read 23354 times)

electra225

• View Profile
Re: Magnavox Stereo Theater
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2016, 01:20:27 AM »
Pending a response from the seller and confirmation of the model number, I may have found a "422" Stereo Theater!  Stay tuned.
If it ain't broke, call me.  I can break it....

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
No response from the seller yet.  Typical Craigslist........... :-\

Edit......I heard from the seller.  He sold it over a month ago.  I contacted the NEW seller, he relisted it on CL.  "For repurposing or fish tank."  Nice.  There is good and bad here.  The good is that the thing is pristine.  The bad is the seller is a doofus and the instrument is an Astro-Sonic, with remote control. Apparently, there is an Astro-Sonic model in a cabinet like the "422".   Next.......... ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 12:23:12 PM by electra225 »

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
Here is a link to my latest find.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/atq/5519906233.html

And, per the rules, a picture.  Finally.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
A guy, (One of my spies) who knows a guy, who knows a guy, who saw an ad just contacted me about a "27 inch tube tv and stereo in a big cabinet.  I'm sure it's a Magnavox".  I contacted the lady.  Very nice lady, nice to talk to.  (I know, I know)  It is a Magnavox, it is a 27 inch black and white TV, and her grandparents (I know, I know) bought it new in 1962.  (I know, I know).  "It's all tube".  She is sending pictures.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

BTW, if anybody is interested in an Astro-Sonic Stereo Theater, there is about a dozen on various places on the Internet.  They are coming out of the woodwork.  There are DOZENS of Astro-Sonic stereo consoles for sale, including a couple 100 watters.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 05:13:59 PM »
This one turned out to be an Astro-Sonic Magna Color from about 1976 or so.  Totally solid state, not sure about the TV.  It was a 27 inch TV and was a Magnavox.  They sent pictures from their I-phone and I'm having trouble downloading them.  If and when I get that figured out, I'll post a picture.  Bummer...... :-[

The search goes on.....

doslefties

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:29 PM »
Here's a link to a unit in the KC area.        https://kansascity.craigslist.org/for/5512603462.html
Keep Spinnin', Kyle

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Greg, hook up your horse trailer and head to Kansas City.  You can't beat $50.  This one is tubes too!!!
--Larry

amglow

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
All tube, yippee! 8) A 1961 Far Eastern Classic 3-MV415M?  Super condition.  Looks like the MPX decoder is not built in on this model.  If not, they show up on a regular basis lately, on the bay. Oh yeah, and well within a 500 mile radius of central Missouri!! :o
Paul

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:45 AM »
I'm still in Arizona, but I will be heading home this weekend.  This instrument demonstrates one of the questions I have not answered.  What's with the Conquest changer?  The Micromatic changer came out in '61.  This instrument is not listed in the 1960 brochure.  Look at the knobs.  Those are like the '59-60 models.  Could some of the Stereo Theaters have been built for the 1961 model year using leftover 1960 components?  There was a ST in Wisconsin that had the same features.  I appreciate you all keeping your eyes open.  I've been getting packed up to go home and I just missed it.  If it is still available when I get home, we'll go from there.   :)

Larry, I don't have a horse trailer.  Don't have a horse, either.  I do have a little white Wells Cargo trailer that will do in a pinch.  This is about 120 miles from my place in Missouri, give or take.

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
I have reached out to the seller on this one.

I have two concerns about this instrument and the one I looked at in Wisconsin.  First, documentation for the 1960 models is not the best.  The 1960 sales brochure in the Documents section of this forum is not only not much help, but I suspect that some of the pages may be missing.  My 1960 Imperial is not listed in that brochure.  It obviously exists.  Second, I suspect that this instrument may not be a "400" series, but rather a "300".  May have a 24" CRT.  Its good points are its condition and the fact that it has casters, and it is close.  Magnavox documentation is confusing, and the Stereo Theaters are no exception.  The features on this instrument that point me away from the "400" series is the knobs, the orientation of the tuner bezel and the Conquest changer.  The 1961 models, and all the "400" series that I have seen have the black knobs with bright inserts and black pointers, the tuner bezel is oriented ala the Symphony series stereos, and have the "Micromatic" S-600 changers.  Dividing the Stereo Theaters by "five-knobber" and "six-knobber" will no longer work.  I have found there is more than one version of the "six-knobber."  Early (1960?) and late (1961-1963?).  You notice that I'm not dead sure whether any tube ST's were built in 1963.  Then there is the "300" series and the "400" series, both six-knobbers.  You cannot judge by speakers.  Some had 12" some had 15" some had cone speakers, some had horns.  You cannot judge by the cabinet.  They used the same or similar cabinets for several years among the "300" and "400" series.  They even used the same cabinets in the all-tube and the Astro-Sonic instruments for a couple years, witness the Astro-Sonic I posted earlier.  The 1961 catalog is actually the most complete.  The 1962 catalog is the most informative about Stereo Theaters.  They made five-knobbers in 1959.  I am uncertain about the 1960 models totally.  Another interesting feature of the Stereo Theater series in total, at least in the tube days, is that there appears to be no tuning indicator in the tuner.  I have not determined whether this is a photography situation, or is the real deal.  These things are interesting, more so than I realized initially.  Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be.  I like hunting for a needle in a haystack.  The hunt is the fun for me.  I have learned to examine each instrument I find with open eyes and an open mind.  I learn something from each one I see.  I appreciate everyone's input.  There is one out there with my name on it.   :)

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2016, 01:07:17 PM »
I am concerned why this one doesn't show the TV.  He says there is a 27 inch TV in it.  Someone might have pulled the original TV and put a new HDTV in its place for all we know.  He says it's a 1962 model, but I would date it earlier than that, from 58-60, because of the tuner knobs used. 
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2016, 11:16:35 PM »
If you measure a 27" CRT diagonally, it is about 29 inches, give or take.  People usually measure the mask as well as the CRT.  A 24" CRT would thusly measure 27 inches, give or take.  I'll bet this is what they did.  I have not gotten any information yet.  That thing is perfect in almost every way considering location, condition, price.  I'll be pleasantly suprised if it is as advertised.   Magnavox like to change things without notice or reason, we can't forget that.  I would discount it being a 1958.  As far as I know, Stereo Theaters started in 1959 with the majority of the stereos.  I'd still guess 1960, but I sure would not swear to it!  I cannot document that any "six knobber" Stereo Theaters were built for the 1959 model year.  We are on the same page here, Larry......... ;)

The top picture is the tuner for a 1MV419 from 1961.  The lower picture is from the Stereo Theater from Wisconsin.  Model number unknown for certain, but allegedly is a 1MV387.

I'll be dipped.  I now see the tuning meter in the 1961 tuner.  I had not seen that before.  What about the lower picture?  I don't see a meter in it.  Eye tube, maybe?

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 12:07:41 AM »
One more thing.  The Stereo Theater in Kansas City does not have "FM-AFC".  This is something I like to see on 1961 instruments, and a feature typically found.  This fact ads further to my suspicion that this is a 1960 model and possibly not a member of the elusive "400" series of instruments.

Larry H

• Global Moderator
  • Little Rock, Arkansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
I don't see an eye tube or tuning meter in the Kansas City tuner.  The faceplate on the tuner is a 1961 faceplate, but those knobs were from 1958-59
Magnavox tuners.  Like you said, you never knew what to expect from Magnavox.
--Larry

electra225

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2016, 12:39:38 AM »
Larry, notice how the printing on the tuner face is done.  On the upper tuner pictured, the printing can be read from the front.  On the lower tuner pictured, you can only read the printing straight if you stand at the end of the cabinet.  That tuner face looks to me like the vertical tuner face on a CG or Imperial.  Probably off the old Continental series early stereo instruments.   I think they oriented the tuner on the "little" Imperial series like this, too.  I like the upper type best, I think.